cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Closing campgrounds and no where to go

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
So what are all the full timers who don't have a physical home doing? We were looking for a house and cannot do that now either. We are in Pa. and just made it getting a spot at a campground for a month. I agree with one who said, what better way to distance than a campground. Don't the state realize some of those who full time don't have a stick built house to retreat to?
32 REPLIES 32

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Well JTS its been tough. Rving full time is not what it used to be and as is everything has been harder during the pandemic. I would suggest to you if you want to rv full time and your NOT a PLANNER, dont do it. It's not the same rving as it used to be, probably because just about everyone has an rv. You cannot just cruise around the country and find places to park anymore at the last minute. To us this was the best part of rving which is why we are looking for a house and selling the rv. If you dont plan where and when to be in an rv park you will have a problem finding places to stay, hence the stress it just to much. That's my experience anyway.Would be glad to answer any questions.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
js140. We were in a city park in TX when this all started and it never closed. We traveled from TX to MI and only had 1 park we normally stop at that was still housing first responders who were living in rv's to quarantine from their families, so no spots available for anyone overnight. It is just a small park with very few sites. We had no problem finding places to stay.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of staying in one place near Dallas.

Heading out on our first long trip of the year Saturday, at least a month later than normal. Already I've had three reservations at NM state parks cancelled, but alternatives were found. Just cost a bit more to stay in typical RV parking lots than at a nice state park.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, how did you full timers make out during this crazy time? What did you discover? Thinking about full timing for in a few years.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Private parks are open. State parks are not the only option. Expand your horizons and you will find lots of places to stay.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone hasn't seen it (I just saw it), Escapees has a good page of advise, including links to open campgrounds:

https://www.escapees.com/coronavirus/
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
My post on 3-26 said all Arkansas state parks are open, as 4-1 they are now all closed.HL

Rough2000
Explorer
Explorer
hl remington wrote:
Come to Arkansas all state parks are open.

Closed by the Governor 4/1/2020...anyone in the parks must be out 4/3/2020
If it moves but shouldn't, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use WD40.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
R. Walter wrote:
Wherever one's headed these days, I wouldn't want to be driving around with NY plates right now.
yup I'm in Florida and they just ordered check points on I-10, 95 and adding I-75. AND flights coming from NY.

Sadly the full time for rv'ers are going to be caught in the cross hairs if this. We saw a direct increase if flights and travel from NY to Florida right after they ordered a quarantine of NY.

And I'm sure everyone can understand why this had to done. A flood of people coming into Florida from 'the' hotspot of the virus could totally destroy Florida and certainly would not be fair to the people of Florida who have given up so much to keep virus from spreading
That said I'm not sure how the rv'er will be able to comply with the road checkpoints requirements.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
With more things being shut down every day, I wouldn't want to be driving around at all. Many parks are still offering monthly rates. Get somewhere for a month, and stay there would be good advice in my opinion.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next week the backyard campsite making lasagna in a Dutch Oven and sleeping in the trailer looking at the local mountains.

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever one's headed these days, I wouldn't want to be driving around with NY plates right now.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's not always easy during stressful times but try to be strong Luvmydogs, it will get better. Try to focus on something positive, even if it is something small. Cuddle with your dog, take a walk in the sun. And stay off the news sites for a bit. Maybe try some of the free online games and apps on your phone. Your phone can even tell you which are currently the most popular.

I wasn't sure by your response about stress free. But in case you missed it a few posts above Leggy offered you a place to park until winter.

Be safe, we're here pulling for you
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
My symphathies to all, what a mess this is. To the Greencastle couple, be carefull as things can change from day to day. I lived in Orlando for 25 years, if you need an info feel free to ask. We are stuck not far from you in Pa. Dont really have anywhere to go that would be less stress free than it is now, but sheltering in place is definitely easier in a house than an rv park. For the person traveling to Denver, I have to ask where are you staying? Nothing but state parks there and I assure you they will close if they havent already. Not sure why the whole country is not all doing the same thing, which makes me feel like this is going to go on for a long time. With no leadership, this is the first time in my lifetime, I feel doomed. Be carefull Rv'ers, not many people have any sympathy for us.