cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire care. Park on wood?

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve heard long term parking on wood instead of concrete is better. Anyone know if true and why?
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
8 REPLIES 8

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
I have talked to engineers at major tire companies for articles and they said #1 for preserving tires is as previous poster put to lyrics:

"THey like to go rolling rolling rolling keep those wheels rolling. Keep oils flowing around. protective oils rise up, when you drive up.. keepign the rubber soft and sound. Tires love driving. for their lives it is saving. Helping to keep them nice and round."

Also I've found 303 Protectant to be excellent for rubber and vinyl (like spa cover). It has UV screens, is made in USA, easy to apply and makes tires look great (not greasy, not sticky)

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Park my trailer tires on old roofing shingles, keeps them out of dirt. Don't think concrete matters.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the sun off when parked and you will be fine.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back in the days of the Model T. yes this was true.. Or so i'm told (I'm not quite that old) today's tires are made of different stuff so that's an old driver's tale.

Now here is a fact: the worst thing you can do for tires: PARK (long Term)

THey like to go rolling rolling rolling keep those wheels rolling. Keep oils flowing around. protective oils rise up, when you drive up.. keepign the rubber soft and sound. Tires love driving. for their lives it is saving. Helping to keep them nice and round.

(Sorry I tend to write alternative verses to songs... Rawhide in this case)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I went to my local truck stop and got three big boy mud flaps.
Cut one in half for front tires and have been parking on them for years.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That wood stuff in for parking on soil or gravel, where you might sink in over time. Cover the sun-side of the exposed tire with tire covers or plywood, as 2oldman says.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Those you heard from are tire engineers, chemists or otherwise qualified to make recommendations?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My research (google) shows it doesn't matter. What's more damaging is constant sun exposure.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman