cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Hitch Receiver

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm getting ready to go full time. Adding a hitch carrier to the rear hitch receiver on my trailer will give me some nice storage for those less used items.
My idea....get a hitch carrier, the size is 60Wx20Dx6H, then I want to add a box that will fit in the carrier that I can lock. I like the diamond plate boxes but can't find a decent size for a decent price.

Have any of you done this? Ideas on boxes? Pictures??

Thanks!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
20 REPLIES 20

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
This box probably isn't wide enough, but it might give you some ideas.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lund-42-75-in-White-Steel-Full-Size-Chest-Truck-Tool-Box-88048/100598310
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a plastic tool box a receiver mounted tray on the back of my Class C. It worked great after I had the bumper rebuilt. I loved the extra storage for things like chairs, tables, and a small gas grill.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
You could look at something like this for the size you are looking at. It indicates only 40 lbs so won't eat up all of your weight rating. You would have to be pretty aware of how much stuff and the weight of that stuff you put in it though.

Jake8147
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of the same project. I watched OfferUp and LetGo apps in my area for 2 or 3 months for a truck bed toolbox, the style that rests on the bed rail tops at the front of the bed. I got a Kobalt brand, aluminum diamond plate, spacious, has latches and key lock, in very good shape for $35. I'm bolting it to a hitch carrier which will go in my Curt Class III receiver hitch bolted to the frame of my travel trailer.

campermama wrote:
I'm getting ready to go full time. Adding a hitch carrier to the rear hitch receiver on my trailer will give me some nice storage for those less used items.
My idea....get a hitch carrier, the size is 60Wx20Dx6H, then I want to add a box that will fit in the carrier that I can lock. I like the diamond plate boxes but can't find a decent size for a decent price.

Have any of you done this? Ideas on boxes? Pictures??

Thanks!!

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1015 Keystone Cougar that has a pull out cargo carrier below the bumper. Not sure if you can buy them separately but it's pretty neat because when not in use you just push it back in.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so sorry that we weren't helpful. ๐Ÿ˜ž
bumpy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
campermama wrote:
Usually this forum is the best place to get some ideas, help, answers. This time not so much.
Out of all the "answers" I got I think there were 2 that actually replied to what I was asking! Thank you to them!

Did you all just see the topic name and completely ignore my question? Seems that way.

Thanks anyway

Yeah these people suffer ADD or something.
Box ideas? Plastic truck bed tool box, or cheap (read lightweight) steel bed box.
Aluminum boxes are light but expensive.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually this forum is the best place to get some ideas, help, answers. This time not so much.
Out of all the "answers" I got I think there were 2 that actually replied to what I was asking! Thank you to them!

Did you all just see the topic name and completely ignore my question? Seems that way.

Thanks anyway

My Adventure Blog:

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
If you've ever been being a trailer and seen how much it bounces up and down, the 300# acts more like 600#. IMO
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I saw a fiberglass/plastic carrier, a european firm IIRC,that was designed to hold two bicycles vertically. could be swung down and had two wheels so it could be moved like a wheel barrow easily out of the way. I thought that would be great to add storage/hanging of clothes etc. on a B van. the shelves, etc. that I would add could be removed to carry bicycles if desired.
bumpy

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be careful putting 300lb on the back of a travel trailer. That is so far back that it will be almost pound for pound off the hitch weight and the weight of the hitch has to be included.

Also, it will result in almost double the weight on the trailer axles, so with only 1875lb cargo capacity, that's almost 1/3 of your cargo capacity.

At 10,000lb GVWR, assuming 1200lb hitch weight, 300lb could drop you to 900lb hitch weight or 9% which is well below the desirable 12-15% or even the minimum 10%.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Search etrailer.com for hitch cargo carrier.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again....I am asking about box ideas.....there is no bumper on my trailer, hitch is welded to the frame. There will not be that much weight on the carrier.

Soo....Anybody have a box on their trailer or have other ideas (about a box)?

My Adventure Blog:

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Metal box will eat up weight capacity of your platform.
For heavy weight, get a receiver Hitch welded to the frame bars ahead of the "bumper", sewage hose storage tube. For light to medium weight, get the reinforcing hooks that bolt to the frame bars to add extra support to the bumper. The bumper tube is thin steel and butt welded to the frame bars, not always too strongly.
I have a factory rear rack. While it rests on the bumper, its pivot hinges clamp to the frame in front of the bumper. It is rated for 250#, IIRC, and part of that weight is the mounted spare tire.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,