cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need new tires

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Dry rot has forced us to accept the need for new tires. Class A, 32' 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. Current have R245/70R19.5 (H) on it. Lasted only less than 6 years with less than 20,000 miles on them. They sat too long in the sun, for sure.
Suggestions on which tires to buy w/o breaking the bank. Looking at some brands in the $180-225 per tire range Several J, 18 ply, most, like what we have now, H with 16 Ply.
Costs quotes is just per tire, not mounted, aligned, etc.
Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
13 REPLIES 13

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used Hankook, Toyo and Sumitoma tires in the past 20 years and have been happy with each. I do not care for Goodyear because, in my opinion, they ride too harshly and Michelin because they are too expensive for me.. Look for any of these brands at the best price mounted, balanced and out the door. Best of luck in your selection. Happy travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

TomandCandy
Explorer
Explorer
You might be in for a shock when you buy tires as I was when replaced 6 tires 225-19.5 with out digging the papers out it was around 2500.00 or more so good luck these are Toyos

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
Same size: Hankook Alls have held up well for 5 years and 30k miles on rear

Just replaced Bridgestone R250F on front that died prematurely due to internal issue.

Replaced with 2 Firestone ST230 for $670 out the door at McGee. Good so far.

Previously had many many many balance problems with Goodyear G670 RVs but that was 12 years ago, and they all failed prematurely (3 years old, less than 25k miles)with extreme rivering

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
Dry rot has forced us to accept the need for new tires. Class A, 32' 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. Current have R245/70R19.5 (H) on it. Lasted only less than 6 years with less than 20,000 miles on them. They sat too long in the sun, for sure.
Suggestions on which tires to buy w/o breaking the bank. Looking at some brands in the $180-225 per tire range Several J, 18 ply, most, like what we have now, H with 16 Ply.
Costs quotes is just per tire, not mounted, aligned, etc.
Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

I've found over the years, that Hercules has been the best bang for the buck.
Having said that, just how many ways are there to make a DOT tire? And still waiting for the chemical and mechanical engineers for making this kind of data available.
Nope, not a Michelin disciple, as you might have guessed, as there isn't a thing holy about their tires.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
I found the best deal at our local truck tire shop.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I got a deal at Southern Tire Mart.

This is their link, it will say they are closed....but not all of them are:

https://www.stmtires.com/
2014 American Eagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest you buy R245/70R19.5 (H) at the best price you can find. These days there is very little noticeable difference between the high cost and the low cost tire.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have TOYOs installed on the rears of our Class A, and are happy with them (so far).
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Class A
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE is correct. Very seldom do you see Class A tires with 60,000 miles

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am happy with my Toyo tires.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You'd probably get more relevant answers posting in the class A forum.

Six years for tires is not exactly out of line; most manufacturers advise a thorough inspection yearly after approximately seven years from date of manufacture (which means demounting the tires to inspect the insides as well as the outsides), and replacement in any case after maybe ten years. The exact times probably vary a bit.

For my motorhome, I generally shop mostly based on tire price. Any DOT approved tire should be safe to drive on (for its rated load), and it's unlikely that I'd ever wear out the tread on a motorhome tire except possibly as the result of suspension or alignment issues, so paying extra for superior tread life seems like a waste.