cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Been waiting a long time on this post!

Cameocarriage08
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been close (if not over) my tow limits. I have a 2008 Carriage Cameo in mint condition but was towing with a 2006 F250 Crew Cab 2WD. 6.0 was completely bullet proofed and did well. Going up mountains was a bit tough and I always worried about stopping it. But yesterday I upgraded to a 2019 F350 crewcab dually 4WD. I ordered the B&W hitch that works with my Ford Puck System. Specs on my 5ver are below.

21 REPLIES 21

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, Thanks. What I am reading more then anything in your post, is eliminating the possibility of a suspension failure. That is certainly a valid point, BUT a person can spend a few hundred , beef up the shackles , X-factor as you said ,etc etc. I'm thinking the SRE is not that much different then the LRE I had. If I heard more then going over bridge entrances , then I would consider it .

I have towed four different fifth wheels all with leaf spring suspension, one with shocks, and can't speak for this present one ,but never an issue at all with the suspension .

I towed for 12 years with the MorRyde LRE ,and MorRyde pin box. ,not bad at all, but this Comfort Ride, is a better riding suspension then the LRE . All I have now is just the conventional pin box, yet its still a smoother ride.

I have towed fifth wheel with a variety of different suspensions...My first fiver has the basic suspension and I had an issue with a high nose .. While I was in Indiana at the KZ factory, they hooked me up with the folks at Morryde...

That was an unbelievable upgrade from the stock system..

Fast Forward to 2015 when I got my 1st Redwood..It had the basic suspension as well. Not wanting ( or able to ) add the IS , I went to the sre4000 with X factor supports. This was a nice upgrade to the stock ride.. then I swung a deal with Morryde and took that leap yet again ..

Fast forward again to 2019.. very happy with the Redwood, then Mr. Tree had something to say about that and made me loose that RV...

The new Redwood came stock with the Morryde SRE 4000... we were unable to arrange the Redwood to get the IS installed while the RV was still at the factory so we had to take receipt of It as is with no IS.... We planned to get it taken to Indiana after our 1st short trip to get the IS installed... When we got home from that trip, we really discussed the fact that the Ride with the Morryde pinbox AND SRE400 was awesome !

The REASON I still went ahead with the upgrade was the fact that these RV manufacturers don't usually BEEF up the other parts down there... I had heard a few stories about broken springs on these heavier trailer along with spring hangers ect . . .
No more springs, shackles, hangers, equalizers, wet bolts, dry bolts whatever.....

The ride between the sre4000 and IS is pretty darn close.... real close for that matter ( IN MY OPINION ) except at bridge entrances, the IS shines there ... BUT the IS removes all chances of another weak link in the suspension breaking ...

For THOSE reasons combined, I consider it second to none ... AGAIN.. ONLY MY ( and DW ) OPINION
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You tell me. 8k left 7k two on right.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I agree with the people who say that Moryde IS is the best.After 3 springs and 6 tire ruin I went with IS money very well spend.Why I don't do it before.

Have always been a little skeptical of IS ,disc brakes etc. Now with this new newer fifth wheel with disc brakes I'm a believer at least with the disc brakes compared to drum. This fifth wheel had also had a suspension upgrade to the Comfort Ride with shocks.

I have nothing to compare it too, other then the MorRyde LRE suspension on my previous fifth wheel . I couldn't possibly ask for a smoother towing fifth wheel, very nice ,and I thought my old Montana towed pretty well with the MorRyde suspension. I guess my point is when I read the claims about MorRyde IS , "NOTHING" comes close, just makes me wonder how that claim can be made , pretty bold statement . No doubt the MorRyde IS is the best, just wondering what is there one gets with IS upgrade.

Possibly if I had ruined a bunch of tires ,and springs I would think differently, but have never had a suspension problem other then having to replace the shear springs on my previous MorRyde LRE suspension.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the people who say that Moryde IS is the best.After 3 springs and 6 tire ruin I went with IS money very well spend.Why I don't do it before.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing like a one ton Ford diesel to instill confidence.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have your suspension height adjustment in the (raise axles for 4wd) or the lower of the two holes of the spring hangers. That will raise it about 2 inches until you decide to do an axles upgrade.
Also, if you don't have one already do your trailer a favor and get a Trailersaver air hitch or something similar. Its a huge impact absorber between your truck and pin box.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the truck. You have a great RV to go with it. Don't replace it with some new model junk. A new one may have more glitz and glam but won't be built like the Cameo. Safe travels.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting and informative.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simply nothing out there that comes close!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Here are some pics from my last visit there... look how beefy they are . . . . AND you don't have to worry about the springs, shackles, spring hangers, spring bolts............

They put a 3" riser on mine as well

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had 3" added to mine at MORryde.

TOP quality work!!!

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nice!

I am betting a suspension lift is next on the to do list for the RV.

If keeping your RV I highly advise spending the $$$ and getting the MORryde IS suspension. They can dial your RV to be the perfect height for your truck.

Ask FTG his opinion on that mod.

Yea, That Cameo looks to be riding low with that old ford..Once you switch you may find that the front of the trailer will be way up in the air as all the newer trucks are so much higher..
I've had the MORRyde IS put onto my last 3 fivers

When You pull into their lo they will-
pull you on a straight line and measure your current set up from ground to frame and ground to top of highest point in 3 different areas. then Then they measure the distance from truck bed to fiver overhang..

They will then back you into their garage and start the work, They go off the measurements and build a subframe to be welded onto the frame of the RV..This way once done you will ride 100% level from from to back.

They used to scale each wheel placement before anything, but they did not do that this last time...

This and Disk brakes are the best 2 Mods one can put onto a heavier trailer... That is, if your gonna keep it..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Good Luck with the new tow beast ! That would look good in any color! Although I am partial to Black...

UH, that would be "BLACK BETTY" :B

Whoa Black Betty, Bam-ba-lam :B

Always a good time to sing Ram Jam
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7