cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Braking Issue

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
So need to replace brake assembly on 2016Forest River Heritage Glen and when measuring the bolt pattern I keep getting 2 7/8” all around. Yet, for this model and year and with the axles being 4.4k the pattern is 3 1/4” 3” 2 7/8”. Is it possible the factory put a lower rated brake on? The bolt pattern I have matches for 3.5k. How unsafe is this ? What should be my next course of action other than calling FR and raising hell.
11 REPLIES 11

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
clicky

If you have Dexter axles this may help

That's Handy . Keep it around in case I ever need to ask.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
clicky

If you have Dexter axles this may help
Puma 30RKSS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ajriding wrote:
2016Forest River Heritage Glen is a dual axle trailer.
With two axles and 4 brakes, then you technically need half the brake rating on the drums since you have twice as many axles.
Are there 4 drums or just 2 (which would be the front axle)?
Yes, I could see them adding up the numbers of the rating of each drum to equal the required braking needed for the trailer.

It may seem like a no-brainer that bigger brakes are better, but if the brakes are too over rated for that weight of trailer then they can be quite finiky I have expierencd.

On my cargo trailer the brakes are really hard to dial in with an empty trailer. Brakes barely grab when set at the right setting for the weight, but barely grab is hard to control and quirky at best. No, I don't need brakes with a light empty trailer, but I still try to set it...

Maybe your trailer does not have 4 powerful brakes for this or a similar reason.

OP never stated why they need to replace, I am a bit curious to say the least. Just slapping parts on it may or may not fix weak brakes..

IF it is from weak or no braking action, OP most likely does not need to replace, just fix the issue with weak braking which comes in two categories..

One MECHANICAL.

Two, ELECTRICAL.

Mechanical often comes from wear of the brake lining which is a simple fix of adjusting the brake shoes a bit tighter.

Other mechanical is rusted/stuck linkages or shoes, easy fix to dissemble/clean and reassemble.

Electrical fix is broken/corroded/damaged splices, broken wires or just plain factory substandard wiring (IE to light of wire ga for the distance).

I would tend to vote ELECTRICAL issue whenever anyone has WEAK BRAKING ACTION. Factory tends to use the lightest wire ga they can get away with, this often causes a lot of voltage drop (high resistance) which severely reduces your braking.

Often replacing/bypassing factory wire with a heavier ga wire will resolve a lot of weak braking actions.

Factory often uses non moisture proof crimp wire splices at the brake connections, these splices since they are not outdoor or , moisture proof will allow water to migrate into the splice and the wire corrodes and causes high resistance at the least of the connection or at worst the splice fails and breaks off..

Now, if OP is replacing due to cracked/broken or worn brake shoes, one must wonder what happened since it is only a 4 yr old trailer and those brakes should last a lot longer than 4 yrs unless you are excessively braking down hills and not downshifting or driving 30K-40K per yr..

If grease laden then well perhaps needs to read up on how to service the bearings properly and if equipped with grease gun lubing system to stop pumping grease in and go old school tear apart and hand grease them..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Except TTs aren’t like cargo/utility trailers that go from basically no load to full gvw. TTs are mostly loaded up right from the start.
Whatever you’re saying about the tandem axles doesn’t make sense unless it’s 2 axles on a trailer that could be carried by one of them.
OP. There’s nothing to call and complain about. Buy the brakes that fit your axle(s). And be nice to them this time. They’ll last longer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
2016Forest River Heritage Glen is a dual axle trailer.
With two axles and 4 brakes, then you technically need half the brake rating on the drums since you have twice as many axles.
Are there 4 drums or just 2 (which would be the front axle)?
Yes, I could see them adding up the numbers of the rating of each drum to equal the required braking needed for the trailer.

It may seem like a no-brainer that bigger brakes are better, but if the brakes are too over rated for that weight of trailer then they can be quite finiky I have expierencd.

On my cargo trailer the brakes are really hard to dial in with an empty trailer. Brakes barely grab when set at the right setting for the weight, but barely grab is hard to control and quirky at best. No, I don't need brakes with a light empty trailer, but I still try to set it...

Maybe your trailer does not have 4 powerful brakes for this or a similar reason.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you go to a local trailer supply place and talk to them. They will probably have exactly what you need.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brake assy's typically are setup for RANGES of weight based on the DRUM SIZE.

IF you have a 10" drum on your axles then the brake assy for 3,500 lbs SHOULD BE correct.

The next size up is 12" drum which typically is used on 5,200 lb and higher axles.

7" drum and brakes are typically used on axles below 3K lbs.

You could CALL Etrailer and ask for technical help, most likely they will confirm 3,500 brake assy for 4,400 axles.

I have axles rated 3,300 lbs per the tag and have 10" drums, 3,500 lb brake assys fit and work perfectly.

And, 2016 trailer that is only 3-4 camping seasons, what the heck did you do to NEED to replace the brake assy's? I replaced ORIGINAL brake assys on mine two yrs ago and it is a 1980s 26ft TT..

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is... but what I have now measures 2 7/8” around and I can not find a 4.4k brake assembly with this measure - only 3.5k yet my axle stamp says 4.4k

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this the one you are looking at? It's from etrailer.

Specs:

Application: most standard hub-and-drum assemblies, including Dexter or Lippert (LCI)
Configuration: right hand (passenger's side)
Dimensions: 10" diameter x 2-1/4" wide
Mounting flange bolt pattern: 4 bolt
Measurement from center of top mounting stud to center of top mounting stud: 2-7/8"
Measurement from center of bottom mounting stud to center of bottom mounting stud: 3-1/4"
Measurement from center of top mounting studs to center of bottom mounting studs: 3"
Wheel size: 13", 14", and 15"
Axle rating: 4,400 lbs
Fits axles manufactured after May, 2009
Limited 5-year warranty
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I can. There is a serial number and part number and it does say 4.4k axle .

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can you crawl underneath & see if there's a decal on the axle tube that lists the part number?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......