cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow or drive the dinghy to the mountains?

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am going to take my annual trip to the midwest and on the way stop at my property in the AZ mountains which is at about 7000 feet elevation. I am traveling from Phoenix which is at about 900 feet. My question is is it better to have my copilot drive the toad up the hills or drag it up there with the RV? I figure gas is cheaper towing it, but the strain on the engine/tranny etc and the slow down on the grades may make it better to just take the two separately over the first leg here.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N
12 REPLIES 12

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We unhook and drive separate for the steepest passes. We don't need to, but we do. A typical trip for us is about 5k miles. We drive 100 miles of it not towing. No big deal and makes us feel better.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
People make fun of driving through Iowa but it is deceiving. I once rode my bicycle on the Coors Classic bike trip from Golden Colorado,up to Estes Park, rode through Rocky Mountain NP to Granby and back to Golden. We crossed the Rockies twice. Another year I rode from the western edge of Iowa to the eastern edge. The Iowa trip climbed twice as many vertical feet as the Colorado trip. It just did it 200 feet at a time. Hill after hill after hill after rolling hill.
The difference with driving a rig across Iowa nothing has time to get hot on the short climbs. When riding bike, 200 feet will definitely heat you up.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have climbed twice up to 11,158 ft on I-70 west of Denver to go thru the Eisenhower Tunnel with my Born Free pulling a 3,200 lb toad. The highest elevation in Iowa is about 1550 ft. I really donโ€™t think those steep overpasses in Iowa will tax your Class-C.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
whemme wrote:
I happen to be a website administrator for our Born Free RV Club and I live in Iowa. Years ago I had a member who lived in Florida contact me that he was planning on driving his Born Free up to Winnipeg, Canada via passing thru western Iowa on I-29. He wanted to know if I thought his Born Free could handle the mountains in western Iowa. True story if you can believe it!

If itโ€™s anything like NW IL with its huge 200ft rolling hills then I can believe it.

BTW, those IA overpasses can really be a strain on the OD when you hit them!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
I happen to be a website administrator for our Born Free RV Club and I live in Iowa. Years ago I had a member who lived in Florida contact me that he was planning on driving his Born Free up to Winnipeg, Canada via passing thru western Iowa on I-29. He wanted to know if I thought his Born Free could handle the mountains in western Iowa. True story if you can believe it!
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I ended up going with the consensus and towing it. It all went fine.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This kana question you can answer yourself. It's only a couple/3 hours to most places in the mountains. You don't have to decide now. Why not tow it and if you don't like how the rv is performing, atop and unhook the toad.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree - tow the toad. If itโ€™s an F53 make good use of tow haul and get some ear plugs.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
On the beautiful California Central Coast, Two Hands, who couldnโ€™t get along with their spouse? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Even though we have been married for over 53 years we still enjoy each otherโ€™s company.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would tow the toad.
Just remember that your combination will last longer if you don't try to climb hills and race down the road trying to keep up with others.
I am guessing that your MH has a V-10, but your toad is an unknown.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Provided your toad is within the towing limits of your MH, there is no โ€œstrain.โ€ Stay in the right lane so people can pass and enjoy the trip.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad