cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bunkhouse trailer comparable to Jayco Eagle

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
With 3 kids our TC was just too small so now I"m in the market for a travel trailer with 4 bunk beds. These are quite hard to find for some reason as most manufacturers want to take out one bunk in favor of an outdoor kitchen.
We travel more than camp. We ride around the country sight seeing and stay at campgrounds for a day or two tops and then move one. Our trips are usually for 2 weeks or more at a time covering thousands of miles. We probably spend nearly 30 nights a year in the RV. My 2 boys are rowdy and rough on furnishings. I need a travel trailer that will stand up to this type of use. Also, I want some fairly good sized tanks and cargo carrying capacity. I also like the idea of the wrap-around front cap.
The Jayco Eagle line as well as the Jayco White Hawk line seem to fit this description. It also seems like maybe Keystone Outback and Forest River Rockwood would be similar. What other models should I be looking at? Any opinions on the brands and lines mentioned?
I'm basically only shopping used. Trying to stay under $25,000 at most. Really, under $20,000 would be ideal.
The tow vehicle will be a diesel dually so I'm not concerned with weight. In fact, all these "ultra light" trailers scare me a bit. I wonder what all they sacrificed to save the weight.
7 REPLIES 7

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had time to look at a few of them and they seem to be what I'm looking for.
How do you feel that these brands stack up quality wise in the RV maker hierarchy. I know, that's a really loaded question. Just looking for opinions.
As for the FW, my truck is my work truck and is equipped with tool boxes and ladder racks making a FW out of the question.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design Imagine 3000QB?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you are in VA. You already have a dually so why not go to a 5er? We looked at the one in the link below but bought elsewhere.
The metal bunks on the back wall are shown in the stored position so the bed slide can come in.

4 bunk triple slide Jayco 5er
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Our Heritage Glen 29bh has 4 bunks and the space under the lower bunks is outside storage. The amount of storage was the selling point to us. We did not want to keep any outdoor stuff inside the camper.

It is an ultra lite and delicate. Our kids are 19 and 17 now, and we just made it clear that furniture either in the house or camper was not to be jumped or climbed on. Jumping and climbing is an outside activity.

LOL, glad you finally told your 17 and 19 year old to stop jumping and climbing on the furniture! :S
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our Heritage Glen 29bh has 4 bunks and the space under the lower bunks is outside storage. The amount of storage was the selling point to us. We did not want to keep any outdoor stuff inside the camper.

It is an ultra lite and delicate. Our kids are 19 and 17 now, and we just made it clear that furniture either in the house or camper was not to be jumped or climbed on. Jumping and climbing is an outside activity.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like mine, to a T. Except I think you might have a tough time finding and ORV trailer on the east coast, especially this floor plan. They only made it a few years, because the quad slides disrupted the assembly line at the slide install station.

Anyways, it's a Creekside 31KQBS. 38' overall, bunkroom with opposing slides in the back, and still has a full outside kitchen up front with a 3-way rv fridge. 100 gallons fresh water, 40+20 grey, 40 black.

I use mine at least 180 nights and over 10,000 miles each year. Mine is a 2014. The prior year had a flat front camp, but mine is a full wraparound cap.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Check out the Keystone Outback 301BQ. I believe they stopped making that floorplan after 2015 or thereabouts, but it’s a nice floorplan as the master bedroom is in the rear with a separate entrance, with a small quad bunk room in front. We camped in one for several years with 5 kids and it was great.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7