cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling Mass TurnPike from New York. ( mountains ?)

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
I’m driving a 2003 31’ Minnie Winnie motorhome and towing a small Honda Fit back to Vermont. To avoid the really steep mountains in Vermont crossing over from New York up near Albany I was planning to pick up the Mass turnpike off I-87 and go east then picking up I-91 to head north. Are there any mountains to speak of on the turnpike? I understand the Turnpike will add time due to its direction but the mountains are my main concern. Any other concerns I should aware of? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
These are strange times. Never seen anything like it in my life. Travel is to be avoided, but I had to take a couple trips - one with camper. It was necessary. If you feel you have to go - go and be careful . Lets not be judgemental about other folks needs'. Just try to be helpful to each other.

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Well said Dutch.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We are a couple of nights out from reaching our upstate NY cottage where we'll hunker down for the duration. We will not be passing anywhere near NYC, NJ, or CT. Our rationale is that we could lay low in an area where we know no one, have no support network, and are not familiar with the available medical facilities, or we could travel for a couple more days and be where we do know many people and do have a support network and we are familiar with the available medical facilities. That's not a difficult choice to make...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
The CDC rules apply to everyone, Crowe.

Yup, they do, but someone else's behavior is still not subject to your approval or permission. Someone traveling trying to get home following CDC protocols poses no more risk than you going to the grocery store. And interstate travel is not prohibited.
Well stated, thank you.

Lwiddis seems to think that since he is home the rest of us should just stay wherever we are. The reality is that a lot of us need to get home.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

Yup, they do, but someone else's behavior is still not subject to your approval or permission. Someone traveling trying to get home following CDC protocols poses no more risk than you going to the grocery store. And interstate travel is not prohibited.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You’ve been away from your medical providers for four months but now it’s necessary?

“The CDC finalized the notice late Saturday night.
The advisory discourages people living in those three states from traveling domestically. It does not apply to those employed by critical infrastructure industries, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, who often commute between the three states.
"Due to extensive community transmission of COVID-19 in the area, CDC urges residents of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for 14 days effective immediately," the CDC said in an email to reporters.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Necessary to travel at this time? Otherwise, stay put. Mountains are easy compared to the Corona virus. It’s deadly.

Comments like this are not helpful. His decision, not subject to anyone else's permission or approval.

There are some hills going east on the Pike from NY, nothing major, but they are kinda steady and then rolling. Last hill is 6 miles downhill before West Springfield.

Yup. Not steep but sometimes they catch people off guard because the grades aren't always obvious.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

CarryOn
Explorer
Explorer
The hills on the mass pike aren't any worse than
the hills in Vermont on 91 north.
Don't forget the Mass Pike has tolls !!

Mike
1999 Lance 1030
2006 F350 SRW 6.0L

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
There are some hills going east on the Pike from NY, nothing major, but they are kinda steady and then rolling. Last hill is 6 miles downhill before West Springfield. Perhaps some one can chime in, but what about going east on 84 to 91? It's been years since I traveled this w/ my company and want to say there were some GOOD hills at first, then leveled out. Depending on where you live in VT, 87 above Albany is a easy drive w/ just a couple small inclines until you get to Lake George. Jump off at exit 20 and head towards Whitehall/Fair Haven. Pick up 22A north to Burlington. Easily done w/ your rig.BUT going east anywheres in VT from the west and you'll have hills no matter what.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

no large mountains... just a few small , regular sized hills....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Yes necessary . Going home after 4 months south and need to get to our medical providers.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go have fun, tell us what you thought.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain