cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can You Pass Through States with Stay at Home Orders?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of heading to our boat for the summer in the epicenter of the virus. Taking it away from there and quarantining ourselves on it for the summer.

We are in Florida and are looking at going to NYC.

Delaware, for example, has a stay at home order.

Can we drive through Delaware then store the RV in NJ or should we expect to be stopped? I don't understand how this all works for travelers as it's all worded to people living in houses.
147 REPLIES 147

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
De. just anounced last night that folks coming in from other states must 14 day quateen, passing thru does not have to. At least we are a small state to get thru.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Texas governor issued an executive order that says anyone not in the excepted categories who crosses into Texas from Louisiana must go into quarantine.

Travel to and from Louisiana will be restricted to those handling essential services. He said this applies to travel by road from any location in the state of Louisiana and will be enforced by the Texas Department of Public Safety at entry points into the state. The order does not apply to travel related to commercial activity, military service, emergency response, health response, or critical infrastructure functions.

He also said people flying from Miami, Atlanta, Detroit and Chicago, California and Washington state into Texas must be self-quarantined.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I looked that up and see it happening. I think my biggest fear is that as we leave Florida they will stop us and insist we take some "extra" Northerners with us a baggage! :B

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
magic, today the announced that the check points are also set up at the Florida/Alabama line. Trying to dissuade Louisiana people, since NO is another epicenter.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Not passing judgement, but just to be clear, the Florida checkpoints are only for the southern most keys AKA The Florida Keys. The Florida governor has closed the beaches and prohibited rentals for the next 2 weeks.

Dave

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is an interesting post. I read this on Facebook and think it is relevant - if you go out, treat everything like you have the virus and don't want to pass it to others. If you do that, you should be safe and you should not spread if you are a carrier. I think this is good advice for the OP. If he needs to go home to his boat, then by all means, use caution and go. But, you might be better off just staying where you are and waiting for this to get over. If you stay safe, then you will be safe.

I did see that Florida has checkpoints at the boarder not allowing people without a purpose to enter Florida. So, those people running to the beach or a vacation home will be turned around. The best way to stop the spread is to stay put.

I do have a friend moving from Florida to California this week. He has no choice, he sold his house in Florida and has to move. Bad week to do it, but no choice. When he gets to his house in CA he will have to stay put for 14 days or so. Hopefully he stays safe when he travels. Not a good plan, but no choice.

Good Luck to you.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
HadEnough wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
I really think you need to think....................
Hunker where you can.
We are in northern Michigan leaving the Detroit area was a no brainer.
We left Florida early this year as the handwriting was on the wall. We didn't need anyone to tell us to look out for our own safety.
We stayed far from the people in our RV park for over a week before leaving.
We studied the Inet and learned of the failing of our government and realized they were either in denial or were interested in other things than the American people.
Bottom line it is your family and your neighbors this will not last forever so hunker down and stay hunkered till this leaves or is considered safe by the CDC not the current government

The boat IS the hunkering down.

Staying in Florida I have 36 unavoidable exposures to public areas over the next 6 months. Going to the boat I have 9, including 7 stops for fuel in the way up.

So the safe move is the boat. The risky move is staying in Florida.

I'm actually really glad a lot of people don't understand this or the boat would probably be stolen already. Lol

We've been on self quarantine for 3 weeks here already. Florida is just starting to pop off with Covid-19. It'll get a lot worse before it gets better. NY will have run its course by mid summer probably.

So it's been 6 days since you first posted and likely longer since you started contemplating it. Are you typing from your boat or still procrastinating?
FYI you've been sheltering in place for over a week or more, what's the difference?
Is this about the virus or just pining over your decision?
You could have been on the boat 4 days ago and long gone off of terra firma.
Who cares where you park? You have a TC. Half the problem with this is people not thinking clearly and it seems as though youre in the same boat (figuratively).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly the term โ€œarmchair quarterbackโ€ applies here.

Dave

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how travelling across a country in a pandemic is considered less risk than staying put. Since the OP also lives in their rv, they are ALREADY home. What if you break down. What if you get half way and roads close. If you leave port in the boat, you may not be allowed to return. Small ports might not allow boats to come ashore. What if a big storm comes up. If you stay at the dock, your boat might become a target for people looking for provisions. You are safe where you are. Why head into the unknown. This could all blow past in a short while, and taking the extra risk will seem foolish. This has been going on for weeks, and still many are travelling across country. Wake up people. Do you want roadblocks on the highways to stop you. If you were going HOME, you should have been there a week ago. SHEESH

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to go, I would go now before it gets worse. I would say your plan is reasonable, and you can get there with little to no exposure.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:

We got our first case of the Coronavirus in our county this week....a person from NY brought it to us.

What is that supposed to mean? A person from NY? Have some kind of problem with NY? People are carrying this thing worldwide. That is why it is called an infectious pandemic,literally (infect/spread) (pan) world wide (demic) pertaining to a population.

So once again what is your statement meant to convey?

Have virus, will travel.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Some honest Info on Covid19 from S.Korean doctor

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
cross21114 wrote:
Here's an interesting article about how RVs are being used during the crisis.
https://tiny.iavian.net/ytqg

Sorry, don't know why this is not a clickable link.

You have to use the little earth icon to post clickable links. Fixed yours.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interesting article about how RVs are being used during the crisis.

https://tiny.iavian.net/ytqg

Sorry, don't know why this is not a clickable link.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition