cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Double towing

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if I don't agree with a law I can usually at least understand the reasoning behind why a law is put in place, but, the no double towing law that BC and some states have is something I can't even imagine a reason for? Does the no double towing law actually get enforced? Have any of you who double tow successfully double towed across no double tow states without being ticketed? Has anyone been ticketed for trying?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
36 REPLIES 36

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
DallasSteve wrote:
I vote for no double towing, especially big rigs. Hire another driver. We need to put Americans back to work. Besides I feel they are much more dangerous. Why not 100 trailers behind one freaking powerful semi? Because it's dangerous.

You "feel" double towing is much more dangerous. If you had some experience towing double with a suitable set up you'd "know" double towing can be very safe.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Even if I don't agree with a law I can usually at least understand the reasoning behind why a law is put in place, but, the no double towing law that BC and some states have is something I can't even imagine a reason for? Does the no double towing law actually get enforced? Have any of you who double tow successfully double towed across no double tow states without being ticketed? Has anyone been ticketed for trying?

You have not read my multiple double tow posts???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
in BC they will enforce it, they will make you unhook right there and figure out a different way to get your second trailer home.

Steve

Right there on a busy Interstate Highway???????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
in BC they will enforce it, they will make you unhook right there and figure out a different way to get your second trailer home.

Steve
Did this happen to you, or are you passing along what you've heard/been told?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
My brother owns a trailer business: horse trailers, flat bed, dump, etc. They are often delivered here to VA by guys with dually pick-ups. They come in from out around Kansas, Iowa, etc. Often the guys will pull two in. Sometimes they make it all the way to the dealership without being stopped. Sometimes they don't. When they are stopped they are not allowed to proceed with both trailers from where they are stopped. This requires calling a tow truck to come get one of them or making a return trip after delivering the first one if the cop will let it sit along the interstate for a while. They claim to save enough money bringing two at a time that it pays them to take the chance.
I would love to double tow in VA. I've personally asked 3 different DOT cops if I could do it if my truck and both trailers were registered as commercial vehicles, if I had a double trailer endorsement on my CDL, and I ran a log book. They have all said no. One DOT cop said he also would like to double tow but doesn't because it's illegal. He pointed to his partner standing next to him and said "He'd be right there waiting to write me up." "That's right." his partner agreed.

I've seen a lot of trailer deliveries where the 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) trailers stacked on top, with the wheels removed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
rsgs wrote:
I have towed doubles (have my endorsement from the state of MI) only in my home state, which allows for Fifth wheels ONLY. With that said, I know I am in violation of the overall length (crew cab long box, 32' fifth, and a 18' boat) puts me around 74' total. I haven't been stopped yet and I try not to do it frequently. Only up north to take the camper and boat up in the spring, and in the fall to bring them back. I have a solid setup with all safety considerations in place (safety chains, solid hitch on the fifth, lights all work). By the way, it tows like a dream...

And it would tow like a dream in BC or Washington as well. Do you have working brakes on the second trailer?

No I don't. Boat is a single axle 18' aluminum Walleye getter. I have upgraded HighPo disks on the truck and 5th wheel. Honestly, I can't even feel the boat back there, including when I'm braking. With no rear camera, I swerve slightly every now and then to make sure it's back there. A rear camera is in the future, but not right now. $500 for a camera isn't going to happen. Maybe next 'stimulus' check...

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
My wifeโ€™s uncle from Alberta made a super heavy duty frame mounted receiver for our fiver so Iโ€™m not at all concerned about that, but I would need to add a plug for the boat trailer lights which I canโ€™t see being too difficult. My boat trailer has surge brakes which work well, and my fiver (as well as 4x4โ€™s) has disc brakes which work much better than any trailer Iโ€™ve ever owned.

I agree that itโ€™s a stupid law; it could work very well by having the proper requirements for set ups and driver licensing.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
rsgs wrote:
I have towed doubles (have my endorsement from the state of MI) only in my home state, which allows for Fifth wheels ONLY. With that said, I know I am in violation of the overall length (crew cab long box, 32' fifth, and a 18' boat) puts me around 74' total. I haven't been stopped yet and I try not to do it frequently. Only up north to take the camper and boat up in the spring, and in the fall to bring them back. I have a solid setup with all safety considerations in place (safety chains, solid hitch on the fifth, lights all work). By the way, it tows like a dream...

And it would tow like a dream in BC or Washington as well. Do you have working brakes on the second trailer?
B&W Companion

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
years ago when it was illegal to tow double in Ark. we were towing double across Ark. to Al. we stopped to fuel in Jonesboro, Ark. While fueling an Ark.patrolman also stopped to fuel. He looked our Unit over, I asked ' Officer, see anything? he replied you are illegal in this state, legal in yours. You have towed this far so as long as you dont have trouble here, we will let you through. If you have trouble, we will come down on you hard.

The double standard in many AHJs that allow or deny private unit towing rules is absurd.
In N. Caroliina today doubles are permitted if you have a NASCAR sticker on the trailer even if one is a boat., not if the first is a 5er

I have appealed to national (ARVC) and state leaders many times to lead effort to standardize rules for. recreational units the same way as Commercial units have.

Nothing will change until private rvers drivers licenses and equipment are vetted in the same standard as ICC drivers and rules for equipment..

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
My brother owns a trailer business: horse trailers, flat bed, dump, etc. They are often delivered here to VA by guys with dually pick-ups. They come in from out around Kansas, Iowa, etc. Often the guys will pull two in. Sometimes they make it all the way to the dealership without being stopped. Sometimes they don't. When they are stopped they are not allowed to proceed with both trailers from where they are stopped. This requires calling a tow truck to come get one of them or making a return trip after delivering the first one if the cop will let it sit along the interstate for a while. They claim to save enough money bringing two at a time that it pays them to take the chance.
I would love to double tow in VA. I've personally asked 3 different DOT cops if I could do it if my truck and both trailers were registered as commercial vehicles, if I had a double trailer endorsement on my CDL, and I ran a log book. They have all said no. One DOT cop said he also would like to double tow but doesn't because it's illegal. He pointed to his partner standing next to him and said "He'd be right there waiting to write me up." "That's right." his partner agreed.
Well, he must not be watching all the time because I spent a couple weeks in Virginia with my 5th wheel pulling my swivel-wheel type trailer and never got a second look.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
As long as we are talking about what some think are stupid laws. Lets talk about California's 55 MPH speed limit for truck combinations, yet a short wheel base box(think highly unstable) can run at 70 MPH! Never made sense to me. I did notice that trucks that a few years ago ran at 59 MPH(I tagged along with them) were traveling at 61-62 last week(again I tagged along with thime) when we came North.

Anyone towing anything 55 in CA. Trucks with more than one axle 55 in CA.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve definitely thought about it here in BC. I have an 18โ€™ Maxum bowrider boat that would handle just fine behind my fiver. I have plenty of truck, a heavy, full frame fiver, and a CDL so I would be safer than many of the others out there.

My better half doesnโ€™t think itโ€™s a good idea though, so sheโ€™s still pulling the boat with the Yukon but itโ€™s a PITA.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes