cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pa Open for Camping

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Pa private campgrounds are opening May 1st.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS
34 REPLIES 34

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
Went last weekend - so May 15-17. A Thousand Trails property in PA. In general it was handled very well in terms of distancing and people wearing masks. All facilities were closed so no problem with picking up COVID from a shared surface. The only staff interaction was getting my parking pass at check-in, which was handled at the entry shack and not in the office. Fishing was still 'open' on the creek frontage. I will say not everyone wore a mask all the time including me. We just weren't in close proximity to anyone else at any time. On paper you needed a mask if leaving your site. I'm much more concerned going for groceries than camping.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
No miracle required, just donโ€™t hug the guy in the next campsite...

Pennsylvania has a total estimated population of around 12,820,878.

To date, 42,050 people have been diagnosed with Covid-19. This says that .32% of the TOTAL population has been diagnosed with Covid-19, and/or have received treatment.

Of the people who have been diagnosed only 3.7% (1,597 deaths), died from it. The vast majority of these have been elderly, and had preexisting conditions. Not inferring that these deaths should be taken lightly. These are not huge numbers.

When compared to the total population, the number that have died represents a .012% of the population,

I think the numbers point out most residents and visitors to PA can go camping with a good sense that they will make it back home again NOT infected with Covid-19. Maybe a rash from poison ivey or some bug bites. So go camping and have fun.
This makes total sense for folks with completely self-contained RVs. We have been camping in our class B, so we use the dreaded restrooms. That's why we are hoping for a miracle. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Build a bathroom in a 8' cargo trailer and tow it behind the B ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
huskyfan68 wrote:
Probably a stupid question- but I am getting conflicting info. PA private campgrounds are open- does that include cabin rentals?

Totally depends on the campground and location. We have camped twice already and will be heading out again this weekend all to private campgrounds. 2 of the 3 we had state park reservations canceled so we scrambled to get private. Anyway, some of them say yes with a limit of 1 family unit per cabin and others are just saying no. Seems every website has a COVID19 document to read that gives their specific info, or you can call/email.

Definitely going to be an interesting weekend. State park canceled our reservations on Monday for this coming weekend leaving us little time to adjust. After looking online and calling no less than 20 campgrounds (all sold out) we finally found a site. Hopefully everyone will be respectful and keep distance. My biggest concern is the kids. Last week the park we were had full 5 v 5 basketball games going, large kid groups playing some sort of hiding game (manhunt??), etc.

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. My daughter rented a cabin 2 weeks ago.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a stupid question- but I am getting conflicting info. PA private campgrounds are open- does that include cabin rentals?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I trust everyone was wearing face mask during this conversation?
I'm not against relaxing the rules and opening things up for camping however I'm not naive enough to believe that opening things up does not come with the risk of additional spread.

We were outdoors and ten yards away from each other. No masks.

AS I said I'm OK with camping I think its great however it will come with additional risk.
Mosseater Wrote:
Can anybody explain how me camping 50 feet away from another family outdoors is anywhere near an considered risk?
My point was there will be interactions associated with the trip.
I'm not saying you did not practice social distancing however if there were no mask used there was a chance of droplets,aerosols and transmission.
One of the reasons mask are mandatory in retail places in MD is to eliminate droplets and aerosols.
I agree the risk was minimal, but it was certainly more than if camping were still shut down and you stayed home.
As much as I want to go camping and get things going. I do understand and accept that opening up society will increase the risk of spread. Nevertheless I accept those risk and plan to camp.
I do think we need to be mindful of all our interactions and understand the inherent risk of a simple conversation.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dedmiston
Lantley wrote:
I'm not against relaxing the rules and opening things up for camping however I'm not naive enough to believe that opening things up does not come with the risk of additional spread.

We were outdoors and ten yards away from each other. No masks.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
zb39 wrote:
In todays world it is easy to buy gas, food, and firewood without interaction with anyone. I can do it in my small town of 1200 people.

I bought firewood last week. I always go to the same place and I always help unload the wheelbarrows into my truck when the guy isn't there and his wife is working or when the guy is there and he's loading up the next wheelbarrow while I'm unloading one. Last week though, I wasn't paying attention and realized that the guy stood there talking with me while I unloaded all three loads myself. He totally suckered me. :B

So yeah, we were both wearing gloves and not standing near each other. Totally safe.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dedmiston
zb39 wrote:
In todays world it is easy to buy gas, food, and firewood without interaction with anyone. I can do it in my small town of 1200 people.

I bought firewood last week. I always go to the same place and I always help unload the wheelbarrows into my truck when the guy isn't there and his wife is working or when the guy is there and he's loading up the next wheelbarrow while I'm unloading one. Last week though, I wasn't paying attention and realized that the guy stood there talking with me while I unloaded all three loads myself. He totally suckered me. :B

So yeah, we were both wearing gloves and not standing near each other. Totally safe.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

I just saw today that although the Delaware State Parks will open for camping on Friday, May 15th.... IF you are traveling from out of state, YOU MUST SELF QUARANTINE for 14 days... that would take DE out of the mix for Memorial Day if true....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

264SRinPA
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
PA might sort of be open for camping unless you prefer State Parks.
Hot off the presses. The yellow area are 24 of the 67 counties in the Northwest and North central part of the state. For all others, looks like sometime in June.........maybe. Sure are using the word "Indefinitly" a lot.

