cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Door hard to open from outside

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Holiday rambler monaco. The door opens easily from the inside but from the outside i have to pull hard on the handle. Ive lubricated everything, its not the door sticking as it opens easily from the inside.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins
52 REPLIES 52

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Going to order a new handle and replace it myself. From lincs sent from you fine people it seems like a relatively simple job.
Thankyou everyone for the help!
340 HP Cummins

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
Monaramblee wrote:
If the inside handle easily opens both latches does that rule out adjustment? Isnt the long rod operated by both the inside and outside handles? The outside handle willopen both latches if i jerk the handle hard.....

You would think so, but the inside handle has a larger range of movement than the outside. That means that the door will stop working sooner with the outside handle while the inside will still function.

After removing the cover i do see that the inside handle moves the mechanism much more then the outside handle.
340 HP Cummins

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got the access panel off.
The inside handle has a horizontal bar that pulls on the latch mechanism and the outside has a vertical bar attached to the same latch mechanism and it has some kind of nut maybe an adjustment nut in the middle of the bar or shaft. When using the outside handle ( or whats left of it ) it does not pull the mechanism as much as the inside handle does. So im wondering if I tighten or loosen that nut will it increase the travel.
340 HP Cummins

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Ok i will and thanks for the info.
340 HP Cummins

ARMDR
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, yeah, he has a youtube video showing an install, which is how I found him. Search for Fix broken RV door handle. Or something like that.

ARMDR
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry, I didn't see your question until now. (brain fade) The seller on ebay is sportssnutt. Since the time when you asked, I've found out that the guy has a website for a different product, but it has a page for the kits and a button to buy with Paypal.

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
So today the outside handle broke leaving a piece at the top and bottom.The top does nothing but the remaining small piece of handle at the bottom opens the door better then before the handle broke. So now i dont think it needs an adjustment i think the handle had issues.
340 HP Cummins

Penny07
Explorer
Explorer
There are ***Link Removed***magnetic screen door which are easy to open.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Would you by chance have a link to the kit available from E-Bay?

ARMDR wrote:
There is a kit on the market to fix the Trimark 060-1650 or T507 handle. I have had 3 of the handles break, 2 of them the pot metal striker, and one of the steel ones. The steel one didn't break the metal, but a plastic piece broke and jammed the handle. A friend told me about this kit, and I got 3 of them. They took 3 minutes to install, and there's no plastic to break. I found them on Ebay. After spending over $500, I was ready to try anything.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
Monaramblee wrote:
If the inside handle easily opens both latches does that rule out adjustment? Isnt the long rod operated by both the inside and outside handles? The outside handle willopen both latches if i jerk the handle hard.....

You would think so, but the inside handle has a larger range of movement than the outside. That means that the door will stop working sooner with the outside handle while the inside will still function.

Thank you for that info it makes sense. Now if i can get the inside handle cover off i will be in business.
340 HP Cummins

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Monaramblee wrote:

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

ARMDR
Explorer
Explorer
There is a kit on the market to fix the Trimark 060-1650 or T507 handle. I have had 3 of the handles break, 2 of them the pot metal striker, and one of the steel ones. The steel one didn't break the metal, but a plastic piece broke and jammed the handle. A friend told me about this kit, and I got 3 of them. They took 3 minutes to install, and there's no plastic to break. I found them on Ebay. After spending over $500, I was ready to try anything.

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
340 HP Cummins

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice writeup. My issue was the outside Trimark pot metal latch. It cracked at the bottom which is where all the stress is to open the door. I was able to use a screwdriver on the lower piece to open the door. When the new one also failed on the road I used JB Weld to get home and replace it. However once home applied another layer of JB Weld. Did the same on the old latch and carry it in the MH. Years later the first repaired latch is still in use.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob