cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone seen a Van Leigh???

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
A Tiffin ptoduct. In our "lockdown" we were watching some youtube and found several rv topics. Some showed various campers from around the world. Most were nice.

Then were saw a video of the Van Leigh, top ender... Looks as if it has some quality to it. Of course everyone says theirs is the best. It showed the Van Leigh 42RDB... BIG and would take lots of truck. But figured the Toyota could handle it since it was pushed along by the shuttle;)

Is it actually a pretty trouble free unit? $110000 or so.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
21 REPLIES 21

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
kennethwooster wrote:
Our Beacon came with disc brakes and heavy Goodyear tires. Doesn’t have MorRide but another brand of suspension. Cannot remember the brand they told me. It pulls really smooth.

I did not disc brakes or better suspension as an option. I'm glad to see those items are available from OEM vs. aftermarket
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Our Beacon came with disc brakes and heavy Goodyear tires. Doesn’t have MorRide but another brand of suspension. Cannot remember the brand they told me. It pulls really smooth.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
MNRon wrote:
Lantley - I don’t disagree with you, but after looking determined VL was the best available (too bad NuWa went out of business). We planned to put MORRyde IS and Kodiak brakes on before we put money down on the VL. Wish it came that way, but mine now has what I want.

I hear you. I upgraded to disc brakes and better suspensions as well.
My hope is that my next unit will come with these upgrades already installed. But as you pointed out my hope and what is actually available may not line up.
I agree with a post above. Heavier axles,suspensions and disc brakes should at least be an option on higher end units
Correct Trax,Splendide

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
VanLeigh now calls itself a Tiffin product, which it is, and they've been out for over a year. Their entry level is the Pincrest, middle is the Vilano, and the top-of-the-line is the Beacon. Sale prices at our store has the Beacon $98-101k and the Vilano in the 70s. The Beacon has dual pane windows and much thicker walls, lots of luxury. They sport the same Spyder control panel found in their Tiffin motorhomes. These trailers appear to be of better quality than many others we sell.

I have searched around the Vanleigh looking for info and specifics of the sidewalls for the Beacon and the Vilano. I can't find anything. Does Beacon have thicker sidewall. If so, Vanleigh should advertise that. Even their own brochure fails to illustrate its "build quality" with an exploded view of the frame, sidewall, and roof design. Further proof they are really selling fluff.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
I just wish these companies would ditch half the glitz and put that cost into actual quality, especially things that are "under the skin".

Lyle

Exactly! Through a beautiful paint job which cost in the range of $10k and a nicely appointed interior and its high end. yet the frame, sidewall thickness, cheap underrated axles and all the other mediocre stuff is all the same. No thanks.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley - I don’t disagree with you, but after looking determined VL was the best available (too bad NuWa went out of business). We planned to put MORRyde IS and Kodiak brakes on before we put money down on the VL. Wish it came that way, but mine now has what I want.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
MNRon Wrote:"We did add MorRyde IS suspension and Kodiak disc brakes (original suspension had several issues on-line, and we were very happy with IS we had on HH)"

You hit the nail on the head once you upgrade the suspension and brakes the Vilano
becomes a decent upscale unit.
Owners need to demand these items and not buy units with inadequate brakes and questionable suspensions.
I don't fault you for upgrading I just think its a shame to have to replace the suspension and brakes on a brand new unit.
Maybe progress is being made. There was a time when one needed to replace the tires on brand new units to avoid blowouts caused by the poor quality OEM tires.

Experienced owners have come to realize that you need to be more concerned about the structural integrity vs. the latest brochure features.

Who needs whole house internet,surround cameras, and a 3rd A/C if the axles are marginally sized and the spring mounts are inadequate.
Give me factory disc brakes not insufficient electro magnetic truck pushers.
Don't tell me it's a top of the line unit because it has soft close cabinets
but yet the frame is weak and improperly welded.
If Vilano really want to raise the bar. They will build a brand new unit that does not need to go to the suspension shop to have adequate running gear and brakes installed.
Again MNRon I don't fault you for upgrading, I fault Vilano for building an alleged top of the line unit that needs upgrading.

As I said, cut the glitz and add quality. I realize that if you want =both= you'll have to pay for it. Hell, a lot of the problems we, as owners, have would be solved by allowing more =options=.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
MNRon Wrote:"We did add MorRyde IS suspension and Kodiak disc brakes (original suspension had several issues on-line, and we were very happy with IS we had on HH)"

You hit the nail on the head once you upgrade the suspension and brakes the Vilano
Owners need to demand these items and not buy units with inadequate brakes and questionable suspensions.
I don't fault you for upgrading I just think its a shame to have to replace the suspension and brakes on a brand new unit.
Maybe progress is being made. There was a time when one needed to replace the tires on brand new units to avoid blowouts caused by the poor quality OEM tires.

Experienced owners have come to realize that you need to be more concerned about the structural integrity vs. the latest brochure features.

Who needs whole house internet,surround cameras, and a 3rd A/C if the axles are marginally sized and the spring mounts are inadequate.
If Vilano really want to raise the bar. They will build a brand new unit that does not need to go to the suspension shop to have adequate running gear and brakes installed.
Again MNRon I don't fault you for upgrading, I fault Vilano for building an alleged top of the line unit that needs upgrading.

Amen, brother.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I heard that Lippert opened a frame factory just down the road from Vanleigh to save shipping cost, and meet their demand.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

Correct Trax,Splendide

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2019 320GK Vilano in August of 2018 after looking and seriously comparing with Grand Design and Montana. What sets VL significantly apart is the solid wood cabinetry, it looks very nice. We've traveled ~35% of the time we've had it for >20k miles.

We previously had a 2005 HitchHiker and didn't want to step down in quality and construction. Overall we're very satisfied with the VL.

We did add MorRyde IS suspension and Kodiak disc brakes (original suspension had several issues on-line, and we were very happy with IS we had on HH) and added 630AHr Lifeline AGMs and Magnum inverter to run everything. I've also made MANY modifications to make it ours.

We're on our 3rd Furrion fireplace and second Furrion audio, Furrion has been very responsive but it's too bad we had problems. Similarly for a handful of minor issues VanLeigh has been very responsive, and an affiliated, but independent, service center in Tishmingo is TOP NOTCH.

We live in an RV community in TN and see MANY different coaches here. Our VL 5er has had some minor issues, but no worse than Entegra, Newmar, and other new high-end coaches all around us. Would we buy a VL again - Yes: they make a good unit, have lots of nice features, LOVE the cabinetry, and provide good support
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I just wish these companies would ditch half the glitz and put that cost into actual quality, especially things that are "under the skin".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I walked through a Beacon at an RV show and it seemed "fake fancy" to me, but with a Real Fancy price tag. Like a lot of shiny things etc. that were bordering on tacky (that might just be my own taste though). But when I really looked closely, I didn't see any actual substance that was any better than something that has a lower cost. You're paying for the flash.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I agree they are OK but to really be top quality they need:
the heavy duty bones of a DRV---the heavy box beam frame, thick walls, independent suspension, standard disc brakes, available fiberglass roof etc.
Otherwise they are just another mediocre player with more style than substance.
To their credit buyers seems to want and accept more style than substance.
Correct Trax,Splendide