cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ground Control 3.0

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 KZ Durango 2500 D349BHQ. Last summer I had to replace the LF landing gear after just 3 years of use. After our last trip last fall I had unhitched and was attempting to raise the front some when the RF landing gear failed. The front of the camper dropped down when it failed and fortunately the leg was only extended a couple of inches at that point. DW was inside cleaning out the refrigerator and it was enough that it gave her a pretty good scare as she was afraid it had dropped on me. I ordered another new leg and just had the opportunity to replace it last week. When I disassembled the old leg I found that the gear in the top of the leg itself had stripped out. In the picture of the worm gear, what appears to be grease is actually the gears from the top of the leg. I have sent both KZ and LCI emails along with these pictures. I have heard nothing from KZ and really don't expect to as they have never replied to any other emails I have sent about this and another issue I was having in the past. I did receive a reply from LCI putting responsibility on KZ for deciding which units they put these on. My opinion is that LCI states the lifting capacity they are capable of and that is how the manufacturer decides what it can be used on. They were kind enough (sarcasm) to offer me 20% off on any parts that I might need. Anyway, I'm very dissatisfied with this system and would warn others not to purchase a 5er with this unless it is a very small one. Also, if you currently have this system and start hearing screeching when operating, I would stop right then. I am planning on drilling some holes in the outer portion near the top so that I can get grease to the worm gear as of now there is no way to do that. Has anyone else had similar problems with these legs/levelers?

2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi
15 REPLIES 15

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had that happen on a manual crank jack many years ago. I was able to replace just the "nut". And the replacement part worked for many years after. You might be able to have a machine shop make you a new part from steel.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
rconkin wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Considering most of the weight is on the wheels, the actual load on those front jacks isn't that high. Thousands of trailers have them and yes they do require some maintenance. They don't cost a lot and are easy to change.
B.O.

This is their auto leveling system where the two front legs work independently of each other. Depending on how level the site is, they will take some weight of off the tires sometimes. I don't consider $450.00 per legs cheap and that was the best price I could find on them. I had to buy the entire assembly which includes motor and gearbox. I don't trust them now and will return to putting boards under the tires to level side to side before hitting the auto level. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the auto level. There is nowhere to get grease in them without taking them off and disassembling them. That's why I'm thinking of drilling the hole and at least getting some grease on the gear above the leg that extends.
Whoa! They look just like the standard electric leveling jacks that many RVs have. They have a screw jack inside just like those. Might be worth comparing them.
B.O.

I would consider switching to an old style, but, would lose the ability to level with them. Each of the 4 legs have their own motor and gearbox with an integrated circuit board that counts the revolutions that they turn to know how far they are extended. I was unable to find just parts and had to order complete assemblies. The attached link says they have a 5,000 lb capacity. LCI's website says 15,500 for the total system whether it is the 4 leg electric or 6 leg hydraulic. I'm wishing now I would have bought one with the hydraulics. I asked my local dealer and they said it would cost 5-6,000 to change over to hydraulic so that's really not an option. Oh well, I'll know next time.

LCI leg
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
rconkin wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Considering most of the weight is on the wheels, the actual load on those front jacks isn't that high. Thousands of trailers have them and yes they do require some maintenance. They don't cost a lot and are easy to change.
B.O.

This is their auto leveling system where the two front legs work independently of each other. Depending on how level the site is, they will take some weight of off the tires sometimes. I don't consider $450.00 per legs cheap and that was the best price I could find on them. I had to buy the entire assembly which includes motor and gearbox. I don't trust them now and will return to putting boards under the tires to level side to side before hitting the auto level. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the auto level. There is nowhere to get grease in them without taking them off and disassembling them. That's why I'm thinking of drilling the hole and at least getting some grease on the gear above the leg that extends.
Whoa! They look just like the standard electric leveling jacks that many RVs have. They have a screw jack inside just like those. Might be worth comparing them.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Birdnst wrote:
I cannot resist Dave did you not read th op

I did but I guess it didnโ€™t translate in my question. What was the gear made of?

I'll accept that, sorry.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
What is the material clogging the screw leg?

What appears to be grease is actually the metal of the gears on top of the leg that extends. That's the second picture looking at the top of that leg where that material used to be. It was hard to get a decent pictures with my phone.
2007 Hummer H3 toad

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
Did you run them way out every time you set up, and not drop the inner legs? Just curious, but I have seen this posted before about not being able to grease them too.

I have to run them out a couple of inches farther since I have the Andersen ultimate hitch when hooking and unhooking. Otherwise, I would say no farther than any of the other 5ers I've had. I always drop the inner leg some. How much depends on the level of the site. I've had some where the slope to the front is high enough that the front landing gear have to go almost all of the way back in to get the camper level. I also use 6x6 blocks under all 4 of them when I can.
2007 Hummer H3 toad

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
B.O.

2007 Hummer H3 toad

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The nut looks like cast pot metal, can you determine what it is made of?
It's definitely not steel and your probably right guessing pot metal. That's what I would guess.
2007 Hummer H3 toad

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you run them way out every time you set up, and not drop the inner legs? Just curious, but I have seen this posted before about not being able to grease them too.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Birdnst wrote:

I did but I guess it didnโ€™t translate in my question. What was the gear made of?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The nut looks like cast pot metal, can you determine what it is made of?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Be willing to bet that the rated capacity for the jacks is well within specs, and more than enough to do the job. Now, given that it's an LCI product, the actual construction quality of the jacks is suspect from the get-go.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!