cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Optimism in the RV Industry

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/james-briggs/2020/04/05/why-elkhart-indiana-might-...

Not sure I buy the logic completely. People who are working rarely have much time for the slower travel pace of an RV for longer trips. People who are retired who donโ€™t already have an RV likely arenโ€™t going to make the leap.

If we are fortunate, weโ€™ll see how it turns out.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
11 REPLIES 11

restlessways
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
Had this idiocy not arrived, I would have bought a new RV by now- we were in the final stage of narrowing it down and deciding on a dealer. I'll still buy it when this is over, but that isn't going to help anyone in the short term.

Same here. I've given up on my truck camper purchase for the time being. Why would I buy something when a) the discounts are almost non-existent, and b) I can't even use it right now?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Had this idiocy not arrived, I would have bought a new RV by now- we were in the final stage of narrowing it down and deciding on a dealer. I'll still buy it when this is over, but that isn't going to help anyone in the short term.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 will see a rash of bankruptcies

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I'm optimistic they will build something truly worth the money.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV industry is going to be in trouble for a long time except for the demand for old cheap trailers for people one step from being homeless.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
When the RV manufacturers start building again, they will slap them together faster and cheaper than ever in order to make up for lost time and cash-flow.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
great time to start building quality rv,s but this ain,t never going away, heard on the 6am news theres a lion that got it from the care taker. whats next beef cows,pigs. my kids dogs. its here to stay.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice if the RV Execs would use this time to re-think their production methods and put Quality at the top of the list. They could come out of this down period with a new fresh look. Sure they are going to cost more, but when you buy a new unit and it's in the shop for the first 5-6 months, how much has that cost you?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
They might has well write off the rest of 2020.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I will buy a new RV provided the industry and dealers that aren't selling anything right now understand that they're going to have to offer me an even greater discount than the 25%-30% we all expect now. If they think they can survive this recession, near depression or whatever this ends up being and still overcharge for products that have little quality control, they're nuts! Or.....maybe I'm nuts to hope for greater discounts to move new units.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Naturally the RV execs are going to try to sound optimistic so as not to further affect the business as reflected in the statement "......, but we do believe the RV and boating industries will return to strength at the appropriate time in the future.โ€ But "appropriate time in the future" could be anywhere from next month (unlikely) to 3 years or more from now (more likely).

I think there will be far too many people affected financially to be willing to spend large amounts of money until the memory starts to fade.