cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian “snow bird” numbers?

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has any organization produced any estimates of the number of Canadians that RV south in the winter?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
9 REPLIES 9

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
We stayed at a Class A only resort near lauderdale a few years ago. Entire place was filled with Prevosts, Foretravels and High end Newmars - every single one with a Canadian plate. The front desk clerk spoke French and all the signs were French first then English.

Must have been Aztec resort--- owned and occupied by French Canadians
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has to be a considerable benefit where Canadians spend. I remember hearing years ago when our dollars were lower than the U.S. some parks would take the Canadian dollar at par.
Does this happen anywhere nowadays I wonder.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We stayed at a Class A only resort near lauderdale a few years ago. Entire place was filled with Prevosts, Foretravels and High end Newmars - every single one with a Canadian plate. The front desk clerk spoke French and all the signs were French first then English.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe StatsCan?...when we came home Mar18, among questions asked by CBSA at Peace Arch border crossing was : Q. How long in USA? A. Since Jan 4. Q. Do you do this often? A. Yes, 14 years. Q. Consecutively? A. Yes. Q. Are you returning home earlier than usual? A. Yes
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:
Has any organization produced any estimates of the number of Canadians that RV south in the winter?

None here now!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
I have seen some pretty big spreads on those numbers. As low as 400,000 and as high as around 1.1 million. No idea what the criteria is though. Many of us who own property there. California, Arizona and Florida are the three epicentres.

I think a lot of us will not be heading south this year because.

A) the border may not be opened
B) can’t get travel insurance for anywhere with a travel advisory on it. The US will likely be the worst hit country of any country in the world. Even if the travel advisory is lifted insurance companies may still not insure for Covid and that would be a no go. A US hospital with no insurance is a fast track to bankruptcy.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t think anyone tracks the numbers very well or closely but the usual number bandied around is “over half a million”.

According to just the Florida State tourism people 3.5 million Canadians visit that State every year.

I also saw a reference to some 300,000 Canadians that own property in Florida although not all of those are snowbirds, I myself am in the boat, I own 2 properties in Florida but rarely stay more than 2 weeks at a time.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there was one that does, it would probably be the "Canadian Snowbird Association".

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What organizations have you asked?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad