cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

West Michigan to Fort Wilderness review

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Although our reservations at the Fort isn't until next February, with all this free time on my hands it is nice to be able to take our minds off things and do a little planning. This is the type of stuff I really enjoy, planning routes and stops along the way. We have driven by car to Disney many times and have always driven through downtown Atlanta. This Google map link below shows the basic route I am thinking going thru Alabama thus avoiding Atlanta altogether. If anybody wants they can drag the route around a bit as I don't know the local conditions of roads as many of you may. I know once I get near Disney there is a quicker way but we wanted to be able to drive under the Disney Welcome sign (yes we are Disney nerds.)

Once I get the basic route figured out then I can have fun with identify all the gas, overnight, rest stops etc.

Google Map Route

Thanks in advance

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
9 REPLIES 9

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Also watch out for the 55 mph to 35 mph speed limit changes in the small towns along 231. These generate a lot of revenue.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Although our reservations at the Fort isn't until next February, with all this free time on my hands it is nice to be able to take our minds off things and do a little planning. This is the type of stuff I really enjoy, planning routes and stops along the way. We have driven by car to Disney many times and have always driven through downtown Atlanta. This Google map link below shows the basic route I am thinking going thru Alabama thus avoiding Atlanta altogether. If anybody wants they can drag the route around a bit as I don't know the local conditions of roads as many of you may. I know once I get near Disney there is a quicker way but we wanted to be able to drive under the Disney Welcome sign (yes we are Disney nerds.)

Once I get the basic route figured out then I can have fun with identify all the gas, overnight, rest stops etc.

Google Map Route

Thanks in advance

Dan

I live in NE AL and go to FW about 5 or 6 times a year towing a 45'er. We usually leave in the evening and go through ATL well after rush hour. I prefer the ATL route. I75 is 3 lane all of the way to the FL turnpike, and I have all my favorite fuel stops and possible overnight spots picked out.

With that said there's nothing wrong with the I65 to 231 route. We actually took it on the way home last time due to midday holiday traffic in ATL. I65 can be rough through BHM, but they have done some work on it recently so it may be better. I never drive through BHM on 65 so someone else may know better than me. 231 is in pretty good shape too. You will hit a lot more stop and go on 231....lots of stoplights between Montgomery and I10. It is a pretty drive, and I10 between 231 and I75 is nice too.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I65 to 231 in Montgomery is my favorite route to Florida. Did the I65/I24/I75 many times till I found 231. A much more relaxing drive.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Dave in TN wrote:
I live on the south side of Nashville and have driven that route with both a TT and a MH many times. It’s an easy route and nearly all 4 lane divided. Plenty of services along the route and some good campgrounds along 231 between Montgomery and Dothan if you need one. I can get to central Florida about an hour quicker going through Atlanta IF the traffic cooperates. But the Alabama route is usually less stressful IMO.

Thanks Dave, this is what I was thinking and hoping for in this route.

Dan

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I live on the south side of Nashville and have driven that route with both a TT and a MH many times. It’s an easy route and nearly all 4 lane divided. Plenty of services along the route and some good campgrounds along 231 between Montgomery and Dothan if you need one. I can get to central Florida about an hour quicker going through Atlanta IF the traffic cooperates. But the Alabama route is usually less stressful IMO.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Surprised they are taking you down I-65 all the way. I would cut over to I-75 around Lexington.

Atlanta is not as bad as people say. Drive straight through. If you want to avoid traffic plan on hitting downtown before 6AM or after 8AM.

This basic route is the way my wife's Aunt and Uncle take when they winter in Florida, I'll have to ask them as well next time I see them. I've driven through Atlanta many times but if I can find an alternate I'd rather not go through Atlanta with the fifth wheel. It's only about an hour longer and a change of scenery is welcome. I just don't know the finer details of this route or what road conditions are. Just looking for some tips from those who know these roads better or perhaps another route that avoids Atlanta.

Dan

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised they are taking you down I-65 all the way. I would cut over to I-75 around Lexington.

Atlanta is not as bad as people say. Drive straight through. If you want to avoid traffic plan on hitting downtown before 6AM or after 8AM.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy planning a future, tentative route too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
Did you mean to attach a link? :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230