cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tapping the top of awning to project it from the sun

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can anyone recommend a way to protect the top of the awning? I was thinking about taping Gorilla Waterproof Patch on top of the awning layer. is this a good idea? here is the product on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-4612502-Waterproof-Patch-Black/dp/B07HSKRYQW/ref=sr_1_46?crid=37K0GWH...
15 REPLIES 15

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
My trailer has been parked under the brutal sun of the desert for 7 years. Shortly after I got it, I got some 6โ€ wide Eternabond and put a layer on top of the awnings when rolled up. Itโ€™s flexible so it rolls up without a problem and is still flawless after 7 years. No worries about having to install and remove temporary covers.

Amazing! I use EB tape on the roof for flat seams; love the stuff. Your use on the awning is an interesting application (I think you are a trailblazer where EB is concerned.) SOoooo .... it works when parked for 7 years; have you had it out on the road at highway speeds much? Wondering about headwinds or maybe worse, blustery side winds if I were to apply it to the awning (and the slide out cover) on my rig.

On second thought, I remember lots of BIG TIME spring winds (like 80 MPH) when I lived in the Mohave desert (most deserts are like that I believe) ..... so maybe "no sweat"?

I guess I would plan on a "dust/dirt" line at the sticky edge of the EB tape, but I could live with that.

Thanks for your post. Velly intellesting reading, for sure.

Be safe ...................
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know someone that tried flex tape and it didn't hold up to UV, short term fix was ok. The Eternabond tape being rv specific is a much better more durable choice.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone looked into that FlexTape product advertised on TV? They claim it performs miracles. I wonder if it is as good as some of the other ideas shared.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
The Gorilla tape appears to be the answer. Wish it came in white or silver.
I used the white Gorilla tape on mine. It worked well until I got into Wyoming and a cross wind ripped right through it and I lost the awning.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
joshuajim wrote:
My trailer has been parked under the brutal sun of the desert for 7 years. Shortly after I got it, I got some 6โ€ wide Eternabond and put a layer on top of the awnings when rolled up. Itโ€™s flexible so it rolls up without a problem and is still flawless after 7 years. No worries about having to install and remove temporary covers.

Had a small tear on the edge about 2" from the main box...lapped a piece of eternabond over it to stop it tearing more until we could replace the awning material. We sold it after about 5yr never having gotten around to replacing it. Just saw the old rig (we sold it 3yr ago)...it's still there and no sign of failure.

I would look at the eternabond as a good option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Some use vinyl rain gutter, cut to length, slots in end caps.
-- Chris Bryant

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what I used to use when in storage, but since building my 20 X 40 Rv storge shed, i no longer do.
https://www.dyersonline.com/awning-pro-tech-awning-protection-system.html
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, taping.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
RVing since 1995.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Cody, My RV is parked full time under a shed and that might make a difference.
The zip tape sticks to the awning fabric. Also I used it on top and bottom of fabric. I had only a small area at the top of the awning to cover so used short pieces to do the job.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Gorilla tape comes in white, I've bought it at Menards and it sticks well to the outside of the awning. Looks like it's available here

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Glue-Tape-White-10yd/166045092?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101007480&adid=22222222228000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-834279575686:pla-51320962143&wl5=9021498&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=140256681&wl11=online&wl12=166045092&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWAxdv8LmWMicR0jFepUCd7YlTUFcYsxRDWAni1a8wHWSehMBY-XauKhoChq4QAvD_BwE
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The Gorilla tape appears to be the answer. Wish it came in white or silver.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camreal, thanks. I saw Zip system on Amazon. It says "Withstands up to 180 days of direct UV exposure" . I suggest it won't last for more than 1 year. Are you using it to project the awning (when parked) or does it stick to your awning fabric? thanks

Camreal wrote:
I used ZIP system tape over 5 yrs ago and it still working great. Its a black rubber tape that once it is on it wont come off and is water proof. Contractors use it for sealing windows. I used it to repair the awning edges at the top. Sun had cracked the material. I use it on both sides of the material . Can be had from
Amazon for less that $30 for 20 ft roll 3 3/4 in wide.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
I used ZIP system tape over 5 yrs ago and it still working great. Its a black rubber tape that once it is on it wont come off and is water proof. Contractors use it for sealing windows. I used it to repair the awning edges at the top. Sun had cracked the material. I use it on both sides of the material . Can be had from
Amazon for less that $30 for 20 ft roll 3 3/4 in wide.