cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not Bored...............

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The weather here in Beauty downtown Gladstone, MO finally warmed up enough to go tackle the Biennial brake maintenance on my 95 F53 Ford chassis.
Pulled the front tires, removed the caliper slide pins, cleaned the mounting surfaces and pins, greased everything with synthetic grease and reassembled. Check wheel bearings. All was good.
Sucked out all the old brake fluid from the master cylinder with my turkey baster and refilled with new DOT 4 fluid. Got the wife to pump the brake pedal while I worked the bleeder. Installed the tires. Front brake maintenance done.
Pulled rear tires and then I got into trouble.
Checked the LR hub for play and found a bunch. OH NO!
Pulled the axle and bearing nuts and found a bad outer bearing.
The grease sparkled with metal particles. The whole rear end will have to come apart, cleaned and new bearings installed.
Fortunately I have set up a few ring and pinions in my younger days, so I can do all the necessary work.
Setting up the pinion depth and bearing preload shims can be time consuming. After the pinion is set, the ring gear backlash and bearing preload has to be set. Again time consuming.
Lucky for me I still have all the measuring devices from my days as a machinist.
Now that the rear end and hubs are back in place I had the wife pump the brake pedal again and all new brake fluid is in the rear calipers.
New 75-140 synthetic rear end grease installed, tires installed and MH is back on the ground.
Now all I have to do is the test drive.
Where did I lay my cell phone and the road service phone #?
Below is a picture with the pinion installed with new bearings.
Second picture is the old bearings, seals and left over new shims.

Click For Full-Size Image. height=400 width=600

Click For Full-Size Image. height=400 width=600

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson
5 REPLIES 5

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Was waiting for the third picture to be of the broken cell phone as you backed out over it. Would have been my luck.
Happy motorin

My flip phone stays on the end table when I'm thrashing about with tools in my hands. It's just a tether for my DW to find me. GRIN

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
I had the all the differential bearings and one axle replaced by a Ford Truck service center a couple years ago and I want to caution others to be aware of something some shops will pull on you. I had assumed that since the shop was a "Ford" truck repair center that the parts that would be replaced with genuine Ford parts but no. They replaced the old parts with after market off branded stuff that I never heard of just to save some money for themselves and hoping I wouldn't notice. And I didn't notice until I got home and reviewed the invoice which was too late. So what I'm saying is ask before you commit to a repair and make sure you get the quality parts you were expecting. Didn't mean to hijack this subject but I thought people needed to know. RLS7201 nice job I wish I had the talent to do what you did.

Thanks for the compliment.

I could have purchased bearings and seals with the Ford name and part # number them. But Ford don't make bearing & seals, they just relabel other manufactures bearings and seals. I did use Timkem bearings and seals.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting report and pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the all the differential bearings and one axle replaced by a Ford Truck service center a couple years ago and I want to caution others to be aware of something some shops will pull on you. I had assumed that since the shop was a "Ford" truck repair center that the parts that would be replaced with genuine Ford parts but no. They replaced the old parts with after market off branded stuff that I never heard of just to save some money for themselves and hoping I wouldn't notice. And I didn't notice until I got home and reviewed the invoice which was too late. So what I'm saying is ask before you commit to a repair and make sure you get the quality parts you were expecting. Didn't mean to hijack this subject but I thought people needed to know. RLS7201 nice job I wish I had the talent to do what you did.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Was waiting for the third picture to be of the broken cell phone as you backed out over it. Would have been my luck.
Happy motorin