cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential Refrig

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
When I am on my way home, if I stay at a place without electricity, will my inverter run down my batteries too low ?
toolmaker
11 REPLIES 11

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a residental as well and also have solar and 5.5 Onan. When we dry camp the solar helps during the day a little. We run the gen 2 hours mid morning and 2 hours late afternoon. We are careful not opening the refrig unless necessary. We are also careful using other elect appliances. We have dry camped up to four days in sucession this way. Storage tanks are a bigger problem.
Big Bird 2

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we first got our current unit with Res Whirlpool fridge and 2 no-name 12V Batts, I did a test: Ran the Fridge for 36 hours without shore power, but using no other 12V items and Batts were still at 12.5V.
Our Fridge draws 11 amps from the Batteries when running, but only on for a short period per hour.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
How far is home? We have driven 3 days with overnight stopping in between and our fridge was still cold when we arrived. I guess it will depend on how topped off the batteries when you leave, outdoor temp, how many batteries you have and lots of other variables. I will say that our batteries died on one trip, but the fridge and freezer still held their cold.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
M.R.E. wrote:
When I am on my way home, if I stay at a place without electricity, will my inverter run down my batteries too low ?
Maybe, maybe not. Two well charged batteries and pre-cooled fridge should make a 12 hour stop with minimal time with the door open. Bad time to chill a case of warm beer. Otherwise the battery will be a bit low in the morning but will begin charging from the alternator as soon as you roll. Battery may arrive home a bit low as charging will be slow to none as the inverter will use most of the power from the truck. So plug in and charge 5+ hours when you get home. Two nights in a row could be more of a challenge with no generator.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drove 36 hours stopping to take 2 hour naps the frig 38 freezer 0 when arrived. I left the truck running the whole time.

So to answer your question who knows!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
M.R.E. wrote:

All inverters will shutdown if the voltage get too low. The question is "What is too low ?" and "Will that damage your batteries ?"

Not enough information ! Make and model of inverter. Make, model, quantity of batteries.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since there are several variables involved in determining how long an inverter can power an AC load, without pertinent info it's likely you will need to replenish your battery bank if staying more than a day, sooner if you only have a couple of batteries. We do most of our RVing off the power grid utilizing solar and occasionally our genny/Iota IQ4 smart converter to quickly restore consumed amphours to our 12 volt reserves.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
More information, please.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Adequate batteries and solar charging would make you independent of an electric hookup. Run the numbers...battery amp hours, fridge and other draws...see what you are using.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends upon how much power the inverter uses, battery charge and capacity.

For every 120V amp for inverter output it will draw 11 times that many amps from the battery.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. You'll need to run your generator or have a lot of solar output.