cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scraped my Bumper!

Cameocarriage08
Explorer
Explorer
Installed my new B&W hitch on my new truck. Set it too high and rubbed underneath my bumper pulling out of driveway. Got it adjusted now and no more scraping but I need to fix my bumper. Fortunately its underneath and mostly hidden. Looking for some advice to fix it myself. Mainly just want to make it look better and keep it from getting worse.

11 REPLIES 11

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are fiberglass repair guys that come to boat yards and RV parks that can repair in correctly and spray gelcoat to match. Get on the phone and internet and find one and do it right. I have seen guys come into our Az RV resort and do this kind of repair. There is one sitting at home right now waiting for your call and a chance to make 200 or 300 bucks.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you guys are different than me. I would have it fixed professionally because at resell, the new buyer is going to think 'what else did they cheap-out on'? Unless, the original poster can do a professional job.

When we had our previous '08 Dynasty in for service, an identical Dynasty came in for repairs. The fella's wife was in a fuel station and turned too sharp and scraped a pole on the rear passenger side which crushed the exhaust extension along with scraping the fiberglass pretty bad.

At the end of the day, I went to pick up our coach after it was serviced and the 'damaged' Dynasty was fresh and new, you could not tell that it was ever damaged. They did an excellent job fixing the fiberglass and replacing the chrome extension. The paint matched perfectly and all completed in one day.

Safe travels and quarantine!
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
White duct tape.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the hitch adjustment beware you still may scrape coming out of parking lots or other places. I had this problem (luckily it was just my bumper that scraped - ripped the spare tire and one of jacks off). I put heavily duty rollers on mine and they've worked great. I'm not sure if you a place to mount them but if so I'd recommend it.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call your insurer tell them mice did it.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ideally if you can get to the backside, apply the fiberglass to there. Then once it's firmed up, you can bondo and sand it out pretty easy...then find some matching paint.

If you can't get to the backside, you can clean and sand the outside and fiberglass on the outside but then it takes more skill to get a good looking finished product.

Luckily, it's not a particularly visible area, so going to a fiberglass guy probably isn't needed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cameocarriage08
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Good info.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Were it mine I would probably stuff it full of Bondo, sand, and rattle can a few coats of paint to cover.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like yo actually ripped into the mat itself and not just scratched the shell. For a quick fix (result depends on your patience), get a fiberglass repair kit from an auto or marine supplier. Review online videos and pictures to make sure you see how to properly make the repair and give it a go.

You can also check with a local body shop or body surface repair tech and see what they charge; it may not be that expensive for a quick repair not destined to be seen.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good call on the B&W!

Scraped the bottom of my rear cap. I just sanded down the rough parts. Really wasn’t visible.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would use fiberglass repair kit, go on U- tube I am sure they must have a video how to fix fiberglass.