cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new style toyhauler, not for everyone

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
so i had been searching new toyhauler models for some time. i was looking at very specific options on the fifthwheel toyhaulers. 1st and foremost was ccc!! 2nd was uvw weight, 3rd overall height and 4th was axle upgrade options. now most and i mean most manufacturers do not offer axle upgrades. i believe this is because they used a lesser quality frame and they are maxing it out with advertised gvwr. this explains why the triple 7k lb axle 40' fivers i looked at had gvwr's of 19k to 20k rather than 21k.

i began looking at west coast built units as that is where the majority are built for offroaders by offroaders. eclipse offers some very nice units under 3 diff names. genesis supreme as well as pacific coach works. sand storm by forest river has a west coast facility and they actually make a stronger unit in that plant than it's counter part in indiana. makes sense as they are competing with the other 3.

i did not check pacific coachworks but eclipse and genesis offer axle upgrades to add ccc.

so for the here and now i decided to go a different route with a new design and new model. not sure how but i bought a 2021 model 3 months ago. i have been modifying it to better suite our needs and am about half way there lol. so it is a major step down from the 34' wolf pack 295 we had.

i went with the genesis supreme overnighter fk model. https://www.genesissupremerv.com/med...3e1ff4ce91.pdf

they offer a 6k lb axle upgrade. of course i went with that and they come stock with F range tires with a L speed rating.

so mine actually weighs 5200 lbs with a 12k gvwr. my sand rail and gear add 3k lbs easy. once i add the tool box's for outside storage and the awning with the xtend add a room https://youtu.be/IvjIpxh5hDo

prob be pushing 3500 lbs of cargo but well below the ccc.

all the new fifthwheels i looked at have gone 13'5" to 13'6" in oal height. our 2011 295 wolf pack was only 12'2" oal height and still had 6'2" head room in the bedroom. not sure why all the new models had to go a foot taller unless it was easier to manufacture.

so the new overnighter is a hard tent on a flat bed. so far i like it for short 3 day runs to the sand dunes in oklahoma. wind doesn't grab it like the fiver. the biggest decision to go to this unit was the fact that my wife doesn't always go on the dunes trips. she does the majority of they times but not always. while we/i are there, we are rarely in the camper as we meet up with a group of offroaders when we go.

we do enjoy the back deck very much. i ordered a custom sized awning from carefree of colorado, fiesta model, to mount over the rear door. i have not gotten it installed as i just got it last week and temps are still dropping to 35* at night. i ordered new happijac bed rails so the bed comes all the way down now. i deleted one couch and installed a tv cabinet with matching counter top. will add under chassis mount tool box's as soon as i hear back as to what sizes they will make for me.

22 REPLIES 22

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
you are correct ..... stw does not provide enough info and i stated that when i called him. i agree that tank heaters are a joke. they are only for if it might dip down to 30* for a few hrs overnight. i cannot see why they couldn't drop a pvc tube down to the batts for solar install......that denial says a lot about that manufacturer to myself!!

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
dsrace wrote:

atc makes some very strong units. they are high priced for sure and look a bit sterile inside , imo. have you looked at the sundowner, lakota or merhow toyhauler models? what about this one? https://www.shadowtrailerworld.com/store/p3578/2019_STW_Enclosed_Toy_Hauler_With_14%E2%80%99_Luxury_LQ_85300-90-GN-TOY-LQ_SKU_LQ73910.html

Thanks for those suggestions. That STW certainly looks more homey than the ATC. I wish they provided more details on that page. No GVWR, tank size, generator, etc. I do a lot of 3+ season camping, so an artic/4 season/whatever package is what I'm looking for. That's something that ATC is missing. I've insulated a fresh water tank before and I'm willing to pay the factory so I don't have to do it again.

The Lakota interior sure is nice, but way, way too long for where I camp.

Merhow has more info, but they don't seem to be oriented towards longer boondocking. Specifically, the 41 gallon fresh water tank is really small.

I've looked at Sundowner before. I don't like the closed off cargo area. But the interior is well done.

ATC has put together a very nice package with some very nice innovations. I really like the all-aluminum cabinets and the flexible arrangement of the furniture. I'm sick of the wood cabinets in my current toy hauler. The fake wood is starting to fall apart after 14 years. The lack of a full 4 season package and a heated/sealed underbelly and tanks is holding me back. Pad heaters on tanks that are exposed to the elements is a waste of time in my opinion. Their objection to customizations is also an issue. I asked for conduit from the roof to the battery compartment for runs of solar wire. I don't want to have to tear things up to route the wire.

