cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 50 from Winchester VA to Chillicothe OH

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We would like travel RT 50 from Virginia to Ohio but don't know if the route is good all the way through for our 38' motorhome. Any info. is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
11 REPLIES 11

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I guess to each his own. I have property in WV and travel from Winchester to my property via 50 regularly. It is a very doable drive but I do not consider it relaxing or enjoyable.
It is as drive that I consider a bit of a work out. Sure I have been on a lot worse roads as I said it is doable. But driving that stretch of 50 in WV is not how I like to spend my time.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rt 50 is one of our most favourite roads. At one time or another we have about done the whole thing from Ocean City, MD. to Sacramento, CA.

Can't say that any of it is especially difficult other than getting through towns that don't have a bypass.

It comes down to if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, take the interstates. If you want to see the country do the roads that used to be the prime roads before the interstates. 50 is an excellent example of a road well worth doing.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:
Sure wouldnโ€™t want to take a pretty road because of climbs and switchbacks. Gotta keep on schedule!

Cheap shot.

The guy is planning ahead for safety and you make a crack like that. You of all people should know better.

Besides that, you already commented that the road is fine. Well which is it?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sure wouldnโ€™t want to take a pretty road because of climbs and switchbacks. Gotta keep on schedule!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have done that trip a million times in about everything with wheels. Last trip was in a 40ft DP with a toad. Its sometimes steep and crooked but I have never had a problem with it. I am booked in up there June 10 just waiting on word from private camp ground.....State camp sites still have a 14 day quarantine for people from out of state. But unless you are unsure of yourself and your rig I would go ahead, the scenery is worth it.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are worried about that road, don't go out West.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
That would be a tough drive with a 38' motorhome. Many hills, twists and turns. We just drove through some of in in WV in a car.

Nice drive, beautiful, but I would not want to do in towing or in a MH.

Jjsimon111
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you purchase the Rand McNally's trucker's atlas that will give you the info that you need, if a semi can do so can you. I use this when I'm going on a new route that I've not done yet.

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
purplekeenah wrote:
That's a very picturesque route for a motorcycle, nice views in a car or a pickup truck. Route 50 from Winchester to Clarksburg, WV is a two lane road that has plenty of steep grades, switchbacks, etc. In a 38' rig the drive won't be that pleasurable.

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
That's a very picturesque route for a motorcycle, nice views in a car or a pickup truck. Route 50 from Winchester to Clarksburg, WV is a two lane road that has plenty of steep grades, switchbacks, etc. In a 38' rig the drive won't be that pleasurable.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
U.S. Highway 50 meets all federal standards. I would not hesitate to take the portions I have not traveled.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad