cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? L E D taillights

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you have regular tail, stop, turm taillights, can they be changed over to plug & play lights

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
44 REPLIES 44

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bumpyroad wrote:

the OPs question can easily be answered with a yes or no, and references/links to replacements.
the BS comes in when the claim is made that the 10 microseconds quicker lighting up will save the world. a more effective accident avoidance would be to increase distance between you and the vehicle ahead. who here adheres to the one car length per 10 mph or whatever, from my observances nobody does. reaction times, tire/brake condition, etc. etc. have more effect IMHO.
but please block me since my posts offend you.
bumpy

Modifying my brake lights has no impact one way or the other on my following distance to the car ahead of me.

I can't control the following distance of people behind me. I can change out to LED and give the guy following too close a little more time to avoid hitting me.

Will it "save the world"? no
Will it significantly reduce the chance of being hit or reduce the damage if hit? definitely.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of good info here and let me add some more and some comments.

I like Super Bright Led's as well as a supplier. also ECO-Led but COSTLY (about 20 bucks a pop)

Yes adding the resistor offsets the energy savings but .. Leds trend to outlast regular lamps too...

There are two (or more) types of flashers. ONE is not very senistive to load (These are often sold as HEAVY DUTY they flash at about the same speed with 1 lamp 2, or 5.. Others are load sensitive.
The difference (observable) is a short delay between SWITCH and LIGHT on the HD

I know why

Now we get to the how fast they light.. Did not know that. Good info.

BUT one thing I observe is (And I'm sorry about wording it this way but. alas, Cant' resist) a LACK of Social Distancing.

I was taught to follow one car length for every 20 MPH or about 1 foot for every MPH.. Later it was changed to "The distance you travel in 2 seconds" and later increased to 3 and even more if the road is less than clear dry pavement.

What I see at 60 mph, is cars so close together as they pass me I look for a tow bar.. I'm not kidding.. I know there is a little brown car that follows my big brown motor home at serious "Tailgate" distance. but there is a physical connection (TOW BAR) When I see cars doing that on the freway without tow bars..

I recall one day at work. We got calls of a stove on the road (S/B I-75 north of Caniff, Detroit, MI) NO, not there.
Also not north of Davison
FOUND IT< north of McNichols (6 Mile 2 miles north of Caniff) 2nd lane.

We watched cars approach (NOTE We are sitting down at the Lodge and howard miles from there. using remotely controlled cameras. More on that later) approach 2 or 3 at at time all at "Tow bar" seperation.

The first guy changes lanes at the last second
The rest underwear

Finally a group of 3 cars and a pick up
First car changes lanes at last second
Second underwear
Fairly Sure #3 tapped the bumper on #2
Pick up does not stop, Does not slow down. Place kicks that stove a good quarter mile down the road (now south of McNichols) and onto the shoulder.

Called off responding troopers, Called county back and scheduled pick up for daytime (Instead of overtime).

Now about those cameras the "Boondoggle" as one reporter called 'em.

Without the cameras, due to a special event, the troopers would have NEVER found that stove.. They would have flipped most likely at McNichols (South of it) and headed back south. So this is but one example where the cameras were effective.. I have a lot of 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
well stated. by the way I went back through this thread and noticed that way2roll's entire input into it was the whining at me. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

If you don't get it, you don't get it. smh.
Well, to be fair, he's right, you didn't contribute anything to the thread, just criticizing him.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My vehicle uses 1157 park brake signal lamps. There are brighter incandescent options like the 3496, but supposedly, the only good ones come from Japan made for Honda.

I got some led 1157's based on a friend's experience using a lux meter comparing brightness of both low and high 'filaments' in the same housing as my own. When installed I had to agree they were slightly brighter and deeper red than the new incandescent 3496's I had, more than enough brightness difference between low and high, and were visible from all angles just as well, not just right from behind and I deemed them acceptable.

I liked the few extra alternator amps available for charging batteries at hot idle foot on the brake, the instant on and slightly brighter light.

Fast forward less than 2 years, I was driving making a right turn, turn signal on and braking, and heard an angry horn, then a stacatto rhythm as if the driver behind me was trying to convey more than anger. On inspection of my rear lighting, I found the passenger side LED had failed. While I had a stick between seat and brake pedal holding the brakes on, the other LED started flickering and I found half the radially firing LEDS were no-op, the other half completely non-op. No idea how long it had been this way, but its likely more than a few weeks of obliviousness, and less than safe vehicular lighting.

The 3496 incandescents I keep in the glove box, went back in.

I had added add a LED CHMSL third brake light not long after the 1157 leds. It is so obvious just how much faster it lights up compared to the incandescents.

I will someday likely get more 1157 BA-15d taillight LED bulbs, but that day is not today. I think they are driving the LEDS beyond their safe longevity range with not enough heatsinking, especially when 14.4v+ is reaching their sockets.
The better made Phillips LED bulbs are $$$ and do not seem to be as bright as incandescents in many vehicles they are installed in, their only advantage being the instant on and less current consumption.

Having experimented a LOT with 12v LEDs at different voltages, those without current limiting circuitry built in, will consume nearly 2x as much amperage at 14.7v as they will at 12.0v and be about 30 to 50% brighter, and make a LOT more heat.

Since I removed my headlight current from passing through headlight switch, much more voltage gets to the other bulbs with the headlights on than before, and I cannot depend on voltage drop keeping the bulbs from getting too hot and if my battery is less than fully charged, I keep voltage at 14.7v, because I can.

I'm glad that the horrible pink led brake lights of a few years ago are not readily seen anymore, I assume most who installed white leds behind red lenses had them fail and went back to incandescent, and like me regretted the purchase and effort required to replace them twice.

What I despise is LED bulbs dropped into Headlamp incandescent housings, reflectors or projectors. Most drivers seem to actually want to blind the drivers on the other side of the road, or if they are unaware, just would not care anyway, as consideration for others is long gone in the self important douchewater personalities of today.

It's worse than drivers leaving their high beams on and their forward lighting, and their ability to see is less than the halogens in the reflectors they removed. But its whiter light, and fashionable, and ignorant, arrogant, inconsiderate behavior is in no short supply today.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bumpyroad wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Not really wanting to get in between you two fighting but I do want to give a different point of view as to why I moved to LED tail lights.

I spend a considerable amount of time commuting daily to work, 500 miles a week..

Over the years I have seen women putting makeup on at highway speeds, someone taking their "T" top off their car while driving, reading a newspaper and books while driving, texting while driving..

I have seen folks with bunch of bright electronic screens mounted to their windshield..

I have seen folks driving with the interior lights on at night..

I have experienced TAILGATORS nearly on a daily basis even at 70+ MPH, at those speeds they should be multiple car lengths behind you.. Nope, they are often so close I cannot see their headlights or front end and that is without a trailer attached.

Distracted driving has been around for a long time, it is now even more so.

So, if a huge BRIGHT WALL of red tailights gives me a slight advantage that someone driving stupidly distracted happens to see that bright wall of lights in time to react and prevent a disaster I WILL TAKE IT.

Simply put, I (and YES YOU BUMPY) do not have control over OTHER DRIVERS and what they do.

We cannot keep them from TAILGATING, driving distracted or not even driving (autopilots), we can only WARN THEM that driving conditions in front of them are changing (Tail lights).

I will take even a microsecond advantage (the speed LEDs light up faster than a incadescent bulb) if that is what it takes for me to avoid someone driving into me from the rear.

LEDs do react faster, they are brighter when done correctly and you can really see the difference.. Just don't buy them solely for life, I have had to replace lots of LED modules and they did not have the 100,000 hrs that was claimed (11 yrs of continuous light).

well stated. by the way I went back through this thread and noticed that way2roll's entire input into it was the whining at me. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

If you don't get it, you don't get it. smh.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is what I replaced the incandescent units with. I could have simply replaced the lamps with LED's but this was FAR BETTER!

This is what I used on my 1984 Komfort, I can testify that they are super bright.

However, the brightness comes with a cost..

Less life.

Yep, I HAVE had to replace 3 modules out of 4 in less than 5 yrs of very little use compared to what they should last.

I will say though the replacement modules so far have been better in life.

Considering just how expensive these ones are they should outlast the RV life and buying individual replacements is super insanely priced.

I would suggest buying an extra two bay "tail, turn, stop" ASSEMBLIES while you are at it so you have a set of spares to replace any module that quits while on the road.

The two bay costs around $47-$50 and single "replacement" modules can cost $38-$40 each.

You can also buy drop in plug and play replacements if you have the Bargman #84 frame..

Which run $25-$30 each..

You will not find these at your local Walmart so keeping a spare is a wise idea..

I used those same Bargman LED replacement modules on my truck camper last year after nearly being rear-ended by a semi. The driver got next to me and told me my brake lights werenโ€™t working, but when I pulled over to check them, they were fine. Later on though, I noticed that when you were looking down at my brake lights from about the height a truck driver would be at, they seemed to be very dim during daylight hours.

The replacement modules arenโ€™t cheap, but they much, much brighter.

Upgraded TC Taillights to LED

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Etrailer was the sole online vendor that had high current 2 pin sockets and plugs

The city that I am in for the present has draconian fines for celling while driving and prison automatic for injury accidents. They seize celulars by gunpoint. If necessary. Any texts or calls at the time of the accident a driver can kiss their rear end adios

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Not really wanting to get in between you two fighting but I do want to give a different point of view as to why I moved to LED tail lights.

I spend a considerable amount of time commuting daily to work, 500 miles a week..

Over the years I have seen women putting makeup on at highway speeds, someone taking their "T" top off their car while driving, reading a newspaper and books while driving, texting while driving..

I have seen folks with bunch of bright electronic screens mounted to their windshield..

I have experienced TAILGATORS nearly on a daily basis even at 70+ MPH, at those speeds they should be multiple car lengths behind you.. Nope, they are often so close I cannot see their headlights or front end and that is without a trailer attached.

So, if a huge BRIGHT WALL of red tailights gives me a slight advantage that someone driving stupidly distracted happens to see that bright wall of lights in time to react and prevent a disaster I WILL TAKE IT.

Simply put, I (and YES YOU BUMPY) do not have control over OTHER DRIVERS and what they do.

We cannot keep them from TAILGATING, driving distracted or not even driving (autopilots), we can only WARN THEM that driving conditions in front of them are changing (Tail lights).

I will take even a microsecond advantage (the speed LEDs light up faster than a incadescent bulb) if that is what it takes for me to avoid someone driving into me from the rear.

LEDs do react faster, they are brighter when done correctly and you can really see the difference.. Just don't buy them solely for life, I have had to replace lots of LED modules and they did not have the 100,000 hrs that was claimed (11 yrs of continuous light).

bumpy

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy

Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.

I just respond to BS when I see it.
bumpy

The OP's post - "If you have regular tail, stop, turm taillights, can they be changed over to plug & play lights "

I don't see any BS. I see a question. Try to be helpful for a change or move on.

the OPs question can easily be answered with a yes or no, and references/links to replacements.
the BS comes in when the claim is made that the 10 microseconds quicker lighting up will save the world. a more effective accident avoidance would be to increase distance between you and the vehicle ahead. who here adheres to the one car length per 10 mph or whatever, from my observances nobody does. reaction times, tire/brake condition, etc. etc. have more effect IMHO.
bumpy

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.etrailer.com they have direct replacement for just about everything
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy

Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.

bumpy

The OP's post - "If you have regular tail, stop, turm taillights, can they be changed over to plug & play lights "

I don't see any BS. I see a question. Try to be helpful for a change or move on.

bumpy

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bumpyroad wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

bumpy

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Too many near misses with the road. 2 years with LED brakelights. Far fewer incidents of burning rubber noises behind me. Texting? Important to avoid collisions with heavily over insured Mexican drivers.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

bumpy