cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reroofing - do you tape the edges?

seihugh
Explorer
Explorer
The sides are aluminum and the roof is plywood. There is a 1 to 2 inch gap between them. I think i should cover the gap with something , like duct tape or butyle tape or something. I will be covering the roof with EPDM 60 mil.
Any suggestions would be great
7 REPLIES 7

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Just park under a tent.

seihugh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone
Ok no duct tape , and ur right , that gap is too big to just leave space .
I will cut some strips of that pink panther insulation and give it a curve,and place it between roof and side.
I was thinking of eternabond but itโ€™s expensive and it will be covered by the epdm
Do you think this can work :
Titeseal self adhesive waterproof flashing with a foil backing?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a new roof on my TT. They make a special tape I purchased from my local RV dealer that was extra thick with a cloth top. I ran out of cloth tape towards the end and used extra wide gorilla tape for a small portion. I also put the cloth tape on the seems of the plywood decking. I only had about a quarter inch gap between the roof decking and siding. Something doesn't sound right if you have a 1 to 2 inch gap. Do you happen to have a picture?

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
2" gap? That's not good. Something is missing. There needs to be a solid surface to adhere the EPDM to.

Something has to be missing. There should be no gap. You want a solid firm roof corner where the roofing material meets the side wall.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2" gap? That's not good. Something is missing. There needs to be a solid surface to adhere the EPDM to.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's a large gap. I'm wondering if it could be filled with canned spray foam (Great Stuff), let it cure and trim off the excess?
Or just cut some wood to fit in the gap?

I would not just tape it, that would leave a weak spot on the roof.
Definitely don't use duct tape.

After you fill the gap and replace the roof, use Eternabond to tape the roof edges and any seams on the roof.

Maybe someone will have a better idea.
Let us know what you do to correct the gsp.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not duck tape! EternaBond tape is the hands down best IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad