cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing HP Metal Vavle Stems

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
l'll be getting new tires soon. The originals were installed when the RV was new late 2013 so I suspect the hp metal valve stems should be replaced, too. I run 17.5 tires that have a max of 125psi and I know its important to have the proper stems.
Discount Tire is mentioned here often so I wanted to ask those of you with experience with Discount if they will have these high pressure bolt-in stems? Also, mine came with longer ones and I'd like to get some that are shorter. Thanks
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL
23 REPLIES 23

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found the short metal valve stems at NAPA, I bet other auto parts stores also have them.

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
15 & 16 inch they can handle on car & light truck tire machine. 17.5 are basically a small transport tire and rim. The screw in valves are the same as a transport . I found the shorter stems at a steam show in Portland Indiana. It is a bit hard to find just the seals as they prefer to sell new stem with the new seal on it. The long five inch ones are quite easy to come by but the short ones not as popular. I'm thinking the ones that came on my DRV were 2 inch and the ones I picked up in Portland were 1 1/2 which I prefer to add tire pressure monitoring sensors The seals don't need changing until they leak and if they start it will be a very slow leak.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I found a locally owned heavy truck and equipment shop to install my new 17.5 tires who also had a selection of metal, screw-in valve stems.
Anyone in St. Augustine, FL, who needs heavy-duty tire service including class-a, I'd highly recommend Rays Commercial Tire Center.
Its a shame that the Discount Tire Store didn't know to recommend this place. Instead they referred me to a place an hour away in Jacksonville, FL. I guess that is who they farm-out their installations for heavy-duty including the GY G114.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
LS isn't what it used to be.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Complete insult to Discount Tire to even mention them in the same sentence as LS.

Visit a couple of them here ,then decide if its an insult , or maybe go to some that have mentioned on this thread. I would be so bold as to say Les Schwab could handle 17.5 :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Complete insult to Discount Tire to even mention them in the same sentence as LS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
As far as Discount Tire, they will not touch a 17.5 rim at my local store and the rep said they won't in my area....period. I questioned the fact they sell GY114 tires and he said, "yep, but don't install them". He said they will not install any tire that takes more than 90 psi....period. Very nice about it but very definitive.

Lots of reputable tire dealers out there. I deal with one here, 110 psi is no problem , G or H rated tires are not an issue. Discount tires are just like Les Schhwab, got the good ones ,and the bad ones, and it sure does not matter who walks thru the door .

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, ran into the same problem, typical Tire Stores won't mount or dismount the 17.5" H tires, had to go to a Commercial Tire Dealer that handled Heavy Duty Truck tires.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
As far as Discount Tire, they will not touch a 17.5 rim at my local store and the rep said they won't in my area....period. I questioned the fact they sell GY114 tires and he said, "yep, but don't install them". He said they will not install any tire that takes more than 90 psi....period. Very nice about it but very definitive.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bucky, that is one of the things I always liked about Discount Tires, no suspension work. Sell tires and wheels only. Let other outfits take care of the suspension work, then Discount doesn't get involved in the peeing contest of what is needed or not needed. Big O has a history of giving folks a laundry list of all the stuff they want to throw at the vehicle, especially since they are on a commission deal. Who was the original starter of Discount Tire headquartered based in Phoenix, AZ.?
And what I have found with Discount Tire is I'll go online and get an "out the door price". Price is good for 30 days. Wait about 25-28 days later and make the same request and the tires drop in price.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must have something to do with who walks in the door, I paid $1,278 at Discount in Burlington, WA including .086% tx for a set of 6 MS2 Michelins on my DRW RAM in 2015.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mind pre-purchasing my own stems to make sure I get good quality, however, I don't know about the fitment for the Hi-Spec aluminum wheels on my rig. Nothing on the Hi-Spec web site either.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree on the no discount tire. Since the founder passed away it's a whole different ballgame when you go in.
The prices are higher and the availability in stock has gone way down.
They still have bright clean facilities and well trained staff so I tend to use them anyway. I would like to see them offer alignments.
Puma 30RKSS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
I don't want to jinx myself by saying this but I have never had a tire failure in my 15 years of towables. First fiver (4 years) had BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires.
The Cameo (18months) had G614 tires.
The Lifestyle has from the factory (was 6 years in Feb 2020) G114 tires.
So I sure don't want to have new tires installed and then have a stem failure due to rubber age, etc., or take a chance on the wrong ones being installed.

Were you ever able to get the tires you wanted ?? As far as steel valve stems, anyone I have dealt with has had them . Never been a fan of Discount tires, the problem there with them I have never seen the discount part :B

Big O used to be pretty decent, but just depends on the store. I am sure discount is the same way, find a good one, and then hope the management doesn't change.