Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 62  
Prev  |  Next
dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Quote:

The problem here is evaluation of information. In this day and age of the internet a huge amount of information is available and it is incumbent on us to evaluate that information. You can have a preconceived opinion and easily find supporting "evidence."

You're exactly correct. You may have a preconceived opinion on this and don't even recognize it.

Here is a peer review study about gaiters from Duke

This is a peer review study that shows gaiters don't even work but are in fact, according to this peer review study more dangerous to wear.

I choose to believe peer review studies like this one.

You have proved my point. I accept the study about gaiters, it says nothing about surgical masks, N95 masks or home made multilayered fabric masks. You choose one study rather than the totality of information available.

You choose to ignore the information about them.

BTW, I am a doctor with 43 years of experience dealing with infectious diseases in a general veterinary practice and have had training in public health and epidemiology. Just sayin'...

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One cannot extrapolate a gaiter study and make assumptions about masks in general. Many people do not understand the parameters of legitimate scientific studies and attempt to draw unfounded conclusions. Not only is that a major error it can be seriously dangerous.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Here is a peer review study about gaiters from Duke

This is a peer review study that shows gaiters don't even work but are in fact, according to this peer review study more dangerous to wear.

I choose to believe peer review studies like this one.

Instead of reading what a Wash Post reporter wrote about this study let’s go read what the Duke researchers published.

Low-cost measurement of face mask effica........iltering expelled droplets during speech

This is a good quote showing the effectiveness of some cloth masks and a surgical mask at blocking emitted droplets from speech. In the study (unlike the video) the performance of each mask was compared to not wearing a mask. Unlike the video where the vapor was blown out; the study measured droplets emitted during speech.
Quote:

For the control trial (green curve), the five distinct peaks correspond to the five repetitions of the operator speaking. In the case of speaking through a mask, there is a physical barrier, which results in a reduction of transmitted droplets and a significant delay between speaking and detecting particles. In effect, the mask acts as a temporal low-pass filter, smoothens the droplet rate over time, and reduces the overall transmission. For the bandana (red curve), the droplet rate is merely reduced by a factor of 2, and the repetitions of the speech are still noticeable. The effect of the cotton mask (orange curve) is much stronger. The speech pattern is no longer recognizable, and most of the droplets, compared to the control trial, are removed. The curve for the surgical mask is not visible on this scale.

This is a link to figures of their data comparing the performance of the masks tested relative to no mask.
Data Figure; there is a picture in the linked article showing all the masks tested.

* This post was last edited 09/24/20 10:21am by BCSnob *   View edit history

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mutations.

">ComToday&SUBID=56a1f18a1b&AUDID=241700........ComToday&SUBID=56a1f18a1b&AUDID=24170041

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read reports of the mutations of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Most reports have indicated that the mutations to date won't have much effect on how the current vaccines in development may work. That's reassuring if it turns out to be true.

BTW, viral mutations are not unusual. It's interesting that they can find the RNA sequence and then use these mutations to track the viral spread and form a pretty good idea where outbreaks originated and where they spread.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not convinced of that, while not widespread there are documented cases of a recovered (and presumably then immune) patient catching CoVid-19 for a second time because the second infection was a sufficiently different mutation to slide by the body's defenses.

Even the experts can't agree on how much, or if, this will be a game-changer.

Clicky, clicky.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it is worth, the mutation rates for influenza, measles, and mumps are all about the same. The mutation rate clearly does not correlate with how long a vaccine will be effective for the circulating virus strain. For measles and mumps the vaccines (or infection) provide lifetime immunity. For the influenza viruses, the immunity is much shorter because the mutations were in functionally relative locations.

* This post was edited 09/25/20 10:20am by BCSnob *

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only speak for myself with regards to this answer.

I was unfortunate enough to suffer two episodes of influenza last winter. They occurred two and a half months apart. I telephoned the CDC after the 2nd episode and continued by email.

I described my symptoms and the doctor suspected I had contracted both strains the H1N1 and H3N2. I was bedridden for 12 days in late Feb. I had received the potent senior's vaccine the prior October.

I would like to know why, at the end of both episodes I had fallen I'll again for a day. This has happened prior with the flu. Includes fever and muscular aches and pains. It is not the product of superinfection because it only lasts a day or so. The episodes are not subtle.

I would also like to know the composition of the 2020-2021 influenza vaccines since for me the prior year's inoculation was a total failure for me.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dr, Mike Yeadon wrote:

Chief Science Officer for Pfizer Says "Second Wave" Faked on False-Positive COVID Tests, "Pandemic is Over"

Chief science officer for Pfizer says "second wave" Faked........

Very interesting what a former Pfizer Chief Science officer has to say about fake and false data. I agree with the Chief Science officer that it looks like sloppy science to me.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I agree with the Chief Science officer that it looks like sloppy science to me.

Please provide peer reviewed published reports indicating the false positive rates for the RT-PCR tests. In other words fact check what someone says even when it supports your preconceived bias (which is what science does).

This is no different than accepting vape particles are much bigger than droplets that carry viruses (which is incorrect) since it supports what you want to be the truth.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 62  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.