cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Anti-freeze question.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I used RV anti-freeze for the first time this past winter. Previously I just drained lines and used my compressor to blow the remaining water out.

Since I have cancelled travel plans for this summer, and really have no ability to tell if I can even travel this fall, I'm questioning as to if I should drain the solution out of my trailer.

Is there any reason it can't be left in the lines for extended periods, as in 12 months? Of course I'm really hoping things will improve and I'll be back camping in a few months, but if not, I see no reason to have to drain and then refill next winter.
23 REPLIES 23

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Apologies to the OP. This thread really turned into garbage. I'll do some cleaning...

It seemed like such a simple question too.

Yes, seemed simple to me. I had no idea when I made the OP that the question could lead to other subjects as fast as it did. There is some really good info on this forum, and I did get some good advice to my original question. I appreciate those responders.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
My previous coach had excellent low point drains. No pink stuff, no pumping air into lines, just open faucets and the low point drains. Kudos to Country Coach for that. On my current coach I donโ€™t have that luxury, but Winnebago was nice enough to install a hose by the pump to poke into an antifreeze jug so I use that. What I really donโ€™t understand is why people leave the pink stuff on their lines all winter instead of just opening their low point drains and dumping it. Even my Class B has low point drains. I donโ€™t trust them or I wouldnโ€™t use the pink stuff, but they do empty a lot of fluids.

Dave

No low point drains in my rig or at least none that I have been able to find. The only fresh water drain is the fresh water holding tank. As to why the antifreeze is left in all winter, well, thatโ€™s what my owners manual directed me to do. ??
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
My previous coach had excellent low point drains. No pink stuff, no pumping air into lines, just open faucets and the low point drains. Kudos to Country Coach for that. On my current coach I donโ€™t have that luxury, but Winnebago was nice enough to install a hose by the pump to poke into an antifreeze jug so I use that. What I really donโ€™t understand is why people leave the pink stuff on their lines all winter instead of just opening their low point drains and dumping it. Even my Class B has low point drains. I donโ€™t trust them or I wouldnโ€™t use the pink stuff, but they do empty a lot of fluids.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Monaramblee wrote:
If you drain the antifreeze and do not add water, your coach remains winterized. So if in doubt drain it out. Maybe catch some of it when you're draining and pour it in the toilet bowl before winter.

How are you draining it? I hook up the fresh water and flush it all out?

I was thinking just use the pump to drain the antifreeze out of the lines without the use of water. This eliminates any long standing potential issues to the plumbing lines ( i have no idea if there are any) and keeps the coach winterized for the next winter.
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Monaramblee wrote:
If you drain the antifreeze and do not add water, your coach remains winterized. So if in doubt drain it out. Maybe catch some of it when you're draining and pour it in the toilet bowl before winter.

How are you draining it? I hook up the fresh water and flush it all out?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

dedmiston
This seemed like such a simple question:

Is there any reason it can't be left in the lines for extended periods, as in 12 months?

Who knew this would start a troll fight?

Fourteen posts deleted and I think it's back on topic now. Apologies to some of you whose polite replies were deleted with the rest of the tangent conversation.

And to anyone who wants to have a debate about using a compressor, you're welcome to start a new thread and keep it civil.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Apologies to the OP. This thread really turned into garbage. I'll do some cleaning...

It seemed like such a simple question too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should have a cold one and not get into the ozone layer.

Relax, I am leaving my antifreeze in till I see what happens down the road.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest getting the RV "summer ready" to at least make sure all the systems are working. Do any repairs now.

Heck, you might want to do some "driveway camping" (using your camper while it is at your house) this summer just for the fun of it!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I drain the pink stuff out of my lines immediately after winterizing so nothing is left in the lines and it makes flushing much faster in the spring.

This is what I do. The pink stuff did its job which is to remove water from the system. After doing that there is no reason to leave it in the lines so I drain it right out.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I would drain and flush the system but leave the heater bypassed and re winterized if necessary.

Antifreeze is cheap, water leaks can be expensive.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt very seriously that leaving it in is going to cause any trouble for you. It might lose the ability to prevent freeze up by a few degrees but I wouldn't worry too much about that either.

I would question why you would do this in the first place. Just flush it out of the lines and be done with it. If you have it in your HW tank then you have some issues to deal with. Don't allow it to get into your tank.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would drain and flush simply because leaving it in year round isn't what it was formulated for or how it was intended to be used.