cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tybee Island, GA. Rivers End Campground./Info Appreciated

Brockc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a ten day trip scheduled for mid June at Rivers End on Tybee Island. It will be my first time there and I would like the inside professional report from those who know.
The pros,cons,things to do, be aware of, etc...
Any help is appreciated.

Brock
9 REPLIES 9

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
December is usually still pretty nice, weather wise. The no-see-ums will be out in force though.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
Planning our third trip to Tybee this December, will be the first with the motorhome and first time staying at Rivers End. So far they have been very nice to work with and accommodating. While we know December weather isn't optimum, hoping for the best and just excited to spend some time down in one of our favorite places. We were married on Tybee a few years ago. Hoping to try out some new places in town (have only ever visited/eaten at Sundae Cafe, Coco's and North Beach Bar & Grill). Hoping to get a Uber or other transport up to Savannah as well.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
The Georgia coastline is ground zero to our crop of no-see-ums. They are the flying teeth of the south. No matter what you put on them, the only relief is a stiff breeze.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Rivers End with a 34' 5th wheel two years ago. We had a back-in site and found it mildly tight, but workable. Some sites were a bit more crowded. We are speed walkers so we got around the park several times and noticed those sites on the street were not very private.

We spent most of our time in downtown Savannah walking the parks, river area, and shops. We also took a nice day trip up to Charleston, SC. If you get up there go to the old part of town and walk the side streets. Some beautiful old homes and yards.

On Tybee we enjoyed eating at Bubba Gumbo's which isn't very far from the campground. Not real easy to find, but laid-back and good food.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
I am a local. In addition to what has already been said, the are many other things to do in Tybee and Savannah if everything is opened by back up by then. Be sure to take Captain Mike's Dolphin tour. Things are opening up gradually so you may want to check on specific things before you get here. Right now Fort Pulaski and the lighthoure are still closed. As of now some restaurants are still take out only, others are open with social distancing. Several have outdoor seating. Don't miss the Crab Shack or North Beach Grill. PM me if you have specific questions.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like others said, Rivers End is very snug. You'll be on top of your neighbors. I wouldn't want to hang out at the campground, personally. You're right on Tybee Island, so very convenient for the beach if that's your objective. Short distance to Savannah, which is a beautiful city. We visit there very year. Vinny Van Go Go's pizza is the best in the city, FYI.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of other things to do in Savannah.
Walk the old cemetary downtown. Many graves are from around 1800 and tell, the stories of those interred, from Cholera outbreaks to wars, as well as families lost together. And the Spanish moss in the trees is beautiful.
Waterfront area has been converted, some of the old cotton and tobacco warehouse areas now are bars and restaurants.
Bit of a hoof but a day trip to Congaree National park in south Carolina, (about 2 hours away) or Charleston SC for some tours as well as Ft Sumter. (also about 2 hrs away)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty close in at River's End and the sites come right up to the narrow street in places. We checked it out our last trip to the area. It has really changed and gotten more crowded that it was several years ago when we used to visit there. The lady at the desk says the City of Tybee owns it now. Too tight for us to get ourcoach in most of the sites during a busy season.
The old fort(?) or the concrete structures near the light house are being converted to either offices or condos. Even in the Jeep it was confusing finding a way out of the area.
There is a few local restaurants and cafes that are good to visit.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have 10 days, you can easily do everything multiple times. There's not a whole lot to do on Tybee Island, except the beach. There is the light house and museum. It's your typical light house, not the tallest that I've climbed, but still offers great views from the top. If you can get a complete tour of the museum, it is worth it. They may only do that for small groups, not sure.

There's enough to do in Savannah for a day or two. If you like trains, there is the Railroad Museum. There is also Old Fort Jackson. I'd recommend purchasing one of the trolley tours that will allow you to cover a lot of the city. There is ample parking on River Street, but I wouldn't take a RV into the city.

Fort Pulaski is about 20 minutes or so south and worth half a day or more. Skidaway Island State Park is a nice half day visit as well, if you are into hiking and nature. This is where I'd prefer to camp over River's End. Jekyll Island is about an hour south and is a very nice island. Only 35% developed where you can watch deer grazing in open fields, watch Alligators watch you and lots of other wildlife. The historic downtown district is a nice tour, the trolley tour is a little over priced as the area is easily walked.

Hilton Head is a short drive north from Savannah and worth a day's visit. If you don't mind road trips, I'd recommend heading north to Charleston if you've never been. We prefer Charleston over Savannah. For us, it is a 1 hour drive to Savannah and a 3 hour drive to Charleston. We'd pick Charleston every time and have done day trips to Charleston many times.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)