cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan state parks extend closures

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
They extended state park camping closures until at least June 21 Sorry folks I know some of you will disagree and say that this good to shut everything down but this is getting ridicules. Might as well close them forever as something else might come along. You can easily social distance and not come in contact with anybody or park staff. Just dont get it. Close the restrooms and nature centers if you must but camping too? I feel 100 times more in danger at a Walmart than at a campground. I honestly don't get the logic they have for what can be open and what cannot around here.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
31 REPLIES 31

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
This will actually be a favor to the residents (except those that count on out of state tourism for income),

There's a good percentage of norther Lower Peninsula that depends on tourist dollars, and I'd bet most of Upper Peninsula.

That's my home town, our big industry is (was) tourism. Second is retirement community.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
This will actually be a favor to the residents (except those that count on out of state tourism for income),

There's a good percentage of norther Lower Peninsula that depends on tourist dollars, and I'd bet most of Upper Peninsula.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following this closely because of my position in some RV groups.

I am now of the belief that Michigan cannot be ready before the end of August. By then, everybody's vacation time will also be shot. So, the state operations might just as kiss-off the 2020 season altogether and save the expense. This will actually be a favor to the residents (except those that count on out of state tourism for income), because many will forget about Michigan for next season too. That way, the crowded parks and campgrounds will be more available for us.
Self-serving bastard isn't he??
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I realize it's tough to separate politics from this topic, but let's please at least try not to be partisan.

I want to keep this topic open, but I'll close it if it gets too political.
So let's ignore the elephant in the room. Sadly, it's all about partisan politics if one looks at which states allow camping and which ones don't. I won't say any more.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Some of the top lawyers in the state have pointed to the flaw in her logic, and as a constitutional issue, her authority expired on 4/30. Legislature is preparing lawsuits to bring her in check.

WRT to the virus, according to the official state records, ALL OTHER FORMS OF DEATH have substantially decreased. Even the official state records, as ridiculous as those are, don't even come close to matching the published CV death rates.

There is no way that cancer, heart disease, strokes, etc, which are steady year in and year out have dropped up to 50% of prior levels this year. I don't buy the data as presented.

I agree. It has been reported on the news of people dying from it as well as my brother in law knows of someone who has passed and did not have COVID. They are reporting some deaths as COVID deaths even when they haven't had it or verified it. Attorneys are involved from what I hear of the person my BIL knows i'm told.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the top lawyers in the state have pointed to the flaw in her logic, and as a constitutional issue, her authority expired on 4/30. Legislature is preparing lawsuits to bring her in check.

WRT to the virus, according to the official state records, ALL OTHER FORMS OF DEATH have substantially decreased. Even the official state records, as ridiculous as those are, don't even come close to matching the published CV death rates.

There is no way that cancer, heart disease, strokes, etc, which are steady year in and year out have dropped up to 50% of prior levels this year. I don't buy the data as presented.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm out camping this weekend, in Michigan, on public land. Bite me Ron and Gretchen.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The longer states can stay closed due to the over hyped Covid outbreak, the more money they can try and get from the federal government. So it’s in their best interest to keep things closed so they can get there bloated spending and underfunded budgets taken care of by the government. If it was so bad then why didn’t we (here in IL anyway) require masks back in the beginning of March? We didn’t. But to make it look good we now require then a month later?!!
There is an agenda and it’s mostly about $$$$
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
Ron Olson, chief of the DNR Parks and Recreation Division, said he and his staff are eager to welcome back campers and visitors, but proper safety precautions and maintenance work must happen first.
“We know millions of residents are eager to return to state parks and recreation areas, and we will be here to serve them and make their visits as enjoyable as possible, but we have to open the right way and be certain that facilities and sites are clean, safe and ready to accommodate everyone,” Olson said.
Prep time needed to get facilities ready
To prepare state-managed parks, trails and boating facilities, many important tasks must be completed once nonessential work is permitted. The department anticipates staff can start work May 15 once the stay-at-home order is lifted; prep work is expected to take roughly five weeks. Duties include:
• Acquiring drinking water permits from county health departments.
• Opening bathrooms.
• Hiring and training seasonal staff.
• Ensuring sanitation systems are running efficiently.
• Making progress on infrastructure needs.
• Other operational duties

Looks to me like it's the DNR that's the issue here, not the Governor. They're the ones saying it's going to take them 5 weeks.

That's a fact. Certain people have decided to make this political, and ignore the fact that the governor is basing ALL her decisions on medical advice from non partisan experts. Look at the protests and you see lots of political signs, but no expert medical opinions calling for the state to reopen.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
Ron Olson, chief of the DNR Parks and Recreation Division, said he and his staff are eager to welcome back campers and visitors, but proper safety precautions and maintenance work must happen first.
“We know millions of residents are eager to return to state parks and recreation areas, and we will be here to serve them and make their visits as enjoyable as possible, but we have to open the right way and be certain that facilities and sites are clean, safe and ready to accommodate everyone,” Olson said.
To prepare state-managed parks, trails and boating facilities, many important tasks must be completed once nonessential work is permitted. The department anticipates staff can start work May 15 once the stay-at-home order is lifted; prep work is expected to take roughly five weeks. Duties include:
• Opening bathrooms.

Looks to me like it's the DNR that's the issue here, not the Governor. They're the ones saying it's going to take them 5 weeks.

Ron Olson can't squeeze blood from a turnip. Budgets won't allow but for only so many folks to work on the projects. However, the timeline could have started weeks ago to have things prepped had it been allowed. This is the same governor that pulled the "Pure Michigan" funding.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
• Opening bathrooms.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
In my home town businesses are already reopening despite what Grinchen thinks she can mandate. The Sheriff already indicated on TV that he doesn't intend to enforce her mandates. Hopefully the rest of the state that is tired of being under house arrest will call her bluff too.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, its a big blanket rule covering All campgrounds, those in charge see campgrounds as kids,kids and more people using the playground equipment,benches etc without social distancing or handwashing in between. For a good many of us on the forums it is only 2 people using there self-contained RV and own lawnchairs. From what I read in our area, most of the new Covid-19 cases are spread by community transmission.
Why they can't start getting campgrounds ready now?? Easy to get employees to social distance, hand wash/sanitize, wear masks if necessary, then be ready for business when health authorities give the OK.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When my brother from the Lansing area called last week, I told him, "Heil Whitmer!" 😉 That got a good belly laugh (even though he leans left).

Many a year DW and I have come back "home" to MI around June 5-10. It still feels that way (home) to us even though we moved almost 30 years ago. But I think we're skipping the annual visit this summer altogether. And we can't be the only ones.

To tell the truth, I think this scare will make folks somewhat gunshy for at least a couple years. If so, tourism volume will be depressed for quite some time... not just this summer.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point