cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MH models with the fewest slides

humpndunk
Explorer
Explorer
20 years ago my wife and I were full-timers in our RV(s). We're in a house now, but itching to get back out touring. We have visited 48 of the 50 US states in our camper, we move a lot, and we dry-camp more than we stay in RV parks, so we're looking for a used class A with as few slides as possible. What models, 20 years old or less, should we be looking for? 36 to 40' max, and no tag axle.
15 REPLIES 15

Treefrog
Explorer
Explorer
we love our country coach 36 foot intrigue with just a driver side slide. everything in the coach is accessible with slide in and the living area is much nicer with slide open. we replaced the short couch with an easy chair for me. :B
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 36' 350 Cummins ISC
2015 Lincoln MKX
FMCA 351235
Look for us at Civil War Reenactments and the SCA.

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 Newmar 4095 with two slides. It works great for us. Both slides are on drivers side. No tag so get more basement storage. We spend about four months during the summer in it, plus some short trips during the rest of the year. Having a washer and dryer is a big plus for the wife.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
What does drycamping have to do with not wanting slides? My '04 30' Itasca has 2, one for the kitchen/dinette, and one for the rear bedroom, both on the driver's side. They take less than 10 seconds each to extend/retract, and are used whether we are in a full hookup campground or boondocking (about 50/50).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full-timing in a 37ft. 1999 National Tradewinds with one slide (couch and dinette). We've owned it since 2003 and have traveled to all 48 lower states, Canada and Alaska and have never thought the coach was not adequate for our needs. Wishing you success in your search. Happy travels. Arrnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 National Tradewinds is 37-0 with one slide. Slide includes dinette and main cabin couch.
www.threedogsandus.com

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
humpndunk wrote:
20 years ago my wife and I were full-timers in our RV(s). We're in a house now, but itching to get back out touring. We have visited 48 of the 50 US states in our camper, we move a lot, and we dry-camp more than we stay in RV parks, so we're looking for a used class A with as few slides as possible. What models, 20 years old or less, should we be looking for? 36 to 40' max, and no tag axle.

Looks like your advice is all over the place so far and because you haven't revealed your budget for this purchase.
Also for whether you want a puller or a pusher and gas or diesel.
Keep in mind a non slide coach, is worth about half of it's total value and the single most valuable option out there.
Just saying, so that you won't be paying much of anything for a non slide perhaps and for then being lucky to ever sell it.
One slide units were very prevalent in the late 90's and early 2000's and there must be some nice ones, that are still around.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
2001 Fleetwood Flair
32 feet with no slides.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a really nice 98 Winnebago Luxor with no slides and also a 36ft Monaco with only one.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
If you can add a tag axle and go up to 41' here is a Newell with 2 slides. The guy who is selling it has replaced and updated many things to make it ready to travel. I know the seller and have seen this coach and it is a great buy at this price. Lots of new stuff.
https://www.arizonaluxurycoach.com/shop/details/1999-Newell-Mid-Entry-2-Slide

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a non slide ended up with a single.
Country Coach 36’
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Curious about your adversion to slides.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
My 07 Itasca Meridian is 36+/- with 2 slides only, both on drivers side.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used Prevosts. Tons of non-slide units out there but hard to find a 40' coach. They are also all tag axle unless you go really way back to the 35 footers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
For dry campers and boondockers slides are a way to buy a smaller RV that can go more places but once parked has more room. To each his/her own.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad