cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Polyester-mites

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every spring around the first of April in the south , those of us with boats and/or RVs must start watching for signs of the polyester mites that attack the fiberglass portions of their vehicle . Watch for very small glass particles underneath very similar to termite residue . If found check with local exterminators . These infestations usually begin about April first .
16 REPLIES 16

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be careful that you don't feed the mites after midnight or else they become ROUS's

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve always preferred blinker fluid.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Headlight fluid has many uses . I soak my frozen muffler bearings in a can of it . Frees bearings up in a couple hours .

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
For crying out loud, relax people. You can easily kill them using over the counter 'Headlight Fluid' !
I can tell BS when I see it!

It takes a combination of zigzagrv's and Edd505's recommendations - mothballs wrapped in dryer sheets. That actually works for lots of RV intruders.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
For crying out loud, relax people. You can easily kill them using over the counter 'Headlight Fluid' !

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
mothballs dummies mothballs
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gobi Desert , I think I went deep sea fishing there or R&R coming home from Nam !

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone told me that surgical masks will stop them, but then I could not figure out how to put the masks on their faces.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
There is a newly rediscovered cure for this malaise.
The eupcaccia can correct the issue with no muss, no fuss.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are you ok now, bid time?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
What day is it??? I'd better go check my trailer.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
zigzagrv wrote:
I heard that dryer sheets keep them away. Since using them, have not seen any mite residue.

Dryer sheets only work on adults. You need to apply a mixture of salt and honey to kill the larvae.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I heard that dryer sheets keep them away. Since using them, have not seen any mite residue.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yea, They ate the box housing my flux capacitor and the next time it rained it shorted it out and left me stranded in the middle of the Gobi desert during monsoon season.