Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire HELP

Theboyztravel
Explorer
Explorer
We just took delivery of a 2020 LTV Unity RTB
I expected an on board tire pressure monitoring system. Silly me for not asking up front.
Now I find out I cannot manually check any of the rear tire pressures.
I am not the handiest guy but I felt I would at least be able to make sure I was not running low.
The local MB dealer suggested an aftermarket monitoring system.

Since there is no spare anyways and you need to to get roadside regardless.. is this something I should be worried about? Or is a visual adequate each day ?

Any thoughts or advise really appreciated.

David
8 REPLIES 8

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
theboyztravel: I traveled down the same path you're on now and went through the whole plastic/metal valve extender business for about two years. After numerous bouts of leaking/sometimes working extenders, the final straw occurred when we were out of state and I happened to notice one of my duallies didn't look right. Upon checking the pressure I found that I couldn't get a reading at all! Sooo, I pulled out the silly 12v mini compressor provided by the rv manufactuer and attempted to fill the tire with air again. The silly thing ran about 20mins until it stripped a gear and started to freewheel. Fortunately I had just enough air to make it to a service station for a fillup. Since then. I bought a Tire Minder monitoring system and a Viair compressor. Oh early on I bought a Loadmaster spare tire carrier and another rim and spare tire that is mounted at the rear. You don't really need any of this stuff until you're stuck somewhere with a failed or flat tire and then you DO!

THIS! On all counts.
-ability to measure and adjust pressure
-good compressor
-spare tire
You'll be very thankful some day.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
theboyztravel: I traveled down the same path you're on now and went through the whole plastic/metal valve extender business for about two years. After numerous bouts of leaking/sometimes working extenders, the final straw occurred when we were out of state and I happened to notice one of my duallies didn't look right. Upon checking the pressure I found that I couldn't get a reading at all! Sooo, I pulled out the silly 12v mini compressor provided by the rv manufactuer and attempted to fill the tire with air again. The silly thing ran about 20mins until it stripped a gear and started to freewheel. Fortunately I had just enough air to make it to a service station for a fillup. Since then. I bought a Tire Minder monitoring system and a Viair compressor. Oh early on I bought a Loadmaster spare tire carrier and another rim and spare tire that is mounted at the rear. You don't really need any of this stuff until you're stuck somewhere with a failed or flat tire and then you DO!

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Believe I'd check with a good tire dealer for valve extenders or even a TPMS system if you want to spend more money. Don't know if you're snowbirding in the US or are already back home, so due to the border restrictions just imposed you may have to go somewhere different than you normally would. In western USA, Les Schwab or Discount Tire are fine dealers and of course in CA you have Canadian Tire who can probably be of great assist.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 LTV Libero and the first thing I did... before delivery... was to have my dealer (who isn't into gouging his customers) arrange for metal valve extensions to be installed (replaced all 6). I got mine from the well known "Tire Man" in California who had designed them and sold them from his tire dealership. But he has since retired. There must be other sources since this needs to be done on all of these duallies it seems... I never understood why it wasn't automatic from GM, MB or Ford.

You will love your Unity. I recommend attending one of their rallies up in Winkler. (if we ever get to have rallies again) ๐Ÿ˜ž
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You might have the same problem accessing rear inner duallies I did have on my Ford. With small pokes and both valves in the same hole standart chuck would not work, so I order THIS ONE

TPMS are mandatory on US cars since 2006, but bigger vehicles don't fall under the law.
My 2017 Ford dually fortunately come with them.
I would still ***** about it to seller.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would not rely on a visual inspection to check the tire pressure.
Maybe someone with a similar model will post and give you some helpful advice.
Or maybe advise you which TPMS works best for your rig.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a LTV lot older 2007, but when I bought ours I had to have extenders put on, yours is new buy a tire pressure monitering system. not at your dealer he,ll just sub it out and charge you more . ltv great rv. P.S very important to check tires before each trip.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't you check the tire pressure with a gauge?