The semi-local ATC dealer has a 40' toy hauler on the lot that is close to what I want, but they ordered it with a 5" lower deck. I would be scraping that all over the place. 36' is probably closer to an appropriate length for me.
2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB S4
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
HRTKD wrote:
I would really like to replace my bumper pull toy hauler with a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler from ATC. The all aluminum construction makes for a huge CCC. It also makes for a huge price tag that my wife already vetoed. ๐Ÿ˜ž

atc makes some very strong units. they are high priced for sure and look a bit sterile inside , imo. have you looked at the sundowner, lakota or merhow toyhauler models? what about this one? https://www.shadowtrailerworld.com/store/p3578/2019_STW_Enclosed_Toy_Hauler_With_14%E2%80%99_Luxury_LQ_85300-90-GN-TOY-LQ_SKU_LQ73910.html

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:
There's a new one by Momentum 29go

genesis supreme released the overnighter late 2018. so we know where momentum came up with the design lol

they did a nice job overall. so i looked up the specs..... only 11' of cargo floor! once again they really missed the mark. 11' doesn't work for sand rails, jeeps or 1000cc turbo sxs's! the overnighter has 14'6" of floor for cargo and lots of jeep guys have been buying them to haul the jeeps. so it's 34'11" long vs 31'6" overnighter. it's 12'4" tall vs 11' on the overnighter. it's 7900 lbs vs 5000 lbs and best of all it's $50k!!!!!! i paid $20k out the door and i thought that was a little over priced!

now if grand design would delete the happijac bed, swap the bunk beds out for a queen bed and delete the closet on the outside, move the bathroom to the nose, add 3' to the cargo floor and get competitive with there pricing ( say $30k to $40k with options) then they would really have something! $50k is outrageous lol lol it's only big enough to haul motor bikes or golf carts! what were they thinking!

https://youtu.be/iVa7VltgOSc

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
I would really like to replace my bumper pull toy hauler with a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler from ATC. The all aluminum construction makes for a huge CCC. It also makes for a huge price tag that my wife already vetoed. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB S4
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
There's a new one by Momentum 29go
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
I saw one of these at Cougar Buttes, had a big rock crawler on the back...wondered about tongue weight not being enough.

my 2k lb sand rail balanced it out nicely. i have not pulled across a scale yet to back that up with actual numbers but i could see a concern with a 4k lbs toy on the back. only upside to a krawler on the back would be the motor and trans would be in front of the axles vs mine behind them.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
here is one i did like as we don't need slide outs https://www.shadowtrailerworld.com/store/p3578/2019_STW_Enclosed_Toy_Hauler_With_14%E2%80%99_Luxury_LQ_85300-90-GN-TOY-LQ_SKU_LQ73910.html

just couldn't get a final price nailed down and too far away to go look at. based on the pics it looks like exactly what i wanted less the tiny little kitchen sink.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Sundowner Krawler

Sundowner, which is a popular and respected brand in the horse hauling business/rodeo circuit have this. I saw one at the last RV show I went to. It was built SOLID, with a price to match, but the living space was really nice and well constructed.

oh i looked at these units pretty hard. https://ocalatrailer.com/inventory/1037859/view/JA0532/Ocala-FL/2019-Sundowner-2486SKM i just couldn't get over the $70k price tage vs the $20k ( out the door) i paid for the overnighter model. is there $50k worth of better manufacturing?? i doubt it but always possible. for $40k i would've jumped on a sundowner model before an overnighter by genesis supreme! unfortunately there weren't any for sale at that price or close too. i was tired of calling those dealerships to hear " let me put something together and get back to you) then never heard back. i guess $40k is a waste of there time??

imo lakota or merhow make a better unit vs sundowner. yes lakota and merhow entered the toyhauler buisness but do not yet offer a krawler series. there prices are very competitive to sundowners. i do like the contsruction on the millineum trailer line he just hasn't got his interiors in order or his online quote system. the owner def knows his trailers for sure! i personally spoke with lakota as well as merhow reps. they will make changes to an extent but do not make 8'6" wide models.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I saw one of these at Cougar Buttes, had a big rock crawler on the back...wondered about tongue weight not being enough.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Sundowner Krawler

Sundowner, which is a popular and respected brand in the horse hauling business/rodeo circuit have this. I saw one at the last RV show I went to. It was built SOLID, with a price to match, but the living space was really nice and well constructed.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Y-Guy
Congrats! Thanks for walking through your decision and needs/wants. Your title, "new style toyhauler, not for everyone" is spot on, sounds like this one fits your needs perfect. Good point about the west coast built toy haulers too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Looks like a decent choice if outside space is more important than living space. Not my choice, but it certainly would work.

My thoughts as well. Nice to have options to the typical behemoth toy hauler. In addition to living space, having your toys exposed to the elements is a major consideration.

Most of the smaller Toyhaulers leave their toys outside anyways while their camping.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see that the RV industry has something for everybody.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE