cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I have a different kind of electrical problem

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
just a little humor...with everything going on...

here is my problem...guess what it is ๐Ÿ™‚

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion
25 REPLIES 25

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
Are you using 2 sets of sensors? the set in the picture and a second set clamped on the generator feed?

I'm using a 3rd sensor for the generator...since it's a 120v generator...only need 1 for it.

"OK it just looked like the mechanical interlock was forcing a 2 pole breaker off (the feed from the generator) when the main was on."

The one feed from the generator goes to L1 and L2 of that breaker when on emer power....good eye ๐Ÿ™‚
B&W Ram Companion

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using 2 sets of sensors? the set in the picture and a second set clamped on the generator feed?

I'm using a 3rd sensor for the generator...since it's a 120v generator...only need 1 for it.

OK it just looked like the mechanical interlock was forcing a 2 pole breaker off (the feed from the generator) when the main was on.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
yes, each panel has its own main breaker

The white/black wires under the cover go to sensors for an Efergy energy monitor system that shows the Watts being used...they just go to clamp on sensor and have no voltage passing through them to speak of....I could clean that up some. I use it to measure the electrical energy use...I have it wired so It also show the generator load when on emergency power. The wires go to a battery operated transmitter that sends the info to a wireless display.

B&W Ram Companion

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:

The white/black wires under the cover go to sensors for an Efergy energy monitor system that shows the Watts being used...they just go to clamp on sensor and have no voltage passing through them to speak of....I could clean that up some. I use it to measure the electrical energy use...I have it wired so It also show the generator load when on emergency power. The wires go to a battery operated transmitter that sends the info to a wireless display.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you did what I did at the lake cabin, installed a 50 amp receptacle in the garage for my motorhome.

My son can charge his Tesla. It's not quite a super-charger but he says he gets about 19 miles per hour of charge.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
B&W Ram Companion

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
Answers...

Yeah one of the covers looks crooked in the picture...but it is not when closed.

Yes the male cord is a generator inlet, I used the RV 120 Volt 30 amp homemade inlet because I have plenty of those extension cords already and it goes into the 30 amp RV plug on my Champion....thought about improving that in the future.

The square box is a whole home surge protector.

The EVSE is the charging cable for my Nissan Leaf EV.

cleaner pic.

I didn't pick the paint..bought the house like that...the picture below has some reflection from the tail light of my truck on it...FYI

I originally had the sensor outside...but moved the transmitter inside for a better signal...

I see 3- 3/0 cables from each burndy in the wiring trough. Each panel has it's own main breaker?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Then the problem is that with the stay at home orders your EV isn't getting driven. Therefore the expensive modifications you did to the house to keep it charged are not currently getting used.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
Paying the electric bill for that big ass house.

Last bill ~$104...one before that ~$94...all electric except water heater and cook top. 1 x 5 ton AC/Heat pump. Helps to have all LED or Fluorescent lighting.
B&W Ram Companion

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Paying the electric bill for that big ass house.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
The problem is with the short generator stub cord. Now you have to stand there and hold the generator in the air while in use.

not if you use the extension cord that I already have. ๐Ÿ˜„
B&W Ram Companion

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The problem is with the short generator stub cord. Now you have to stand there and hold the generator in the air while in use.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Answers...

Yeah one of the covers looks crooked in the picture...but it is not when closed.

Yes the male cord is a generator inlet, I used the RV 120 Volt 30 amp homemade inlet because I have plenty of those extension cords already and it goes into the 30 amp RV plug on my Champion....thought about improving that in the future.

The square box is a whole home surge protector.

The EVSE is the charging cable for my Nissan Leaf EV.

cleaner pic.

I didn't pick the paint..bought the house like that...the picture below has some reflection from the tail light of my truck on it...FYI

I originally had the sensor outside...but moved the transmitter inside for a better signal...

B&W Ram Companion

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Male connector on the gen cord, maybe?

^^^THIS^^^

Nope! This is very standard for larger portable generators.