cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

our current FINANCIAL situation

trx680
Explorer
Explorer
So I read the post here where it's claimed that RV sales are up.
I heard that Class B van types campers are up slightly and everything else is down.
My thinking is... I'm not going in debt right now until things calm down and get more back to normal. And I have been out of work for 7 weeks.
Unemployment is through the roof right now. I really don't see how RV sales could be up since this crisis. Unless theres something I'm missing.
When you are out of work or on a reduced schedule why go into debt for something like an RV. Even if you are still working isnt it in the back of your mind "what does the future hold"??

I would expect to see alot of RVs, boats, motorcycles, etc up FOR SALE and an increase of repossessions.

Me personally, well, I was at the RV show earlier this year...just looking. Glad I didnt buy anything.
32 REPLIES 32

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
TechWriter wrote:
ajriding wrote:

Unemployment numbers are claimed anywhere between 14 and 24%. That is not really so bad considering the situation.
Remember many of these "unemployed" are really just on a leave while the businesses are shut down (hopefully they all start back up one day, but some will not).

Not likely. According to Forbes, 42% of recent layoffs will be permanent, the coronavirus recession will last far longer, and unemployment is closer to 25%. Fasten your seatbelts.

People are going to start falling behind on their mortgages and (I believe) it will cascade into bigger economic shocks down the road. This misadventure of shutting down the economy could take 5 or 10 years to fully recover. We went from the greatest bull market ever to this for no good reason.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

Unemployment numbers are claimed anywhere between 14 and 24%. That is not really so bad considering the situation.
Remember many of these "unemployed" are really just on a leave while the businesses are shut down (hopefully they all start back up one day, but some will not).

Not likely. According to Forbes, 42% of recent layoffs will be permanent, the coronavirus recession will last far longer, and unemployment is closer to 25%. Fasten your seatbelts.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired. Nothing has changed. Pensions are the same, SS is the same. Same lifestyle. Like a lot of retirees, if we decide we want something, if we can afford it, we buy it. I think that's where a lot of RV sales are going.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Yup, it's all relative to where you live.
So true. Here on Nantucket $160,000 annual income for a 4 person household is the upper limit for low-income housing.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, it's all relative to where you live. $150k a year in the Denver Metro is decent, but not great, especially if you have kids. We have friends with 3 little ones paying close to $5,000 a month in childcare. They both make enough to not make it worth one of them quitting to stay home with the kids, plus doing that can often hinder your career in the long run. Shoot even a babysitter so you can go on a date night every now and then around here is $20/hour.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife used to commute to Wall St. Parking at the train station was $250/month, train ticket was $450/month and subway to get down town from Grand Central was $110/month, plus car and gas to get to the train station.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:

What .... "A family of 4 that makes less than $150k a year (which is still a decent income in many parts of the country ....)"

That's a decent income all righty ... in spades. How many, and in what places in this country, are families of 4 (the parents of which are working for THE MAN) bringing in that kind of yearly income??? :h

Yeah any where w/in 100 miles of I95 from Virginia north to Boston and lots of other places too. $150,000 doesn't go that far when you consider mortgage, cars, fed and SALT, saving for retirement/college taking care of elderly parents, and childcare, you have your work cut out for you. All that and you really haven't had any fun yet like sports, music and dance lessons, vacations, etc etc.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super Dave wrote:
I guess I was secretly hoping that all the folks that were temporarily out of work burned all their vacation time to get a paycheck and the campgrounds would be empty this summer.

X2;)
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
I mean here in Denver Metro, probably many assuming both parents work in white collar jobs or the expert trades. My point is, a lot of families who didn't even really NEED the stimulus money got it. Even those who make over 150k but under 190k still got something. It amounts to "free" money to those who aren't even struggling right now. So they can put it towards a "fun" purchase, like an RV of some kind.
Yes got a stimulus check but DW is still fighting for unemployment going on six weeks now. SNAFU

The employed don't need stimulus and too many unemployed are still struggling or going under soon.

Now if I could just close the new financing I started early February...

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Another thing to consider is the stimulus checks people received. A family of 4 that makes less than $150k a year (which is still a decent income in many parts of the country) would have received $3400. Now, it's not a bad idea to put that into savings. But many people don't do that, so they could combine that with maybe a vacation fund they had to take the kids somewhere for Spring Break or Summer Vacation, and that's a nice down payment on a travel trailer. Even if they are still both working they would still receive that money.

What .... "A family of 4 that makes less than $150k a year (which is still a decent income in many parts of the country ....)"

That's a decent income all righty ... in spades. How many, and in what places in this country, are families of 4 (the parents of which are working for THE MAN) bringing in that kind of yearly income??? :h

I mean here in Denver Metro, probably many assuming both parents work in white collar jobs or the expert trades. My point is, a lot of families who didn't even really NEED the stimulus money got it. Even those who make over 150k but under 190k still got something. It amounts to "free" money to those who aren't even struggling right now. So they can put it towards a "fun" purchase, like an RV of some kind.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Another thing to consider is the stimulus checks people received. A family of 4 that makes less than $150k a year (which is still a decent income in many parts of the country) would have received $3400. Now, it's not a bad idea to put that into savings. But many people don't do that, so they could combine that with maybe a vacation fund they had to take the kids somewhere for Spring Break or Summer Vacation, and that's a nice down payment on a travel trailer. Even if they are still both working they would still receive that money.

Almost ANY place where the parents are professionals.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dedmiston
valhalla360 wrote:
1) No one is checking where you are and you can generally camp within 3hr of your home anyway.

These are unusual times, but typically the EDD office mails letters and schedules interviews to discuss, qualify, and approve new claims. Sometimes they schedule mid-claim interviews too. If you aren't home to get the letters or don't have someone dealing with your mail, you'll miss your office interview and/or phone call. If you're a no-show, they pull the plug on your claim.

So you're right, nobody is actually monitoring your location, but once you finally respond to their correspondence, they're going to want to know what's up. And when you tell them you aren't available to come down to their office for your interview, they'll suspend your claim until you get home.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer