cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andersen hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
On another thread, it was posted that the Andersen hitch is not a weight distribution hitch and should not be used on a vehicle that requires one.
When hooked up without it, my truck drops 2” in the rear and raises about 1” in front.
When hooked up with it, the front is within 1/4” of unloaded and the rear is down 1”. This basically levels out the truck, which sits tail high when unhitched.
I’m pretty sure that weight was put back on the front axle, removed from the rear axle and some was given to the trailer axles.
I’m also pretty sure that is what a Weight Distribution Hitch does.
I’m just posting this for the possibility that others contemplating getting an Andersen might be mislead by someone who more than likely has never used one.
My camper is 5000# loaded with a 600# tongue weight. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it seems like that’s a pretty good average.
If we ever go to a heavier rig, I’d probably change the WDH. We’re very happy with our present setup, so I really don’t see that happening.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch
40 REPLIES 40

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced a bar type WD hitch with the Andersen, our 1/2 ton with the 25RKS definitely gave us an uncomfortable jiggle factor on rough roads with the bar type. We switched to the Andersen and two things occurred, comfort and relaxation/concern about the vehicle in the rear view mirror. This is not to mention the ease of hitching and unhitching.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
And I can see how it may help on a lite trailer. Anderson claims its for up to 16,000 lbs GTWR • 1,600 lbs tongue weight. I don't see that and for $600 bucks,well,I guess I've said enough.

No, it doesn’t “help”, it actually works and does what it is designed to do.
Proponents of this system have repeatedly stated that the max tongue weight for it is around 800 pounds or so.
Actually, though, I could see it working on a 1600 pound tongue weight if the TV is a 3500 series. Anyhow, I’m glad they rate it that high. Since my tongue weight is only 600 pounds, it should last forever.
I’ve had mine for several years now, the money really doesn’t matter at this point.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

ifd22
Explorer
Explorer
I used one for years, and it worked exactly as advertised. It brought the front of my tow vehicle back to the unloaded height, and it prevented sway. Not sure what else there is to say about it.
There will always be those who stubbornly resist or argue against something new. I used a Equilizer brand hitch for 8 years, and the Andersen worked and behaved just like the Equilizer minus the weight, noise and grease.
I towed a 34’ 7500 TT with a Tundra and a 2500 Ram Diesel.
2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
So far, we have had actual users report a good or better experience with the Andersen hitch, and one who has never used one, warn us how "hokie" they are. I suppose I could call a Reese "hokie" even if had no facts or engineering to back up my opinion. Now the attack has switched to the maximum rating, which is as bogus as most advertising claims. That's why we ask actual users about products.

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
And I can see how it may help on a lite trailer. Anderson claims its for up to 16,000 lbs GTWR • 1,600 lbs tongue weight. I don't see that and for $600 bucks,well,I guess I've said enough.

They do a good job on sway and are light weight, easy to use/store and no disconnect required for backing (vs. some traditional sway bars) so that's the main benefits.

I agree, that would be a no-go for a 1,600 lb tongue weight....

I think their niche is small trailers and for people who actually care about payload and are counting every lb. due to the tow vehicle limitations. The Andersen worked great when we had a Jayco Hummingbird with a 480 lb TW and pulling with an FJ Cruiser that had a 1,100 lb payload. Now that we're pulling with a 2500HD and have a TW of 720 lbs it's not as important to us.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
I've said that it may put a slight amount of weight on the front wheels but why buy a set up like that when you can get a Reese strait line or a 4way for around the same price? My argument wasn't just to argue.I would rather steer someone in the right direction and if you all want to blast me for that,then fine. Happy camping and be safe.

Remember that these are for trailer with under 1k tongue weight, I would argue closer to 800 lb max. Having said that, 500 lbs of return weight isn't required for this application. I know the Andersen can return 300 lbs per past CAT scale readings, and that's all I needed at the time since our TW was around 500 lbs at the time.

Andersen isn't a one size fits all, but for lighter trailers they do the job.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I've said that it may put a slight amount of weight on the front wheels but why buy a set up like that when you can get a Reese strait line or a 4way for around the same price? My argument wasn't just to argue.I would rather steer someone in the right direction and if you all want to blast me for that,then fine. Happy camping and be safe.
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
The tongue and truck are raised to attach the chains. When lowered, the chains become as tight as a bar, not allowing the tongue and the truck to go down as far as they were before attaching the chains, just like any other WDH.
The Andersen lowered the front of my truck about an inch. I’m guessing here, but I weigh 165# and I hardly move the front of the truck down standing on the bumper, so I’d say the Andersen restored around 300#,
By CAT scales, it definitely put weight back on the front axle and removed weight from the rear axle of my previous truck and helped level it out. Way more than 2 pounds.

But that can't be because LITEPHIL said it's not so in his opinion.....

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
The tongue and truck are raised to attach the chains. When lowered, the chains become as tight as a bar, not allowing the tongue and the truck to go down as far as they were before attaching the chains, just like any other WDH.
The Andersen lowered the front of my truck about an inch. I’m guessing here, but I weigh 165# and I hardly move the front of the truck down standing on the bumper, so I’d say the Andersen restored around 300#,
By CAT scales, it definitely put weight back on the front axle and removed weight from the rear axle of my previous truck and helped level it out. Way more than 2 pounds.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Careful @LITEPHIL - someone might try to prove to you the earth isn’t flat either.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
I guess people can get a bit harsh when they can not explain how a simple hitch set up works or doesn't work. This is not complex and I figured it would not be explained because it can not. I think there are people that are just trying to justify the money spent on an ineffective hitch when for the same money could have gotten some that would actually work. There is not enough leverage here to make it work effectively. Maybe they'll let you return it for something that can actually transfer weight like a proven Reese or 4 way system.

Saying the same thing over and over does not make it true and people can buy whatever they want. You obviously have two favorites. Good for you. Some people don't like change and improvement. Stick with 1950's technology but why knock others that don't mind trying something a little different that works great for many people?

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I guess people can get a bit harsh when they can not explain how a simple hitch set up works or doesn't work. This is not complex and I figured it would not be explained because it can not. I think there are people that are just trying to justify the money spent on an ineffective hitch when for the same money could have gotten some that would actually work. There is not enough leverage here to make it work effectively. Maybe they'll let you return it for something that can actually transfer weight like a proven Reese or 4 way system.
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
I am very familiar with the operation of the hitch. I guess if it transfers even a 2lbs onto the front axle it can call its self a WD hitch.
Please explain how the weight,I mean real weight like 500 lbs is transferred onto the front of the vehicle.I researched this hitch along with others before I bought most most recent. Again. please tell me how the weight is transferred with no leverage.

Kinda hard to relay the laws of physics on a forum, but as simply as I can put it - the “pull” force with the chains and bushings creates a “push” force at the front of the tow vehicle and the trailer. The hitch is the fulcrum - hinge point. A force on one side (the bottom of the hitch) creates an equal and opposite force above the hitch. That’s the leverage that you say you are familiar with, but apparently don’t understand.

If my words don’t prove it well, then have it proved to you at the scales.