"State park and forest facilities including offices, campgrounds, and the Nature Inn at Bald Eagle in the counties in the yellow phase will be open to the public on May 15.

Cabins in the yellow areas will not open until June 12, to allow returning staff the ability to thoroughly clean them and prepare them for use.

Campgrounds and cabins in all other state parks will remain closed.

With the exception of one restroom in each day use area and marina, all state park and forest facilities outside of the counties in the yellow phase will remain closed until changes are made consistent with Obergruppenfuhrer Wolfโ€™s guidelines for reopening.

The public can still access DCNR trails, lakes, rivers, streams, forests, roads, and parking areas statewide for recreation."

Playgrounds and Nature Play Areas

All playgrounds and nature play areas statewide will remain closed indefinitely.

Interpretive Centers and Ampitheaters

All interpretive centers and amphitheaters statewide will remain
closed indefinitely.

Group Camping

All group camping facilities statewide will remain closed closed indefinitely.

Swimming Beaches

Swimming beaches statewide will be closed until June 6.

Swimming Pools

DCNR is still in discussions with the Pennsylvania Department of Health to determine swimming pool openings, and what the recommended guidance will be for use of pools.

Programs and Events

All programs, events, and large gatherings at state parks and forests in counties that are designated red are cancelled through June 15.

Based on availability, organizers will have the option to reschedule later in the year. No new reservations for these activities are being taken.

In counties designated yellow, any events with more than 25 people will be cancelled. If the event is under 25 people and outdoors it will be allowed to occur, however any indoor events will be cancelled.

Pavilions

Consistent with obergruppenfuhrer Wolfโ€™s guidelines for reopening, facilities such as pavilions will only be available for groups under 25 and will be on a first come first serve basis.

Picnic tables in state parks will be dispersed to allow room to spread out and avoid crowds.

COVID-19 and Outdoor Recreation Reminders

Campsites and cabins should only be used by members living in the same household as part of COVID-19 mitigation efforts.

People who live in areas still under stay-at-home orders should not travel long distances for outdoor recreation, and instead should look for opportunities close to home.

My understanding is all Pa state parks will be open on May 22. Cabins and many other things in the parks will not open until later this summer. They haven't really said what will happen with the restrooms.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
PA might sort of be open for camping unless you prefer State Parks.
Hot off the presses. The yellow area are 24 of the 67 counties in the Northwest and North central part of the state. For all others, looks like sometime in June.........maybe. Sure are using the word "Indefinitly" a lot.

"State park and forest facilities including offices, campgrounds, and the Nature Inn at Bald Eagle in the counties in the yellow phase will be open to the public on May 15.

Cabins in the yellow areas will not open until June 12, to allow returning staff the ability to thoroughly clean them and prepare them for use.

Campgrounds and cabins in all other state parks will remain closed.

With the exception of one restroom in each day use area and marina, all state park and forest facilities outside of the counties in the yellow phase will remain closed until changes are made consistent with Obergruppenfuhrer Wolfโ€™s guidelines for reopening.

The public can still access DCNR trails, lakes, rivers, streams, forests, roads, and parking areas statewide for recreation."

Playgrounds and Nature Play Areas

All playgrounds and nature play areas statewide will remain closed indefinitely.

Interpretive Centers and Ampitheaters

All interpretive centers and amphitheaters statewide will remain
closed indefinitely.

Group Camping

All group camping facilities statewide will remain closed closed indefinitely.

Swimming Beaches

Swimming beaches statewide will be closed until June 6.

Swimming Pools

DCNR is still in discussions with the Pennsylvania Department of Health to determine swimming pool openings, and what the recommended guidance will be for use of pools.

Programs and Events

All programs, events, and large gatherings at state parks and forests in counties that are designated red are cancelled through June 15.

Based on availability, organizers will have the option to reschedule later in the year. No new reservations for these activities are being taken.

In counties designated yellow, any events with more than 25 people will be cancelled. If the event is under 25 people and outdoors it will be allowed to occur, however any indoor events will be cancelled.

Pavilions

Consistent with obergruppenfuhrer Wolfโ€™s guidelines for reopening, facilities such as pavilions will only be available for groups under 25 and will be on a first come first serve basis.

Picnic tables in state parks will be dispersed to allow room to spread out and avoid crowds.

COVID-19 and Outdoor Recreation Reminders

Campsites and cabins should only be used by members living in the same household as part of COVID-19 mitigation efforts.

People who live in areas still under stay-at-home orders should not travel long distances for outdoor recreation, and instead should look for opportunities close to home.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

That said, there's surely national forest available for you to camp in? Being self reliant all you need is an a clearing in the trees, right?

I think you will find that there is only one national forest in Pennsylvania and it has only a few sites available for dispersed camping. It is currently listed as closed.