cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can anybody tell me....

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
In laymen terms please what these readings on my solar controller mean?? I don't know if these reading are good, bad, or ugly!

Thank you!!

https://gopro.com/v/LvaJ09R76Lgno

https://gopro.com/v/zPvBdNXP7mr38
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
30 REPLIES 30

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
campermama wrote:
It wasn't all of you, just some of you and the remarks. If my question wasn't clear then someone could have said that.

Anyway this is what I learned (and was looking for).....
The 2A reading is what was "being sent" to the batteries, even though it is sunny that is all the batteries needed at the time. When I turned on some lights and that number changed to 3.4A that is what was "being sent" to the batteries to compensate for the power being used.
Don't know if I explained it right but I understand now.
This puts you in the "GOOD" area of the original question.

Here is some basics to read on batteries, solar etc:
The 12 Volt Side of Life

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, mama, itโ€™s so difficult to answer your questions if you wonโ€™t gain a basic understanding of RVs and solar. Itโ€™s not that difficult but requires reading...and rereading.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
campermama wrote:
It wasn't all of you, just some of you and the remarks. If my question wasn't clear then someone could have said that.

The 2A reading is what was "being sent" to the batteries, even though it is sunny that is all the batteries needed at the time. When I turned on some lights and that number changed to 3.4A that is what was "being sent" to the batteries to compensate for the power being used.

No. The amps for the lights go to them and not to the batteries as compensation. Any amps left over go to the batteries if they want any.

The amps to the lights might go via the battery posts as wiring connections, but do not go down into/through the batteries like "amps to the battery" do.

You can have the batteries wanting 5 amps and solar putting out(EDIT--scrub that!--make that "able to put out") 8 amps and turn 10 amps worth of lights on. The lights get their 10 amps, the battery not only does not get its 5 amps but has to supply 2 amps to the lights.

The controller will show 8 amps output, and the battery monitor will show minus 2 amps.

If you want the batteries to get anything you have to reduce the load (lights etc) to under 8 amps. At 3 amps for lights, now the batteries get 5 amps, which is all they will accept anyway. So you have 3 "free" amps to do something with.

Thanks for posting that. I was a little gun shy to point out where the Amps actually go. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did campermama ever report where she installed the inverter, near the battery or near the television?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
campermama wrote:

No. The amps for the lights go to them and not to the batteries as compensation. Any amps left over go to the batteries if they want any.

The amps to the lights might go via the battery posts as wiring connections, but do not go down into/through the batteries like "amps to the battery" do.

You can have the batteries wanting 5 amps and solar putting out(EDIT--scrub that!--make that "able to put out") 8 amps and turn 10 amps worth of lights on. The lights get their 10 amps, the battery not only does not get its 5 amps but has to supply 2 amps to the lights.

The controller will show 8 amps output, and the battery monitor will show minus 2 amps.

If you want the batteries to get anything you have to reduce the load (lights etc) to under 8 amps. At 3 amps for lights, now the batteries get 5 amps, which is all they will accept anyway. So you have 3 "free" amps to do something with.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy you figured that out.

HTH;
John

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Adventure Blog:

red31
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
if you have 200W of solar panels, 2A is ugly.

with a full battery/poor sun ... ? I believe that is false. If there is no load (including the battery) the controller limits energy production, what is not needed is not produced. 2A alone is neither good bad or ugly.

Same with 19ah, may be impressive for one day or not. full batteries don't need much energy to stay full.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
OP, please answer your question now that you know more so we can learn how to answer your question. I want to know where folks went so WRONG

In laymen terms please what these readings on my solar controller mean?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I read through your last few posts and don't see anybody making you feel like an idiot. From my perspective, I didn't really know what 'good bad or ugly' meant. It's a cutesy question.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
You're asking if the numbers are good, bad or ugly. And the answer is.... it depends. ๐Ÿ™‚ For example, if you have a roughly 40W panel, 2A output in full sun is good; but if you have 200W of solar panels, 2A is ugly.

Thank you, thank you!! You are the only one who basically answered my question!! I do have 200W, that 2A was not direct sun. But now I understand what that number is telling me.
I have been a part of this forum many years (as you can see on the side) and it used to be a great place to come for help. After my last few posts I am very disappointed. It feels like people just want to criticize and make you feel like an idiot for asking for a little help instead of actually ANSWERING the question or helping.

Thank you again for answering my question!!

My Adventure Blog:

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
in laymen terms which of the icons or #s don't you get, the sun, the battery full icon, the usb icon, the numbers, the word flooded?

I have no idea what I am looking at! The icon you call battery full, I took to be a solar panel.

The Sun does not 'connect' to a battery! A controller connects to a battery.

HTH;
John

red31
Explorer
Explorer
in laymen terms which of the icons or #s don't you get, the sun, the battery full icon, the usb icon, the numbers, the word flooded?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Voltage will be a better indicator on your battery condition. (press the B button)

If you see voltage above 14.2 some time during the day you are in good shape.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You're asking if the numbers are good, bad or ugly. And the answer is.... it depends. ๐Ÿ™‚ For example, if you have a roughly 40W panel, 2A output in full sun is good; but if you have 200W of solar panels, 2A is ugly.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point