cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at 2013 Cougar 28sgs 5th wheel

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at this 2013 Cougar 5th wheel. I believe it is a light model at 6000 + lbs. I am not familiar with the Cougar line although I know that cougars are popular. I sold my 10,000 lbs. 2012 Sundance 3200RL last year, as we hadn't used it in a few years, and now want to return to rving.
Can anyone help me with their opinion of the Cougar? It seems a quite lite. I am wondering how it will hold up? I just have a lot of questions?
9 REPLIES 9

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duke-44.. I'm alittle late to the action but anyway my 2 cents worth. This is pertnear the middle of 2020 and your looking at a 2013 model wondering how it will hold up. Must not be built to bad as it is still around unless it has been parked in a dealers lot for the last 4 or 5 years. We have its sister rig a 2014 26sab. Bought it brand spanking new and has over 10,000 miles on it and still going strong with no cabinets falling off the wall, awning coming loose & flapping in the wind or front cap fading. Hasn't been in the shop except for new rubber & bearing repacks. After every trip I give it a thorough going over, preventive maintenance check. Luck of the draw I guess.

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Duke-44 wrote:
Thanks everyone I decided not to go for this model.

FWIW, I looked at Cougars several years ago and they, like many other FWs, had pretty anemic-sized tanks, especially the black tank. For those of us that like to boondock, that takes them right off the list. After buying my KZ, I'd encourage you to look at older KZs. In that vintage, they were still privately owned (now owned by Thor) and, IMO, quality was better than it is now.

Lyle

Thanks for the advice. The tank size did bother me. I actually do more boondocking than hookups. What years of KZ would you recommend?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Duke-44 wrote:

FWIW, I looked at Cougars several years ago and they, like many other FWs, had pretty anemic-sized tanks, especially the black tank. For those of us that like to boondock, that takes them right off the list. After buying my KZ, I'd encourage you to look at older KZs. In that vintage, they were still privately owned (now owned by Thor) and, IMO, quality was better than it is now.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer

GPG52_
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Duke-44, We have had good luck with the Cougar line (we have two). A few common complaints which I addressed with the dealer before delivery and had no problem once I brought it back for warranty. But again we have a great dealer. i)front cap fading (repaired 100% warranty)
ii) on board electronic panel (100% warranty)
Where I would be cautious is the lite vs. standard model,
to get to the lite (1500 series units) you need to be prepared to sacrifice something.
Check the wall thickness, lite tend to be thinner = less insulation hotter in the summer, colder in the fall. Some have complained that the front cap bed models get very hot for sleeping at night.
Check for framing (this is difficult, look at the specs) but lite models tend to have less framing, we had an awning tear out because it was bolted only in the wall skin, not anchored in a stud. Often framing is around windows, door and spread far apart along the length of the box.
Check interior cupboards, lite models tend to have shallow cupboards sometimes less are installed again because of the structural design.
Check the size of your basement and access to it. Although most are still pass-through, many are restricted in height. Good news/Bad news lite models often are lower profile to the ground (smaller tire size etc.) however this sometimes is an issue when trying to combine with a late model truck which tends to be higher profile.
So bottom line is "it depends" on what you want to do.
Weekend vs. long distance traveling; cost/benefit; tow vehicle; long term plans etc.
Good luck, whatever you purchase it will likely be your pride and joy.
GPG from Canada EH!
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I am concerned about it being considered in the LITE category. This one seems to be about 2000 lbs. lighter than a regular weight unit.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I see a bunch of Cougars on the road. Somebody must like them.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely the worst RV I have had was a 2018 Cougar TT. It was so bad, we hardly got to use it because it was in the shop so much. Kept it less than a year and took a big loss when I wholesaled it to a dealer just to get rid of it. The workmanship and "quality control" was non-existent, and the customer service from the factory was just as bad.

Buy something else and you'll be better off!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my.....people in general have lots of opinions about brands ...some based on facts and actual experience of owning one....and others based on something that was heard.
Having owned 3 truck campers and 3 different brands of 5th wheel trailers over the years I didn't put much stock on what others thought. There isn't a RV brand or a line of rv's out there that someone won't bash.

Check in on one of the Keystone forums and ask Cougar owners that question but just remember there are thousands of satisfied customers out here with that unit.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides