Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlsbad Caverns is closed

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Per their FB page>>>> Cavern and Visitor Center Temporarily Closed

Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities in consultation with NPS Public Health Service Officers, the cavern and visitor center are temporarily closed as of March 21.

Park roads, desert trails, and picnic areas remain open.

Updates will be posted to the park website (https://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm) and social media channels.
7 REPLIES 7

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Expected this one. Surprised it took so long.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire: 2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Leave it to the government to over react and screw up our lives.

Go out, get infected and report back. Let the 'prudent' ones know what Covid 19 is really like will ya?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I support this closure...visitor center and the cave...for social distancing reasons.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

Do you follow the news at all?

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I got stuck in those elevators after hours TWICE. Doing volunteer work with a group. We (volunteer cavers)were crammed in the first time but luckily the phone worked and maintenance guy lived on site. Second time not as crammed in and maybe a year later it stops again. This time the maintenance guy had to come from town.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand why. I'm getting too old to walk all the way in and back out and I certainly wouldn't want to get on one of those elevators with a crowd of people right now.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE