cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig for two couples?

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friend asked me what kind of camper I’d recommend for two couples to travel together. They are wanting to take a big, multi-month US and Canada tour with his sister and her husband. After the trip they’d decide to keep the rig, trade it for something else or just sell it.

They are fairly close, but I’m not sure I’d want to be confined to a 5th wheel and the cab of a truck for so much time with any other couple 🙂

I told him I thought he should be looking for a bunkhouse, but I couldn’t say which one. As most are designed with the idea of kids in the bunk area, the accommodations are going to be a little less comfortable in the back.

Is there such a unicorn with a comfortable bunk area? My personal thought would be a bunk room with a TV and comfortable seating so you can get away from each other if needed. Obviously the bunk area reduces the living area, so things are tighter when you are together.

Thoughts?
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
45 REPLIES 45

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to have one custom built with two queen beds and two bathrooms. Use to see several custom built units for harvest crews that had separate sleeping compartments for multiple people with their own entrance. While it might not be my cup of tea (would agree to two trailers and vehicles for privacy) it's their decision.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never seen an RV with two queen beds.
OK maybe seen 2x queen in a pop-up with a bed at each end but I can't imagine that would work either.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Fish and guests both smell after three days- Mark Twain

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
We have a large fifth-wheel toy hauler and we often invite other couples to join us. We call the garage the "guest room". It's pretty comfortable back there once we unload the car. We have two queens that pull down from the ceiling, or a queen on top and dinette on the bottom.

It's a lot different to have owners/guests than co-owners though. We have the nice front bedroom because we own it, and our friends are happy to be back in the guest room.

Might work for a weekend or a week, long term won't happen. Everyone has to be on the same schedule and that's hard enough for married people, 4 never happen.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Two good ways to destroy a friendship: work together or live together.

Get two campers.

Well said.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to the suggestions you folks gave me, I gave these folks a suggestion that has them all guardedly excited.

I recommended that they use a Grand Design Momentum 397TH as a basis for comparison Because it has two full baths, though the second is small. They are fairly excited about the idea of converting the garage and rear bath into a semi-private suite with its own outside entrance. Even thinking about taking two motorcycles along for the scenic rides and leaving the factory furniture in the garage.

They seem totally unconcerned about being in close quarters.

I will keep you all updated.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bighorn traveler. It is 42’ and about 450’ of total living space. There is an apartment, although small, it has a double sofa bed And will sleep 2. The extra plus, is the living area is large and open. The bathroom is separate from the front suit bedroom so there is appropriate separation for couples. If kids are involved, there is a large loft so that will sleep 4 kids comfortably.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the suggestion of a Toyhauler with an extra bedroom is a good one. With the caviar that the couples understand that the camper is for sleeping, eating. The rest of the time sit outside or check out the local entertainment.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are great for six people for drinks, four people for dinner and two people for sleeping. Yes, an occasional guest or couple will work but the key word here is occasional.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtofell1 wrote:
Maybe we could get some more jokes about two couples struggling to get along in the same RV.... I don't think everyone quite gets the point yet. OP asked a legitimate question and 95% of the responses are just the same (lame) joke being churned over and over and over and over again. Come on people.... get some good material or give it a rest..... or, even better, help OP with the question he asked.

From what I've read the OP has been getting some good advice with a bit of banter thrown it. Such is typical of internet forums, not just this forum or this thread. Most people with an IQ above room temperature could surmise from the comments that most people think it would be a tough situation for 2 couples for any length of time and travel. But maybe some people don't have the cognitive ability to figure that out from the comments. Obviously so. Some people need everything explained to them in detail, using small words and in black and white, so as not to confuse them or require any thinking.
In case there is someone in the future reading the thread who is unable to formulate complex thought and needs things explained only in very analytical terms here's what the US Housing and Urban Development has to say about overcrowding in housing. They classify overcrowding when a person has less than 165 sq ft of living space.
Does the HUD standard apply in RVing? Every individual has different requirements and situations they will tolerate. To make that even clearer, there is no definite answer to the OP's question. What they may feel comfortable with for another couple would be entirely unacceptable.
Reading your comment what you think would work for you is an arrangement that would be totally unacceptable to me.
Camped in every state

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think a class A dp pulling a toy hauler with a couple of Goldwings in the garage could work quite nicely.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
They may as well do a YouTube channel while they are traveling. The Long Trailer Part 2.
The upside is that they are family and have a much better chance of doing OK with it. One of my sisters I could make it work with, the other 2 not so much.
Puma 30RKSS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we could get some more jokes about two couples struggling to get along in the same RV.... I don't think everyone quite gets the point yet. OP asked a legitimate question and 95% of the responses are just the same (lame) joke being churned over and over and over and over again. Come on people.... get some good material or give it a rest..... or, even better, help OP with the question he asked.

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
Some responses here remind me of when I rented a 12 passenger van and they tried to give me 2 cars because they didn't have the van when I got there. Defeats the whole purpose of me renting the van! I'm guessing the couples have made up their mind and are looking for info on what trailer may best suit them. Not whether or not it's a good idea or doable.

I agree with those who said look for more than 1 bathroom and go from there. Also the toy hauler which has the beds that drops down or opens up into a big one seems better than a bunk house. That class C towing a trailer seems pretty reasonable but I'm guessing they want a non RV to get around in at their destinations.
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD