cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shark bites for plumbing

ocean_bound
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody use shark bites in their motorhome in the plumbing system And how well are they holding up I just used two of the push on shark bites in the bathroom fixture made the job a lot Easier Just curious how they hold up in a motorhome or trailer
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft
26 REPLIES 26

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 68 years old so I may not outlive any Shark bite. I think their especially good in close clearance area's where you can't fit a tool. But if you have a bigger project and you need lots of them, it can be spendy enough it might make it worth it to buy the pex tools. There are guys who have done their whole house with Shark bites. A good review of all the pex tools and different fittings is on youtube by a plumber named "the old kid" He's used them all and shows their strengths and weaknesses.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Shark bite connections are not "yet" 25 YO but my coach is. No leaks. No worries.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have seen plenty of copper failures within 25 years. Nothing lasts forever.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
Shark Bites's are only guaranteed for 25 years. What about you guys who keep your rig longer than that? ๐Ÿ™‚ Would that be anybody?

Guess I'm on the edge of 25 years.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Shark Bites's are only guaranteed for 25 years. What about you guys who keep your rig longer than that? ๐Ÿ™‚ Would that be anybody?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I haven't tried them in an RV but I have used them a couple times in home plumbing. They often leak in my experience. I only use them in an emergency or as a last resort. If at all possible I use the "real" connector appropriate for the pipe.
Last time I used on I was trying to save time. I had to install it 3 times and it still leaked so I finally just sweated on a crimp fitting to connect the copper and pex. I should have just done that to begin with. It would have saved time and aggravation.

Then you have no Ideal how to use them correctly. maybe not the right tool or sizing them right but if done right they don't leak.....
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than SharkBite, try Flair-it fittings for those Pex problems. Simple to use, durable and low cost.
Pex is not tubing it is pipe. Thus SharkBite works on both copper pipe and Pex pipe.
When using SharkBite, make sure and bevel the edges of the pipe so as not to knick the "O" ring seal.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
The key to Shark Bites is to use a cutting tool to make darn sure the cut is prefect with no angle then listen for two (2) clicks when you push them together.

I have never had one leak but know of occasions when people say they always leak.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

chuckftboy wrote:
There is a reason that the industry uses Pex tube with a Pex clamp. If you have a choice buy the Pex tool and clamps. Way more secure.

Yea there is a reason.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The industry would not use the more expensive shark bites...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a reason that the industry uses Pex tube with a Pex clamp. If you have a choice buy the Pex tool and clamps. Way more secure.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Two keys to success I've found over the years with any of the push-on fittings are to make sure the end of the tubing is cut square and especially with copper tubing, that the cut is fully deburred so the O-rings aren't damaged on insertion.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've used them several times over the years, on copper (in the S&B) and PEX (in the MH). Never had one leak.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't tried them in an RV but I have used them a couple times in home plumbing. They often leak in my experience. I only use them in an emergency or as a last resort. If at all possible I use the "real" connector appropriate for the pipe.
Last time I used on I was trying to save time. I had to install it 3 times and it still leaked so I finally just sweated on a crimp fitting to connect the copper and pex. I should have just done that to begin with. It would have saved time and aggravation.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Yep many times even used a shark bite shut off valve on the water line when installing a new toilet.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport