cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Axle Fluid Change Differential Cover with drain plug.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the scoop, our 2003 Winnebago 29B is built on a 2003 Ford E-450 chassis. I am doing my annual maintaince, and decided this year is the year to fix my rear end seepage from between the diff cover and the diff. Chassis has 44,000 miles on it, so not a ton. Fluid is pretty stinky and black in there as well. So owners manual says 80W90 oil for the axle. I have a case of 80W90 synthetic on the way. Also have a case of 75W140 Motorcraft on the way as that is what goes in the diff on the towed car (2003 Explorer). So question what fluid is everyone running in there. Owners manual says 80W90, best I can find is 50k mile change interval, so I am almost at that. All this said being a 4.56 I bet this axle runs hot, so was looking to swap covers out for one with a drain plug. Has anyone done this? Which cover are you using? Also what oil is everyone using in there? Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
^^ No, I used a spicer gasket.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Did you happen to try a lubelocker gasket?

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
^^ No drain plug, I gave up on that. All the ones that had drain plugs where those squared off ones, and after watching some of the Banks videos on diff covers squared off ones seems like a bad idea. Plus there may have been a clearance issue with the heat shield on the front of the gas tank. The nodular iron seems like a bad idea for heat dissipation. This is a Dana Spicer part fit on perfect, I used a gasket too instead of the RTV. The link is above in a post from where I purchased from.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
That’s the Spicer D80 cover? Does it have a drain plug too?

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Project done. 8 oz of Motorcraft friction modifier in there and 80W90 synthetic like manual called for. Old fluid wasn't as bad after I opened the cover up. New cover installed so should run cooler.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd put the 140wt in the moho and the lightweight stuff in the Exploder.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Make sure it's the right cover. The '03 E-450 has a D70-HD diff and I think the cover is different than a D70 cover.

I have done lots of homework on this. A Dana 70-HD is the same axle housing and tubes as a Dana 80. The difference is the size of the Ring gear. The Ring gear is slightly smaller on the 70-HD.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it's the right cover. The '03 E-450 has a D70-HD diff and I think the cover is different than a D70 cover.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Case of oil is 12 quarts. So a bit over kill, but the Exploder seems to burn it easily so I will keep it on the shelf. The Motorhome the oil is roasted no doubt about it. I am going to put the cover that the F-350 had on it, to help get some heat out. I ordered this one up.

Diff Cover

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Ford specifies the Motorcraft 75W-140 for the '03 E-450 for hot and hilly trailer towing. Hauling a house seems pretty close to trailer towing.

Yep! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Ford specifies the Motorcraft 75W-140 for the '03 E-450 for hot and hilly trailer towing. Hauling a house seems pretty close to trailer towing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And if you’re wanting more severe duty oil, bump to 75-110 or 75-140.
Oh and all gear lube stinks. If it’s been burned or heated excessively. You’ll know it. The level of stink goes up immensely!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buying a new diff cover is a waste of $imo.
How many more times do you plan on changing the oil? It’s good to take the cover off anyways.
By cases of oil , you’re ordering 24qts of oil to do 2 vehicles that take a total of 7-8 qts?
Plan on stocking up for the next 3 oil changes?
Seriously, remove cover, dump fluid. Replace fluid with whatever you bought at Autozone earlier in the day and move on. Not a project worth overthinking.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a Mag-Hytec on our Ram 3500. An aluminum cover with additional fluid capacity, having raised ribs on he case outside for greater surface area for additional cooling. It has a magnetic drain plug, a sight glass for easy level observation, and is drilled/tapped for a temperature probe (should you desire one)! They’ve been around many years! I’m not sure what fluids Ford used in ‘03, but with my Ram, I went to a higher weight rating ( I tow quite heavy loads) full synthetic oil...... Mobile 1 differential lube! Any good differential oil should be fine......nothing wrong with using the oil that Ford spec’d the vehicle with! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl