cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yes!! I found a way to RV during this awful Covid isolation!

CoachPotato
Explorer
Explorer
Yes... as a matter of fact, I am very afraid of this coronavirus! At 76 years and lots of heart history, I cannot get exposed to this dreaded plague. But I was going stir-crazy at home.

Then it dawned on me... I am at home, and alone, aboard the coach! The one thing we absolutely do have to do, regardless, is eat. As I've done for three years, I pick up our groceries via Walmart's grocery pickup program without having to go into the store. I could easily order groceries at a Walmart far from home - and use the coach!

So, I ordered two weeks of groceries at the Marysville, CA Walmart, about 100 miles north of my home near Stockton, CA. And with my twin sis and hubby living only 25 miles north of that store, I'd spend the night there aboard the coach as we always do when we visit them. I'd make the grocery trip a two day trip aboard the coach!

Four weeks ago I did just that, and greatly enjoyed myself although my dear Wifey chose not to join me. She doesn't need an RV adventure nearly as often as I do, so she stays home when I make these grocery runs, as she often does on my long, multi-week adventures, too. Choice is a good thing in a marriage!

I made the same trip again two weeks ago (except to the Yuba City Walmart as it's a bit more on my route. Yuba City and Marysville are twin cities separated only by the Feather River.) That second trip, I also picked up my sister's grocery order. She's disabled with Parkinson's Disease, and her hubby cares for her full time. During my visit the first time, I asked if they'd like to order online, too, and I'd pick up their order at the same time - and they loved the idea! So that second trip, two weeks ago, I did just that - and they were delighted!

I'm heading out for the third RV grocery run tomorrow! I'll get to spend another night aboard the coach, deliver my sis and hubby's grocery order, and arrive home the next day with two weeks worth of groceries for Wifey and me. We're lovin' it!

And a bonus... somehow, a station in their town of Gridley, CA sold Diesel 2 for just $2.20 two weeks ago. At that price I filled up although I had room for only 33 gallons in my 90 gallon tank. This week they're selling the stuff for just $2.06 - and I'll stuff on all I can again! I cannot understand how they can sell so cheaply when 25 miles away it sells for $2.90 to $3.70. In my town, the best price is $3.10!

As usual, those trips are recorded on my personal website. If you're easily entertained, you might find them a bit interesting. Nearly every RV trip we've ever taken is recorded there, and that includes 46 states over about 15 years Here's a link to my first post about this C-virus, about a month ago. At the bottom of that page, in very small type, is a link to the prior and next trip, if you're so inclined.
23 REPLIES 23

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
We did something similar last week here in Kalifornistan. There is a restaurant that we really like, a Teppan grille style where the chef cooks your meal on a flattop in front of you; steak, chicken, shrimp, fried rice, etc - dinner and a show so to speak. Of course, they are no longer allowing dine-in, but do have take-out. The problem is that they are about 30 miles away from our home, so the food is no longer hot when we get it home.

So last weekend, DW & I, along with our 3 adult kids and their spouses and my grandson, piled into the MH and drove down to the restaurant, phoning in the order on the way down. When we arrived, we parked in the parking lot, got our food, and ate in the RV in the parking lot! Great food (fresh & hot), great company, great ambiance :).

Yeah, I know, we were "technically" violating Kalifornistan's current rules since our kids don't live with us, but hey...what can I say...I'm just a rebel, and the powers that be will NOT prevent me from getting together with my kids and grandson!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

sh4717
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out this week for a 5 day trip to AZ. I figured if Iโ€™m staying home bored out of my mind, Iโ€™d rather be in my camper bored out of my mind! Lol
Scott
2019 Northwood Nash 24M
2018 Ram Ecodiesel

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would you mind going by Wake Forest NC to pick up my order?
Thanks, great idea.
Puma 30RKSS

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Unfortunately Walmart could not handle the demand and has cancelled curbside pickup in my area. Only 1 store out of 3 had it to begin with.
Wow - they better get it together. I just read Walmart is going to start ramping up express home deliveries.

CoachPotato wrote:
Hello again, RVers -

Thanks for all the kind words and comments. It's good to see a lot of others taking trips, too. Getting a few miles aboard our RVs to scratch that travel itch really feels good, eh?! ...snip...
OP - I'm so glad nobody got snarky. I read your happy and excited post and I thought - Oh, no... They are going to cream this guy for something or other.
So - great going - you thought outside the box on how to use and enjoy your RV!
Wonder if we could make a 350 mile trip to deliver groceries to my MIL... :@

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

CoachPotato
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again, RVers -

Thanks for all the kind words and comments. It's good to see a lot of others taking trips, too. Getting a few miles aboard our RVs to scratch that travel itch really feels good, eh?!

I just got home this afternoon from the grocery run. I dumped the coach, tended the bug collection on the front cap, and put her away 'til - probably - the next grocery run in two weeks. All went well, and I sure moved a lot of groceries!

And...! The gas station that I mentioned was now selling Diesel 2 for $2.00 was down to $1.96 this morning when I filled up. I had room for only 30 gallons, but at least I got that much. I don't know how or why they sell so cheap when the average Diesel 2 price in Kalifornistan is presently $3.26 according to AAA. But I won't question it, I'll just pump it when I can!

Thanks again for the kind comments.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
CoachPotato wrote:
Four weeks ago I did just that, and greatly enjoyed myself although my dear Wifey chose not to join me. She doesn't need an RV adventure nearly as often as I do, so she stays home when I make these grocery runs, as she often does on my long, multi-week adventures, too. Choice is a good thing in a marriage!
Careful if DW posts this adventure on FB you will soon be starting a second career.

Wonderful to read your story on staying active and helping others as much as yourself.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately Walmart could not handle the demand and has cancelled curbside pickup in my area. Only 1 store out of 3 had it to begin with.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
We have had ours out. Checked the house batteries, tire pressure, etc. Went for two hour ride up into the mountains. Exercised the generator and a/c. Filled the gas tank. Gave it a quick wash and wax when we got home. Then back to storage, until next time. It was fun to just get it out and go for a ride.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat maybe you should have read the OPโ€™s post. He stayed home because he is high risk, no mention of government oppression. :R

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Duane
Explorer
Explorer
I took my motorhome out yesterday for a 30 mile test drive after installing a new tow bar and brake box for my truck... Something about driving around in an RV to get the endorphins flowing. My take it out again to today just to make sure things are still working as they should...!!
Duane & Claudine Miller
Raleigh, NC

2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need any special reason to go outside or drive from home. The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantee our rights and freedoms to go where we please when we please. No governor has the legal right to keep us at home. Governors don't make laws. Oh sure, I understand if we were at war or there was a major disaster, flooding, fires, or the like but this is a virus that over 98% of the people recover from. This virus doesn't fit into a natural disaster in my book. But many governors are treating it like it is.

Why is it we can move freely in Arizona but Californians need to make up an excuse? I'm currently camping in Williams AZ and have either been camping or just venturing out without harassment during this virus. I think when this virus issue is done and cooler heads prevail there will be some state governors in hot water for violating the Constitutional Rights of the people they serve. Remember, the government works for us, not the other way around as they would have you believe.

So go camping, go driving, venture out. If the cops want to give you a ticket for being away from home, fight it to the highest level you can. Don't let your government get away with it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I thought I was being daring, just taking the RV 60 miles up the road to get its annual inspection and free systems check at the dealer. Never even thought of using it for grocery runs. What a great idea.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
What a great idea!!! Have fun grocery-getting ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
My hats off to you! Smart thinking!