cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaking hot water tank

car54Don
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Itasca Sunrise 35A. Hooked to house water today with pressure valve. water leaking from behind panel. Not leaking from pressure valve or front drain.
removed side access panel, there is water in 'closet' that water heater sits in.
thoughts ??
Any info on re & re would be appreciated.
cheers
can't add pic
May 10 update - removed tank. huge split on backside. no idea. looking for replacement $$$ yikes.
6 REPLIES 6

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had a plastic fitting crack. Fortunately it was discovered before any floor was damaged. It did take 3 trips to HD to get parts to repair.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Better ask what make of water heater, Atwood or Suburban?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with a loose or cracked fitting on the back of the heater (inside of the cupboard). Take some tissue or toilet paper and squeeze it t around each fitting until you find the damp or leaking one. I found that the toilet paper, just a couple of squares will show the moisture much quicker than a visual or finger check.
If all these areas are dry and the water is coming from the insulation around the tank, you may have a much bigger problem.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Loose connection or cracked fitting.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bypass the water heater and disable it.. Had that very problem and did not fix it fast enough now I got more secondary damage (Took me too long to figure it out) New tank on my Atwood was less than 300 dollars and quite a bit of labor (Did it myself) it is fairly easy to replace the entire unit. tank is a lot more work. .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I guess I would start by drying up the water all ready there. Then hook your hose back up turn the water on look and see were the water is coming from. It sounds like a pipe or connection is either broken or loose, but really until you know where the water is coming from its hard to really help.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly