cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stereo replacement

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a decent replacement wall mount radio/stereo ?
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
19 REPLIES 19

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced an old Concertone a few years ago with a Jensen. There was a big wiring change with the switch out. I made a diagram of the old wiring and labeled them. The replacement had the A, B and AB. I had to do some figuring, before I connected everything. Hint, the replacement CD doesn't always work on certain CD's.
Mark

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are not decent RV industry branded radios. The high end motorhomes have residential grade home theater systems and components that need AC power which is acceptable because they have generators while traveling and stay with full hookups. This is why people recommend car stereo systems if you want decent quality 12V DC powered AM/FM. Otherwise, pick your favorite Bluetooth speaker and keep it charged.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
The biggest problem for me is that I havenโ€™t found any car stereos that have an A, AB, and B speaker switch. I do use this feature. I know I could add the switch elsewhere and may go that route when I have to replace that High Quality Jensen in the camper.

Nothing is making me keep the Jensen, other than it still works.
I guess I should have used the Sarcasm font.
Better reading comprehension could have kept you from a long snarky post.

OOOOOOHHHHH, it was a "Joke"?, yeah, that was extremely funny (not!) and helpful (not) towards the OPs question..

OP may or may not have the same issue you have with 3 sets of speakers, not all RVs contain that configuration making your joke pretty, well, lame.

I also would not be proud of Jenson, that name is slapped on pretty much any cheaply made electronics and the OP was looking for ideas to get way from said junk.

My point to YOUR joke was serious, the three speaker configuration IS easy to get around but a lot of folks let themselves be totally defeated by this quandary and ultimately waste $300 for another of the same RV replacement stereos..

Same goes for supposed multichannel RV stereo "theater" setups with subwoofers but I will not bother wasting any more electrons posting to you on how to figure that out since you already have the snarky sarcasm corner job position filled..

The โ€œjokeโ€ was the bit about the High Quality Jensen.
I was serious about the A, AB, and B settings for the inside and outside speakers (2 sets, not 3). I use this feature a lot and would prefer it to be built in.
I did say that I would consider a speaker selection switch if it came to that.
I will now return to my corner.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pioneer.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GrandpaKip wrote:
The biggest problem for me is that I havenโ€™t found any car stereos that have an A, AB, and B speaker switch. I do use this feature. I know I could add the switch elsewhere and may go that route when I have to replace that High Quality Jensen in the camper.

OOOOOOHHHHH, it was a "Joke"?, yeah, that was extremely funny (not!) and helpful (not) towards the OPs question..

OP may or may not have the same issue you have with 3 sets of speakers, not all RVs contain that configuration making your joke pretty, well, lame.

I also would not be proud of Jenson, that name is slapped on pretty much any cheaply made electronics and the OP was looking for ideas to get way from said junk.

My point to YOUR joke was serious, the three speaker configuration IS easy to get around but a lot of folks let themselves be totally defeated by this quandary and ultimately waste $300 for another of the same RV replacement stereos..

Same goes for supposed multichannel RV stereo "theater" setups with subwoofers but I will not bother wasting any more electrons posting to you on how to figure that out since you already have the snarky sarcasm corner job position filled..

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:

Good grief!!!

You let a small detail of a dirt simple external speaker switch totally defeat you into keeping those lousy "RV" stereos.

A $15 switch for heavens sake..

Looks like this..

Which IF you bought a good quality car stereo will have plenty of room leftover to mount the stereo AND the switch.

You can even buy more advanced speaker switches which add in more speaker connections, volume controls for each speaker giving you much more control than your hopeless "RV" stereo could give.

Your giving up a lot by locking yourself into RV trash stereos..

Advanced features like Streaming services like Pandora, BT streaming from your phone, tablet, PC, Sat radio, MP3/WMA through USB flash drives..

But, go ahead and stay with your 1980s RV "quality" stereo..

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:

Good grief!!!

You let a small detail of a dirt simple external speaker switch totally defeat you into keeping those lousy "RV" stereos.

Looks like this..

Which IF you bought a good quality car stereo will have plenty of room leftover to mount the stereo AND the switch.

You can even buy more advanced speaker switches which add in more speaker connections, volume controls for each speaker giving you much more control than your hopeless "RV" stereo could give.

Advanced features like Streaming services like Pandora, BT streaming from your phone, tablet, PC, Sat radio, MP3/WMA through USB flash drives..

I was going to install something similar. But instead went with 4 push button switches that would do the same thing.

The cheaponly st car stereo is Bette than any RV stereo. I fact you could go so far as to install a double din touch screen and install a camera to monitor the outside if you wanted. Lots of options if you really put your mind to it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
According to their website, Crutchfield has 33 varieties of car stereos with DVD players in them. To get A/B speaker control, just wire the inside speakers as front and exterior speakers as rear and use the "FADER" control to go inside & outside speakers.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GrandpaKip wrote:

Good grief!!!

Looks like this..

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to stay with a RV stereo I would just get another of what you had. It will already be wired up so just plug and play.

There is no such thing as a quality 12 volt RV stereo. I've given several RV stereos away that I've taken out of new RV'S. Same with RV tv's not very good quality and overpriced.

I usually put in a home stereo/DVD unit such as Bose or Sony.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LJAZ wrote:
I ran into this problem a few years ago when mine died. I wanted all the features - the radio/CD/DVD player and the AB speaker selector - but couldn't get all of that in car stereo system and there just isn't a quality RV option made. I finally ended up replacing it with the same model as the original and figure I will do that again when this one fails. On the plus side the new one fit in the same size opening and connectors were the same so no rewiring required.

Must be more than a few years. You can get all that in a $200 "car stereo" with dozens to choose from.
Stereo we just put in our boy's car runs 4 amps, has 2 video inputs for cameras and one video out. No CD/DVD by choice in this one because that's old technology but plenty of them available like that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LITEPHIL wrote:
I have the cheesy cheap wall unit with a CD player. I really want to keep a wall unit. I see they have them but nothing I've ever herd of. Don't want a car stereo. Thanks!

What is a "cheesy cheap wall unit"? I've only seen car stereos in campers, but my experience is limited to only a couple dozen campers I've been in probably.
And why not a "car stereo". You need a 12V stereo and there are 1000s of car stereos to choose form and apparently 1 cheesy cheap wall unit to choose from.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into this problem a few years ago when mine died. I wanted all the features - the radio/CD/DVD player and the AB speaker selector - but couldn't get all of that in car stereo system and there just isn't a quality RV option made. I finally ended up replacing it with the same model as the original and figure I will do that again when this one fails. On the plus side the new one fit in the same size opening and connectors were the same so no rewiring required.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch