Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stewards Volunteers are no longer allowed

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Keep trails open

https://www.opencampaign.com/petition/forest-service-terminates-award-winning-volunteers/8183

(Moved to the Destinations category.)
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus
19 REPLIES 19

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
As long as Mom is alive we'll be in Burbank. We already lost one son and family to AZ, might look there too.

Crazy parallels. Went to the same university, married women with the same names, and now we stay in L.A. out of the same dedication to our moms.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
Thank you, nayther

In California it's very limited to where you can go off roading. In many other states it's promoted. But not in California and we're loosing more ground every year.

I've been looking at moving to Utah where OHV is actually welcome and encouraged.

Same here. Too bad all of our friends are down here.

As long as Mom is alive we'll be in Burbank. We already lost one son and family to AZ, might look there too.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
Thank you, nayther

In California it's very limited to where you can go off roading. In many other states it's promoted. But not in California and we're loosing more ground every year.

I've been looking at moving to Utah where OHV is actually welcome and encouraged.

Same here. Too bad all of our friends are down here.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Thank you, nayther

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, nayther

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
Stewards of The Sequoia has been in existence for many years. USFS encourages volunteerism to help maintain motorized and non-motorized trails (most in the forest are multi-use). I have supported Stewards financially many times. Met a ranger at Kennedy Meadows two years ago, he was very vocal about getting help but when I brought up Stewards and their upcoming work weekends, he didn't bite, I could tell there was some bad blood somewhere. The Executive Director is Chris Horgan, a VERY passionate trail user with an extensive background in trail maintenance to the point that he's come up with mitigation measures that were ground breaking.

Every winter countless trees and limbs fall and block trails and if not removed new non-authorized trails emerge as users bypass the fallen debris, some of these trees are very tall/long necessitating a long misguided trail that may damage sensitive habitat, Stewards go out every spring and clear these snags to keep the trails open.

Chris has been very vocal about the travel management plans proposed and in particular the "1/2 mile" buffer from the PCT, with the limited amount of non-wilderness land that buffer is just not possible, there are already way too many trails that do not connect, forcing users to double back, adding double the use.

Chris' mention of "freedom of speech" is that Stewards, and he, are being singled out since they stand up to the bullying tactics of the USFS (they'd rather shut ALL trails off to motorized access, reducing use and maintenance.

I too would be interested to hear how the ranger can justify denying trail maintenance access to a qualified group, that should not be allowed.

That's a great explanation. Thank you Nayther for clarifying this for us.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Keep trails open

https://www.opencampaign.com/petition/forest-service-terminates-award-winning-volunteers/8183

(Moved to the Destinations category.)

Thanks for posting
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Stewards of The Sequoia has been in existence for many years. USFS encourages volunteerism to help maintain motorized and non-motorized trails (most in the forest are multi-use). I have supported Stewards financially many times. Met a ranger at Kennedy Meadows two years ago, he was very vocal about getting help but when I brought up Stewards and their upcoming work weekends, he didn't bite, I could tell there was some bad blood somewhere. The Executive Director is Chris Horgan, a VERY passionate trail user with an extensive background in trail maintenance to the point that he's come up with mitigation measures that were ground breaking.

Every winter countless trees and limbs fall and block trails and if not removed new non-authorized trails emerge as users bypass the fallen debris, some of these trees are very tall/long necessitating a long misguided trail that may damage sensitive habitat, Stewards go out every spring and clear these snags to keep the trails open.

Chris has been very vocal about the travel management plans proposed and in particular the "1/2 mile" buffer from the PCT, with the limited amount of non-wilderness land that buffer is just not possible, there are already way too many trails that do not connect, forcing users to double back, adding double the use.

Chris' mention of "freedom of speech" is that Stewards, and he, are being singled out since they stand up to the bullying tactics of the USFS (they'd rather shut ALL trails off to motorized access, reducing use and maintenance.

I too would be interested to hear how the ranger can justify denying trail maintenance access to a qualified group, that should not be allowed.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Okay, I am not sure what this is all about, but I like to keep public lands open to, well, the public!

Is this about allowing motorized vehicles on federal lands?

You got it.
Check out their website and also a google on the subject. And read some of the comments from petition signers in the clicky. This will give you more input on the issues.
We don't have to own a Toy hauler to discuss both sides of this issue as this affect us all ..not just me.

It would be interesting hearing why this action was taken.......from the department.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I am not sure what this is all about, but I like to keep public lands open to, well, the public!

Is this about allowing motorized vehicles on federal lands?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Does anyone have information on both sides of the story?

It sure sounds like there is more to the story.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We ,the public all own and should have concern for preservation of our lands.

Use of public land for personal or business gain is prohibited. Use of lands are for business purpose are for fee.

A camp owner in the Black Hills was bankrupted because they LED horse trail rides into bhfs and CSP state lands.

On our recent snowbird trip to Az, the camp in Bouse, Az, emphazied free daily led excursions by a camp compensated ambassador. I brought it to the attention of the new owner that he should research his policy. Camp led rides and compensation for the ambassador ended the next day.

Enjoy and use our lands. The mantra of leave ony your foot prints, not tire tracks will become the norm and law.

Where the designee is licensed to use the lands, such as a concessionaire, protection of sensitive areas is guaranteed.

Not so with authorized or unauthorized motorized travel. I see a trouble arising.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, these forest service people forget who pays the bills - us. I've seen it here in AZ where a self-serving forest ranger decided, single handedly, to evict 160 single-wide trailers and make room for RV's at an AZ lake. The trailer owners fought him and won in court. Other federal rangers have told us that we're lucky they let us onto their lake (Roosevelt near Phoenix). Frankly, I have little use for these park rangers who think they own the forest.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Your apology is accepted. For all who care I don't have a "side" I was simply seeking information in order to better understand the issue.