cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water damage under shower.

Baseballwife02
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! My husband and I just purchased a 2019 Forest River Salem 32 rlds. I was doing dishes and heard a noise.. ran to the bathroom and water was coming from under the shower. Turned everything off and opened the little panel to find my WORST nightmare. Water damage. Thereโ€™s a hole cut under the subfloor thatโ€™s under the shower that apparently has been collecting water from longgggg before it was ours. I donโ€™t even know where to begin with replacing this. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. This is our first RV and weโ€™re only 2 weeks in.

Also to add... I checked all closets, cabinets, floors around the area and the subfloor does not look to be damaged at all in those areas. Just the area that was cut under the shower.
12 REPLIES 12

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If water isn't coming from that area anytime the supply side is pressurized, it is the drain side. You will have to check the drainage pipes and all connections. Don't forget to examine the traps closely. If they didn't get antifreeze in them they could have cracked.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
RV plumbing leaks are common, easily fixable and usually show up before much damage is done.

Pressurize the system, run the shower and find the leak.

I'd also check all fittings and hand tighten, only takes a few minutes.

In the future, listen to your water pump.
If it cycles without water demand, there's likely a leak somewhere.

And yes, when the grey tank reaches capacity, it shows up in the shower 1st.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Can you tell where the leak is coming from? You need to do that first before you do any repair.

^This. Then dry it out. I have had several plumbing leaks for various reasons that caused no lasting damage. The trick is to get the leak stopped first, then access the damage.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some have the floor hacked out under the shower so bad that there is little support. Then the drain pipes might take the load and crack, ask me how I know. If you can't find the problem, then pull the shower base and do it right.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't panic.

It's hard to tell what you mean but, first, fix the leak ! Then dry the floor. If the only place that got wet is under the shower, the shower floor is still firm, and the rest of the camper floor is still solid then I would not worry about it.

But, that's just me. Little things happen. I don't worry about them.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the same issue with my Forest River. Remove the p trap and remove the drain. Then stick a blow dryer into the hole.

Will take a pic of mine. Its drying right now.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My first thought when ever I read this sort of thing is whether the manufacuter used plumbers putty fo rthe drain. If so, it wont last because it is not for use on plastics(sais so on the container). Use only 100% silicone.
I've seen numerous leaks in RV's and homes because of this mistake - often made by professional plumbers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have some loose compression fittings in the drain line plumbing, pretty typical. I don't thing the Amish craftsmen know how to tighten fittings up. Had the same deal with my new one but I checked all of them before I ever used it. They were all either loose or had inadequate blocking under them or both.

Very typical, what I never buy used, only new but I go over everything before using the first time, I dislike surprises.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
Open the valve to the gray water tank -- Could e full & backing up into shower P trap -- Bill Willard

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on hondaproโ€™s comment. PRONTO!

Itโ€™s not clear if you were hooked to city water. Were you using a pressure regulator? This is why I fill the tank and use the pump.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you tell where the leak is coming from? You need to do that first before you do any repair.

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
How long ago did you buy it? Is it still under warranty? If so I would start by contacting the dealer where you bought it. Also you need to get the water dried up asap.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion