cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Admin/Mods: You missed a golden opportunity!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
....when you closed the thread regarding the RV (Motor Home) explosion in Calgary - resulting in one fatality.

As you read this - think of the "newbies" on the forum - folks who are new to RVing.

As you may recall (still on here, but closed) the thread was started by "BobsYourUncle" on 4-24-20.

Besides the event - it "dissolved" into a discussion of the explosive limits (etc.) of Propane - which was "suspected" to be the source of the explosion.

A Moderator closed the thread, apparently when no consideration was given to the deceased.

Opportunity missed: None of the posters (or the Moderator) took advantage of commenting on the "property" of propane (as opposed to Natural gas) - that being it's heavier than air, will "flow" (like water) and "pool" in any low places. Also, inside a tightly closed RV (Calgary in winter?), it will pool unless -and until- it finds an "exit" - OR a source of ignition.

Back to the "newbie". How about the "believers" who accepted the erroneous info that "internal cleansing" injection or ingestion would block the coronavirus - AND called 911 or 311 numbers to see if it were true!!..:R

So - here is a "newbie" related Propane event. On one of my duty shifts as a F/F, we received a call for a strong odor of "gas" in a home. The city was served by Natural Gas - so we surmised it was either a Natural Gas -or- a gasoline odor.

Upon arrival at a nice home in an upscale tract - there was a commercial moving van out front, and we were immediately met by a young assistant to the guy in charge. He excitedly related that he had "closed the slider to the back yard to prevent the fumes from entering the house" (which turned out to be a *VERY* good move!).

Background.
The homeowner had a nice portable BBQ which was to go along with his furniture, etc. The movers informed him they would be happy to take the BBQ - but not the propane tank (which was full).

They then instructed him to take the tank out to the center of his backyard, open the valve (old style then), and invert the tank.

His yard was slightly lower than the neighboring yards, and had a low retainer around the perimeter - about two bricks high.

He was wearing shorts and sneakers (no socks), and did as instructed.
The propane "flowed" in the yard and around to the side yard about 50' away - which had a natural gas fired in-ground spa. Then it flashed!

He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his feet and lower legs (and I would guess some future "legal issues" to be resolved with the moving company.)

OK - one in a million, right? - NOT !!...
About a year later I received a call at home from the wife of a good friend who resided in the same city. He was an Army Major, being posted from So.CA to the Pentagon.

The movers were at their home......and they informed her "as above"!!
Being a perceptive lady, she suspected the "empty the tank" method was not a good one, and wanted my opinion!

Directed her to take the tank to a nearby Propane Bulk plant to be emptied - or leave it behind.

Bottom line - the Calgary explosion story (including an RIP) could have provided a "vehicle" to re-enforce the hazards of heavier than air propane (and gasoline fumes) to folks who "don't know" - for whatever reason.

End of soapbox.

~
4 REPLIES 4

dedmiston
Bombero - Thanks for the feedback and the info about LP.

I closed that thread because people were fighting like pinheads. Sometimes it's hard to see why a thread was closed when so many of the posts have also been deleted. Regardless, I closed it after it got out of hand.

Thanks for your service from the son of a deceased Bombero.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
.....OK - one in a million, right? - NOT !!...
About a year later I received a call at home from the wife of a good friend who resided in the same city. He was an Army Major, being posted from So.CA to the Pentagon.

The movers were at their home......and they informed her "as above"!!
Being a perceptive lady, she suspected the "empty the tank" method was not a good one, and wanted my opinion!....
~
Was it, by chance, the same moving company? :E
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The US Air Force experimented with a propane fueled bomb during Nam, the CBU-55.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOW.. I remember a story from Detroit Fire (I was not a member but worked with them in another capacity) Basement fire in house. Well they responded found a tennis shoe in the back yard on fire and extinguished it. Smell of gasoline and evidence of a flash fire in the basement. set of car keys and empty gas can.

Short time passed and EMS got a burn call

Arson also responded (with the gathered stuff from the house) and ask the young man NOT burned if he knew what happened.. "My brother said my car blew up on him" These your keys? Yes.. Your gas can? yes, what's left of your shoe? Yes (Note the unburned brother was not even suspected) Are you sure that's what Happened.

Well why not ask the kid across the street he's burned even worse than little brother.. So they went across the street called EMS back and both burn victims shared an exam room.

Seems they had been hired to torch the house for insurance and after dousing the basement with gasoline one of 'em says to the other "I gotta have a smoke do you think it will hurt anything if I light up".. "no, should be ok" WHOMP and ..

And one of 'em was over 18 (The other was not) so.. Well.. GUILTY said the judge.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times