cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Please - Airbags & Weight Distribution Hitches

DJMeeka
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new to me 2018 Cruiser RV Stryker ST2916 toy hauler with about 1300-1400 lbs of tongue weight (will change when loaded). I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro w/1500 lb bars. I am towing it with a 2014 F250 CC 6.7 4wd with a 4" lift. When I picked it up, I only had a weight dist. hitch. It towed ok but I noticed the rear sagging a little more than I like and it had a jarred ride over bumps. So I installed a set of Airlift 5000 airbags.

My question is, what is the correct sequence to connect the trailer with both the weight distribution hitch and airbags? I've read that you should air up the bags a little (15-35 psi but depends on tongue weight and weight in the truck bed) then connect the trailer and weight distribution hitch. Goal is to have a smoother leveled ride when towing.

Hoping to hear from someone that has a similar combination.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, ferndalefllyer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a set of Air Lift 5000# airbags on my 24'Class C to help with the tongue weight of my single axel cargo trailer. Your goal should be for the rig to sit dead level when fully loaded. You should always keep some pressure, 10 - 15# in your bags as they are not happy completely deflated and it will shorten their working life.

I air mine up to 50# and then drop the trailer onto the rear of the coach. When fully loaded with my Rzr inside along with a lot of extra gear the trailer weighs 2,600# and the tongue is exactly 16" off the ground and dead level. I was pleasantly surprised to find my unloaded {no trailer} ride and handling improved noticeably with just 15#.

The OP should err on the side of more not less tongue weight as sway can quickly become an issue especially with a toy hauler with significant weight that far back.

Works for me.

:C

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
i put 25 psi in my air bags and wound up tongue lite. i then dropped to 10 psi and set my anderson wdh/anti sway hitch 1 turn lighter then there specs. right on the money now.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
No matter how you do it the end result should be the truck and the trailer sitting level which also requires adjusting the hitch hight.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
When you hooked up the WDH was the truck level or sagging? Sounds like it was sagging in the rear. If that's the case your WDH wasn't set up properly. It should have been transferring more weight to the front axle keeping the truck more level. At least that would be my opinion on a stock truck.
Does your lift kit involve new rear springs? If so they may not be as stout as the factory springs. Lift kits are often aimed at axle articulation rather than load carrying ability and therefore have a softer spring rate. If that's the case the air bags may be necessary to restore the original weight carrying ability of the rear suspension.